is it better to have a desktop motherboard without built in firewire?

Author
syntheticpop
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 688
2011/01/18 21:35:27 (permalink)

is it better to have a desktop motherboard without built in firewire?

I'm ordering parts to build my own desktop DAW system and some motherboards have built in firewire while others leave it out.  My concern is that the built in firewire may not have a TI chipset, or is that no longer a concern for firewire nowadays?  If it does have one built in and it's not TI - can it be disabled to allow the external PCI's firewire card to work flawlessly with the audio interface?  Or should I not take any chances and just get one without firewire?  I'm also concerned that adding an external firewire card will add latency and won't perform as well as one that's built in.

7 Replies Related Threads

gustabo
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2591
    Re:is it better to have a desktop motherboard without built in firewire? 2011/01/18 22:01:16 (permalink)
    FWIW, My mobo has built-in firewire that doesn't have a TI chip but I disabled it in the bios and use my card that does have a TI chip.

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
    M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
    Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad
    Adam A7X - Behritone C50A
    PreSonus Monitor Station v2 (controlling the mons)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonarusergroup/

kurrykid
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 309
    Re:is it better to have a desktop motherboard without built in firewire? 2011/01/18 23:21:36 (permalink)
    syntheticpop

I'm ordering parts to build my own desktop DAW system and some motherboards have built in firewire while others leave it out.  My concern is that the built in firewire may not have a TI chipset, or is that no longer a concern for firewire nowadays?  If it does have one built in and it's not TI - can it be disabled to allow the external PCI's firewire card to work flawlessly with the audio interface?  Or should I not take any chances and just get one without firewire?  I'm also concerned that adding an external firewire card will add latency and won't perform as well as one that's built in.

You should be able to check the specs of the motherboard you are ordering to determine which chipset they use.  Isn't that one of the biggest reasons for building one yourself...to make sure you get everything just the way you like it?

Thanks.

Dave
    Sonar 8.5E
    Intel i7-2600K
    8GB RAM
    Win7 Ultimate x64
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:is it better to have a desktop motherboard without built in firewire? 2011/01/19 06:27:41 (permalink)
    I have an Intel  motherboard and it does have the T.I. firewire chipset (two ports).  That was one of the requirements when I built the PC.  

An add on card is OK, but why go that route if the motherboard you want already has it.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:is it better to have a desktop motherboard without built in firewire? 2011/01/19 08:45:20 (permalink)
    I just built a custom DAW using the ASUS P7P55D mobo.

It will handle the i5 or i7 chip and up to16gb memory.

It has firewire built in. The firewire port works perfectly for my Saffire interface.

That was a concern for me and I was concerned that I might have to buy a USB interface, but when I hooked it up and loaded my drivers, the Saffire worked perfectly.

I don't know if it has the TI chip set but it works with my firewire interface.

I bought this mobo because it has lots of PCI slots as well. And it's loaded with USB ports.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    DeeringAmps
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2614
    Re:is it better to have a desktop motherboard without built in firewire? 2011/01/19 11:56:32 (permalink)
    Both my Win7 machines are gigabyte mb's with onboard TI compliant firewire.
    Both rock!
    Save yourself some time and heartache, I DID NOT build my i7 and it can almost read my mind!

You pays your money, you sleeps in the bed you make...

Tom Deering
    Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
    Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
    StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
    Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
    syntheticpop
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 688
    Re:is it better to have a desktop motherboard without built in firewire? 2011/01/19 17:00:27 (permalink)
    fireberd

I have an Intel  motherboard and it does have the T.I. firewire chipset (two ports).  That was one of the requirements when I built the PC.  

An add on card is OK, but why go that route if the motherboard you want already has it.

Actually, the motherboard I'm looking at either has onboard firewire or a model that doesn't.  It does not appear to be a TI chipset.  The build I'm looking at, a 1555 doesn't have any motherboards out yet that has a TI chipset - at least I was told.  So I can either get the motherboard with a non TI chipset or get one without firewire and add the external pci firewire card.  So what I'm trying to get out of my original question is:  should I take a chance on a motherboard that doesn't have a TI chipset or should I settle with one without firewire and add the firewire card with a TI chipset through pci?
    post edited by syntheticpop - 2011/01/19 17:03:12
    DeeringAmps
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2614
    Re:is it better to have a desktop motherboard without built in firewire? 2011/01/19 19:51:07 (permalink)
    In my experience you MUST have a TI compliant 1394 (firewire) port.
    If the mb port is not TI, disable it, and add an Adaptec or ADS Pyro.
    At least this is what all FW-1884 users do to keep their interface working properly.

Sorry about the earlier misunderstanding.
    (I would call Jim if it were me...)

Tom Deering
    Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
    Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
    StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
    Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1