Window 7 Firewire support, FW drive doesn't show up

Author
devilcat78
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 57
2011/01/19 17:04:28 (permalink)

Window 7 Firewire support, FW drive doesn't show up

Just acquired a Toshiba Satellite Laptop with Win7 64bit for our location recording rig, and it will not see fire wire hard drives.  It sees our M-audio1814 fine, but all firewire drives show up as "Local Disc", and are unreadable, though if I connect them via USB, they show up like normal all files intact.

We have the SIIG FW expresscard adapter with the TI Chipset, which sees the interface, just not anything else. I have re-installed Win7 3 times, looked for drivers, gone on forums, switched to the legacy drivers, and back, though you'd think that the "Texas Instruments...OHCI Driver" would be the optimum choice, but evidently not.

We need the external drive for our audio files on location, I just don't understand why the drive will show up USB, but not firewire, and not to mention ANY firewire drive really bogs the otherwise smoking fast system that it is.

There has got to be some way to remedy this problem.

System Specs below
Toshiba Satellite L305-S5941
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Sonar 8.3.1 Producer
2.53 ghz Core 2 Duo
3gb ram
200 gb system drive
M-audio 1814
SIIG Firewire Expresscard Adapter
Seagate FW/USB external drive

System Specs are:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 GHz 1333Mhz/12MB L2
4 GB DDR 2 RAM
Win XP 32bit SP3
10K SATA II Record Drives, Multiple Edit drives (SATA 2)
UAD-1 PCIe
MOTU PCI424 with 2x 2408MK3 and 1x 2408 MK1, MOTU Microlite, Lucid Gen6x WC
Yamaha 02R96 Ver1 w/ 3 16 Ch ADAT Exp Cards

1 Reply Related Threads

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:Window 7 Firewire support, FW drive doesn't show up 2011/01/19 18:35:21 (permalink)
    Try resetting the SIIG and see if helps.  I had one of those cards and sent it back as I couldn't get my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 or an Alesis IO26 (both firewire) working correctly.  I assumed it was the Acer Laptop and a compatibility problem with the SIIG adapter but maybe not with your problems. 

But, connect the SIIG then go to the Device Manager and it should be listed.  RIGHT click on the entry for the SIIG and then LEFT click "uninstall".  Then physically disconnect the SIIG and reboot the PC.  After the Windows 7 starts, reinsert the SIIG and then check the status in the Device Manager and see if it shows as "working OK".   If it is, connect one of your Firewire devices and check it's status.  If it's still bad, Go to the Device manager and uninstall the device in the Device Manager, then physically disconnect it and restart the PC.  After Win 7 starts connect the Firewire device and Win 7 should detect the new device and install it (assuming you have the proper drivers installed).   If this still doesn't work, I would suspect the SIIG.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1