"Believe Me" - Alternative Rock. Feel free to comment on mix.

Author
acoustigod
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 104
2011/01/21 16:25:39 (permalink)

"Believe Me" - Alternative Rock. Feel free to comment on mix.

Here's another song mixed/mastered by yours truly. It's called "Believe Me" and is Alternative Rock.

http://soundcloud.com/fecharacterguide/believe-me
post edited by acoustigod - 2011/01/22 06:40:17

Need a song, demo or album mixed to sound great? Why waste weeks or months learning how to mix when I'm sure you'd rather spend your time writing songs and performing gigs? I can mix your tracks so that they sound fantastic. My rates are very affordable. Send me a PM to find out more.

11 Replies Related Threads

ruralrocker2010
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 616
    Re:"Believe Me" - Alternative Rock. Feel free to comment on mix. 2011/01/21 17:23:23 (permalink)
    holy crap that's got some bass...can't really hear the guitar for the character it no doubt adds to this song with that bass so out in front. Prolly need to back that thing down about 6-8Db.

Vocals sound great.

Singers chromatic walk-down on the chorus is rough...a walk up harmony might solve that. oooh just heard a pitch correct artifact right at the end too.

The rest of this sounds great. Bass seems to come in line with the rest of the music at 3:41

Joshua Barnes
    Sonar Platinum / RME UCX / i5 3.2 8 GB Memory (Dell Inspiron) / Komplete 10 / Win 7 Home 64 Bit
    rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:"Believe Me" - Alternative Rock. Feel free to comment on mix. 2011/01/21 17:26:40 (permalink)
    I think this is awesome, I agree the bass is on the aggressive side? Maybe just down a notch. Other than that sounds really really good.

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    acoustigod
    Re:"Believe Me" - Alternative Rock. Feel free to comment on mix. 2011/01/21 18:01:10 (permalink)
    Thanks for the comments!

Yeah, the bass is probably too loud. My monitors are not the best and they skew it. There's a "bass" button in the back, which is "too much" and if you don't have that button pressed in, it's not enough. So I sort of have to shoot for something that sounds good in the middle without actually knowing.

Although I don't think it's 6-8db off... is it? That would be very noticeable. Lowering the bass by this amount makes it completely inaudible on both settings of my monitors.

The bass actually seems to be in check for most of the song, except for maybe the 50-80hz region.

The bass only appears to have a lower volume in the bridge because high notes are being played, so 50-80hz region is barely being hit there. Believe it or not, that is the highest point in my volume envelope.

I decided to lower the volume by 2db in all the verses and choruses, and I also low shelved a bit in that problematic region of 50-80hz. I'm a little saddened to lower the bass actually because you can't really make it out anymore, but we'll see how it goes I guess.

I don't think I can do much about his vocals. I didn't record them - I just got the tracks this way.

I'll upload it in a bit.

Need a song, demo or album mixed to sound great? Why waste weeks or months learning how to mix when I'm sure you'd rather spend your time writing songs and performing gigs? I can mix your tracks so that they sound fantastic. My rates are very affordable. Send me a PM to find out more.
    rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:"Believe Me" - Alternative Rock. Feel free to comment on mix. 2011/01/21 18:18:07 (permalink)
    "Although I don't think it's 6-8db off... is it? That would be very noticeable. Lowering the bass by this amount makes it completely inaudible on both settings of my monitors. "

Roger. 

Let me listen again.

Hum, must be a new link? Either that or you were uploading when I tried to listen?

Oops, looks like we can't find that page!

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    acoustigod
    Re:"Believe Me" - Alternative Rock. Feel free to comment on mix. 2011/01/21 18:23:59 (permalink)
    Okay, uploaded. Should take a bit since soundcloud is so slow today.

I also did a bunch of things to the vocals in the past 10 or 15 minutes. They are louder, but not really. I just did some things to make the words more audible (he sort of mumbles his way through the song).

I'm really happy with it so far. I'd like to start mixing professionally full time. I need to get some better monitors too ;)

acoustigod
    Re:"Believe Me" - Alternative Rock. Feel free to comment on mix. 2011/01/21 18:26:52 (permalink)
    rockinrobby

"Although I don't think it's 6-8db off... is it? That would be very noticeable. Lowering the bass by this amount makes it completely inaudible on both settings of my monitors. "

Roger. 

Let me listen again.

Hum, must be a new link? Either that or you were uploading when I tried to listen?

Oops, looks like we can't find that page!

It's uploaded, but soundcloud is doing stuff to process the file it's not visible yet (it's taking forever). Use this link instead, it'll sound a crapload better anyway since it's not compressed by soundcloud:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/443421/Believe_Me.mp3

(it's uploading to dropbox now, so wait like 1 minute maybe if you read this right away... lol).

Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:"Believe Me" - Alternative Rock. Feel free to comment on mix. 2011/01/21 18:41:32 (permalink)
    Maybe you could put the dropbox link in your OP.  I almost gave up. 

Yeah, that's nice.  :-)  Singer is great.  I'm enjoying the guitar-playing too.
    acoustigod
    Re:"Believe Me" - Alternative Rock. Feel free to comment on mix. 2011/01/21 19:36:12 (permalink)
    Janet

Maybe you could put the dropbox link in your OP.  I almost gave up. 

Yeah, that's nice.  :-)  Singer is great.  I'm enjoying the guitar-playing too.

Glad you found the file Janet ;) Glad you enjoyed the mix too!

ruralrocker2010
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 616
    Re:"Believe Me" - Alternative Rock. Feel free to comment on mix. 2011/01/21 19:43:20 (permalink)
    6-8Db only because of the headroom you lose when the bass is that hot. But yeah, maybe 3 is better. 8 would be very noticable...but like I said before, up until 3:40 or so, bass was almost all I could hear.

Good work though.

Joshua Barnes
    Sonar Platinum / RME UCX / i5 3.2 8 GB Memory (Dell Inspiron) / Komplete 10 / Win 7 Home 64 Bit
    acoustigod
    Re:"Believe Me" - Alternative Rock. Feel free to comment on mix. 2011/01/21 19:45:58 (permalink)
    I went with 2 or 2.5db (depends on part). The dropbox link has the newest one. That's about the lowest I can take it ;) It does sound cleaner. It's too bad I am so adjusted to these monitors. I bet it sounds more like it did for me on your monitors now with this newer mix.

acoustigod
    Re:"Believe Me" - Alternative Rock. Feel free to comment on mix. 2011/01/22 06:40:56 (permalink)
    Made some more changes to the voice, limited the track a bit more. I think this one is pretty much done. On to the next mix ;)

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1