Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
2011/01/20 22:29:38 (permalink)

post edited by M@ B - 2011/01/22 10:37:58

3 Replies Related Threads

Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:mount everest... 2011/01/20 23:09:43 (permalink)
    I am at the other end of your experience. I have used the product over 10 years, know every capability, every feature set. I have customized the interface ad nauseum, used every synth, every vst, every plug in, built complex automation on tracks and effects, tweaked convolution reverbs with gates, compression and EQ. I have total understanding and power at my command (not really, but mostly) and yet.....many times....I can't think of a single thing I want record. Then it dawns on me, it's not about the computer it's about the joy and sound of making music.

I suggest pulling up one of the example project templates and play with them, slice them , dice them, experiment with fx. Keep the learning separate from your own process of writing and tracking until you get more confident.

Another one of my new rules of thumb. Record ideas on a small digital recorder, flush them out. Later take them to the computer. Everyone works different however and you will develop the style that suits you best.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:mount everest... 2011/01/21 08:54:43 (permalink)
    One step at a time.

If you are new, all the options, all the bells and whistles, will be pulling you off in many directions, I like to call them rabbit trails.

The point is to stay focused and start simply. If you load a project and try to do everything in it, you will become overwhelmed rather quickly. AND, the project will sound like crap because you don't know what you're doing...... take time and learn. You will not mix a Bill Board hit your first year.

TRY THIS: remove ALL the FX from a project. Now, with just a few bare bones dry tracks, work with it to get it sounding as good as possible. The only thing you are allowed to add is reverb. Nothing else. Add just enough that you can hear it's there, then back it off a few clicks. (trust me on this)

Here's the truth. After working in a focused way for over 3 years to become as good as I possibly can, in the majority of my current projects, the only FX I add is reverb. I might tweek the EQ on an instrument IF I feel it is absolutely needed. BUT that is all I use after all these years of mixing.

If you can not make a dry bones track sound good on it's own, adding FX will not fix it.

Don't despair. There are people here at all stage of musical & mixing development. Start with the basics, and post your BASIC song projects in the songs forum. People will listen and give you their opinion and advice. Learn from that. It's there for that reason. I have learned so much from posting there and just hearing other people's music and reading the commentary on it..... do the same, and then work for 1 year before you evaluate where you are. It will surprise you... if you stick with it.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/01/21 08:57:12

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    M@ B
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1128
    . 2011/01/21 16:26:27 (permalink)
    thanks middleman and guitarhacker for replies and your suggestions.
    post edited by M@ B - 2011/01/22 21:06:30

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1