Overwhelmed!!

Author
sedm0710
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 28
2011/01/20 10:32:38 (permalink)

Overwhelmed!!

Hi,

I'm trying to get used to Sonar (8.5 Producer) to make music, not having done loads of MIDI/Audio stuff since the late-90s, when I was based around a couple of hardware synth modules, and old version of Cubase VST and a couple of outboard effects. Life seemed to SIMPLE back then!

Just now, I downloaded Korg Legacy M1, for old time's sake. Was playing around with a sound, and I though I'd record a simple track on that one instrument, then play around with compression, gating, reverbs, delays, EQ etc, to experiment and start to learn a few things. This is when it gets to the bit I hate - there are just TOO MANY options when making music! 

I tried some compression, but wasn't sure if I could hear a massive difference between different ratios - couldn't even decide if the compression on that instrument (a sort of layered polysynth) was needed or not/good or bad/improved the sound or not. Then I whacked the compression up for a laugh, very high, and started playing with all the parameters. What happened? It massively affected the reverb tail! 

At which point, my brain exploded, wondering "right, would I want that massive reverb tail or not? Is that the best way to get it? How else could you get the same effect? Why didn't I know that compression would do that? Should I consider EQ'ing the reverb tail before or after it's compressed?" Etc, etc, etc....

There's twenty lifetimes' worth to learn about audio production, and I thought I knew quite a lot already. I don't even trust my ears anymore, and am thinking of dumping the PC in the bin!!

Vent over.

Daniel

10 Replies Related Threads

Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:Overwhelmed!! 2011/01/20 11:42:58 (permalink)
    I know what you mean. Of all the synth's I have, I only use a handful of sounds.

Compression takes a long time to learn, and it's effects greatly depend on what style of music you are doing. I know that doesn't help much.

I don't know if it's a rule of thumb or just the way I've come to work, but I never EQ after a compressor. In my mind a compressor is the last effect in the chain, the only other one after the compressor should be a limiter for your final volume.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Overwhelmed!! 2011/01/20 15:15:32 (permalink)
    Two synths and a cassette recorder is still a viable alternative, Daniel!

Once we get past the overwhelming number of options, everybody eventually ends up trimming their toolkit down to the essentials of what they really need. I sure have a lot of software and libraries that I thought were necessary when I bought them but now sit mostly unused.

As for compression on synth tracks, that's just something I never do (except on sampled drums). A synth already has all the control built in that you might ever want, eliminating the need for compression and many other effects. Compression, IMO, is best suited to live audio tracks and full mixes.

And you're right: compression changes reverb tails. That's why you put compression on first and adjust to taste - and then add reverb, and subsequently revisit both of them when you add your limiter to the master bus. Compression messes with other effects, too, such as EQ. Compression may even mess with other compressors further down the chain! Like Bub says, compression is a big subject.

But don't throw out your computer just yet, Daniel. Keep reminding yourself that the journey is more important than the destination. Rather than despair over the enormity of all the stuff yet to be mastered, enjoy the process and be glad you won't ever run out of new things to learn.

And if all else fails, vintage Portastudios can be had for fifty bucks or less on eBay and at garage sales.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Overwhelmed!! 2011/01/20 15:44:57 (permalink)
    Daniel.... You're like a country kid in a big city candy shop for the first time.... so many things, and they all look good, and they are.....

Will it take 20 lifetimes, probably not.  I have been hanging here for over 3 years now and have learned quite a bit from these fine folk during that time. In that time going from recording some pretty embarrassing tunes to the stuff I record nowadays...(I guess it could still be argued that some of it's pretty embarrassing still)

As Bit said.... stick with it and you will sort through it pretty quickly and settle down to using a few things that work for you.

I went through it. I had lots of VST's and FX (there's an amazing number of free and sometimes pretty decent stuff on the net) But..as time went on I pared that down to a small handful of things that worked and sounded good for me. Now I aim to perfect my use of those tools.

Give it a year minimum.... and in the mean time, start recording. You gotta record the bad stuff to learn how to do the good stuff. And one way to learn what to do is to post your recordings in the SONGS forum. People will come in, have a listen and comment on the song and the recording. That was and is one of my favorite ways to learn. Nothing like the ears some of these people here have for picking out the things that could be better.

the more you record, the better you get.

So hang out, record, and have fun.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/01/20 15:46:22

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:Overwhelmed!! 2011/01/20 16:37:58 (permalink)
    Over 10 years I have learned & relearned everything about compression, delay timing, automation, panning, EQ, tape saturation, microphones, outboard gear, room treatment, tracking, mixing and mastering and yet......I am happiest with my digital hand recorder with a single record button and a good song. It does a pretty good job, it forces me to arrange before I hit record, I can change the song on the fly without compiling a lot of worthless tracks that I have to wade through later, and it's fast. It has a built in compressor/limiter and adds a decent quality to the track and I can just load it into the DAW when a lot of the details have been worked out. The greatest resistor to creating music is the computer screen.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Overwhelmed!! 2011/01/20 21:28:34 (permalink)
    The greatest resistor to creating music is the computer screen.

You are wise, oh Man in the Middle. You know what would be cool is if the musicians played in a totally separate room and you paid somebody to sit in front of the computer and tweak the knobs for you. You could have a window in between the two rooms. Hey, that could be the future!

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:Overwhelmed!! 2011/01/20 21:48:00 (permalink)
    bitflipper

The greatest resistor to creating music is the computer screen.

You are wise, oh Man in the Middle. You know what would be cool is if the musicians played in a totally separate room and you paid somebody to sit in front of the computer and tweak the knobs for you. You could have a window in between the two rooms. Hey, that could be the future!

Brilliant, the new paradigm.... not having to be artist, recording engineer, mixing engineer, producer. People teaming up for a joint creative process. That would be wonderful future.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:Overwhelmed!! 2011/01/20 22:01:17 (permalink)
    Daniel, I'm not quite a year into Sonar after a very long layoff from recording and I definitely feel your pain.  There is just SO much to learn.  One reason you may have had a hard time with that M1 is that if it's anything like my Korg Triton, many of the FX are already built into the patches.  So, you may be piling FX on FX which could produce some pretty strange results. 

As others more experienced here have said- just hang in there and focus on making music.  It's easy to get lost in the nuances... don't fall into that trap. 
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Overwhelmed!! 2011/01/21 09:00:28 (permalink)
    When all else fails... go back to the basics.

Mix dry tracks..... and only add very small amounts of reverb.... perhaps ONLY in the master bus, not in the tracks.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    sedm0710
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 28
    Re:Overwhelmed!! 2011/01/21 13:05:36 (permalink)
    Guys, thanks for all your responses; particularly appreciate the humour from bitflipper  :o)

I shall continue - that makes sense about not adding compression to synths. My only thought was that, sometimes, is it not the "easiest" way to make something punchier, instead of spending hours fiddling with synth edit settings?

I shall get some stuff in the Songs forum soon, and sit back to wait to hear what people think, and then cry.......

D
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:Overwhelmed!! 2011/01/21 18:34:46 (permalink)
    sedm0710

Hi,

I'm trying to get used to Sonar (8.5 Producer) to make music, not having done loads of MIDI/Audio stuff since the late-90s, when I was based around a couple of hardware synth modules, and old version of Cubase VST and a couple of outboard effects. Life seemed to SIMPLE back then!

Just now, I downloaded Korg Legacy M1, for old time's sake. Was playing around with a sound, and I though I'd record a simple track on that one instrument, then play around with compression, gating, reverbs, delays, EQ etc, to experiment and start to learn a few things. This is when it gets to the bit I hate - there are just TOO MANY options when making music! 

I tried some compression, but wasn't sure if I could hear a massive difference between different ratios - couldn't even decide if the compression on that instrument (a sort of layered polysynth) was needed or not/good or bad/improved the sound or not. Then I whacked the compression up for a laugh, very high, and started playing with all the parameters. What happened? It massively affected the reverb tail! 

At which point, my brain exploded, wondering "right, would I want that massive reverb tail or not? Is that the best way to get it? How else could you get the same effect? Why didn't I know that compression would do that? Should I consider EQ'ing the reverb tail before or after it's compressed?" Etc, etc, etc....

There's twenty lifetimes' worth to learn about audio production, and I thought I knew quite a lot already. I don't even trust my ears anymore, and am thinking of dumping the PC in the bin!!

Vent over.

Daniel

And you've just seen the tip of the iceberg. But don't throw the PC into the bin, you'll only go in there after it once your brain catchs up. Your looking for more subtle changes now. It's time to release old hearing habits when the "systems on". You should consider using less of a reverb until you can't hear the compressor kill it off.

Craig DuBuc
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1