session drummer is getting obnoxious (sp)

Author
dissfigured
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 147
2011/01/21 23:22:59 (permalink)

session drummer is getting obnoxious (sp)

recording some tracks (bass)
Session drummer keeps playing loops.

I have to click the pattern to turn it off and hat stop in session drummer.
Then I do a couple recording tracks, and it turns back on. over and over.

Is there a way to set it so session drummer never plays any loops and only plays what is in the POV track?
I don't have any of the notes in places representing loops.

crazy.

28 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:session drummer is getting obnoxious (sp) 2011/01/21 23:30:02 (permalink)
    which version of SD ?

the lower octave is used to turn loops / on off..

you need to un-arm the SD midi track .. if thats what your getting at.. as your probably recording midi notes that are meant for the bass also..

is that what your doing ? or it's live bass? (tracked)

on youtube there is an overview of it also.. if you search for it..

post edited by Fog - 2011/01/21 23:31:05
    Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:session drummer is getting obnoxious (sp) 2011/01/21 23:32:44 (permalink)
    In Session Drummer click MIDI (under PROG) and select Unload All Patterns.
    dissfigured
    Re:session drummer is getting obnoxious (sp) 2011/01/21 23:58:18 (permalink)
    I did the unload all pattens, and that seems to have worked.

What a strange behavior. I am not sure what the intent was behind making it work that way.

And yes, I am recording a live base track and session drummer 3 is the drum track.
    Chappel
    Re:session drummer is getting obnoxious (sp) 2011/01/22 00:11:56 (permalink)
    I would check the input of the SD Midi track and make sure it is not on omni (unless you have a good reason to use that) and not on the same channel as the Bass track (assuming the bass track is Midi).

It is likely that something is triggering the loops and unloading the SD patterns, while effective, is only masking the symptoms of the problem.
    DJSur
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 326
    Re:session drummer is getting obnoxious (sp) 2011/01/22 00:29:40 (permalink)

This is a bug in SD, plain and simple. (I could be wrong, but I ran out of things to try)
    When I switched to Sonar, I found it in Sonar7/SD2 and its still in current builds.
    I had SD2 all alone in a project and the midi patterns trigger without having the trigger note present. 
    Bear in mind I had a 4/4 single kick drum pattern that didn't touch the trigger notes.
    Switching the midi mode didn't fix it, so I just learned to delete all midi patterns before beginning and programming.

-D

soundcloud   acidplanet   myspace

on-line fo-rum (n) - data warehouse that provides little to no ROI 
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:session drummer is getting obnoxious (sp) 2011/01/22 07:06:36 (permalink)
    Pretty sure this is SD's Audition function working as it should.

It's certainly not a bug!

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    DJSur
    Re:session drummer is getting obnoxious (sp) 2011/01/22 10:53:55 (permalink)

Bristol_Jonesey:

So, having a midi clip audition during the start of a song on its own is acceptable to print to a mixdown?

Thanks,

-D

Chappel
    Re:session drummer is getting obnoxious (sp) 2011/01/22 11:19:35 (permalink)
    DJSur

Bristol_Jonesey:

So, having a midi clip audition during the start of a song on its own is acceptable to print to a mixdown?

Thanks,

-D

I guess I've been lucky because I've been using Session Drummer 2 for several months and nothing like that has ever happened to me.
    dissfigured
    Re:session drummer is getting obnoxious (sp) 2011/01/23 10:42:36 (permalink)
    I am using session drummer 3 and the behavior is this
    1. add synth (SD) as simple instrument track.
    2. Load the drum kit I like
    3. Audition a loop (clicking A, B, D, C, etc...)
    4. Unselect Whichever I last clicked to turn off (A, B,C,D, etc...)
    5. Click the stop button
    6. Now Alt 5 to get to POV on the drum
    7. build my drums w/ the mouse (avoiding any of the loop notes at the bottom because that exacerbates the problem)
    8. Now record an audio track and no matter where I start in the time line, it will play a measure of one of the loops. so I go back to the SD and hit the stop button and unselect a loop
    9. then I can record fine. but if I stop recording and record again, the loop auditions again. over and over. 
    the unload all helped but the behavior is annoying. I never use prefab loops so I would like them to never audition. I really only click those things to hear the drumset I am selecting.
    ChuckC
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1488
    Re:session drummer is getting obnoxious (sp) 2011/01/23 10:52:08 (permalink)
    I was having this problem a couple days ago too.  It would start a loop every time.  I must have clicked unload all patterns a dozen times.
    That is frustrating.   I am not eve sure what It was that I did to get it to finally stop that.   Sorry I can't help but I can certainly understand the frustration.

ADK Built DAW, W7, Sonar Platinum, Studio One Pro,Yamaha HS8's & HS8S  Presonus Studio/Live 24.4.2, A few decent mic pre's,  lots of mics, 57's,58 betas, Sm7b, LD Condensors, Small condensors, Senn 421's,  DI's,  Sans Amp, A few guitar amps etc. Guitars : Gib. LP, Epi. Lp, Dillion Tele, Ibanez beater, Ibanez Ergodyne 4 String bass, Mapex Mars series 6 pc. studio kit, cymbals and other sh*t.
    http://www.everythingiam.net/
    http://www.stormroomstudios.com
    Some of my productions: http://soundcloud.com/stormroomstudios
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Re:session drummer is getting obnoxious (sp) 2011/01/24 06:59:32 (permalink)
    DJSur

Bristol_Jonesey:

Thanks,

-D

No, you just have to make sure you unload every pattern in SD2 before mixdown.

Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    GomezAddams
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30
    Re:session drummer is getting obnoxious (sp) 2011/01/24 15:47:26 (permalink)
    Maybe a simple work around would be to select the 'OFF' item in the
    PRV right at the start of your composition, thereby forcing it not to play.
    dissfigured
    Re:session drummer is getting obnoxious (sp) 2011/01/25 10:49:54 (permalink)
    Never knew that is what that did.
    Thanks for the tips.
    DJSur
    Re:session drummer is getting obnoxious (sp) 2011/01/25 20:58:11 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey

DJSur

Bristol_Jonesey:

Thanks,

-D

No, you just have to make sure you unload every pattern in SD2 before mixdown.

LOL! smh 

7-string_guy
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 430
    Re:session drummer is getting obnoxious (sp) 2011/01/25 22:26:02 (permalink)
    I've had this issue before. did something while editing the piano roll. everytime i would hit play, it would start a loop and what i had right over it. thank goodness for microscopic zooming and cut and paste. '

luckily all my patterns are on my drum machine. i write them there, then hit record once and try not to ever touch it again.

I7 2600k 3.4g on a ASUS MB with 16 gb of ram
    FireFace 400 AI / Sonar 8.5 Producer / ToonTrack Superior Drummer 2
    Alesis M1 Active MKII / Ibanez 7 string / Fender Super-Sonic
    Schecter studio 5 bass / Boss Dr. Rhythm 880 , also Yamaha DTX full rack drum pad trigger system
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:session drummer is getting obnoxious (sp) 2011/01/26 11:53:34 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey

+1

This is exactly what it is.  You use SD's browser to load patterns - you audition them, and if you find one you like, you drag it into the project.  Now you have a MIDI clip in SD's MIDI track.  You don't need the drums to stay on that loop in its GUI, so you unload it.  Repeat the procedure for finding more clips.  When you're through constructing your drum track, you need to not have any loops in that audition mode.  It's logical, and works fine.

RB

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    DJSur
    Re:session drummer is getting obnoxious (sp) 2011/01/26 22:55:06 (permalink)

Thanks for the info guys. For my tastes, if its by design, I feel its poor design.

Thanks,

-D

rbowser
    Re:session drummer is getting obnoxious (sp) 2011/01/26 23:16:28 (permalink)
    DJSur

Thanks for the info guys. For my tastes, if its by design, I feel its poor design.

Thanks,

-D

Hi, DJSur - Even though the way SD works never struck me as awkward, or wrong, I do understand what you and Dissfigured are saying.  You do need to unload clips when you've assembled your drum track.  What's always made sense to me is that inside the SD interface, you're trying out clips - Then you put them in the track, and you don't want what's in the audition dock and in the track to compete.  I don't know how else it could be designed really.  But without understanding that the GUI is for auditioning, I do see how it could be confusing.

RB

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    DJSur
    Re:session drummer is getting obnoxious (sp) 2011/01/26 23:29:01 (permalink)

Hi RB,

I'm the total opposite it seems. I do find it odd even after leaning from you guys its correct purpose. All this time and I didn't know it, lol.

Interesting! Thanks, to you and Bristol for the lesson.

-D 

rbowser
    Re:session drummer is getting obnoxious (sp) 2011/01/26 23:55:30 (permalink)
    DJSur

Hi RB,

I'm the total opposite it seems. I do find it odd even after leaning from you guys its correct purpose. All this time and I didn't know it, lol.

-D 

Well I don't mean to be glib.  I do understand how the way the browser/audition thing could be confusing.  I just remember when I first was trying out SD that I somehow got a hook on how it was working, and then I didn't think about it.  But we all interact differently with things we work with.  Just get a picture of the GUI of SD as an Audition Only interface - and it'll make sense.

RB

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Re:session drummer is getting obnoxious (sp) 2011/01/27 05:19:21 (permalink)
    BFD uses exactly the same method for auditioning "grooves", as they call them.

If you hit play on the transport, it will trigger the groove as well as whatever I've dragged into Sonar. Cacophony rules!!!!

It's not perfect, but it's also difficult to know how else this can be implemented.

You want to be able to hear the loops you're thinking of putting into your composition, and you also want to hear how they sound in context, with the rest of your song tracks playing.

What I do in BFD is to find the "suite" of grooves that interest me, then drag each one onto a blank MIDI track in Sonar then delete them all from BFD's groove window.

There could be as many as 20 different clips them which can be copied to the real drum midi and tweaked further until I like what I hear. I also name them main 1, main 2, fill 1, fill 2 etc.

uncleswede
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 638
    Re:session drummer is getting obnoxious (sp) 2011/01/27 07:23:42 (permalink)
    rbowser

Bristol_Jonesey

+1

This is exactly what it is.  You use SD's browser to load patterns - you audition them, and if you find one you like, you drag it into the project.  Now you have a MIDI clip in SD's MIDI track.  You don't need the drums to stay on that loop in its GUI, so you unload it.  Repeat the procedure for finding more clips.  When you're through constructing your drum track, you need to not have any loops in that audition mode.  It's logical, and works fine.

RB

For me, I prefer to preview and drag MIDI drums clips from the media browser (with SD3 as the playback synth). Seeing as it's designed to preview/drag MIDI/audio loops that IMO is much more consistent way of building loop-based drum tracks. I would prefer a config option for SD3 so that it loads without any patterns loaded by default

---------------------------------------------------------
    How to fly - throw yourself at the ground and miss
    S8.5PE, i7-920 (XP), 6Gb RAM, Phonic Helix 12, Axiom 61 controller, JM VC3Q and mic, plus more...
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Re:session drummer is getting obnoxious (sp) 2011/01/27 08:39:52 (permalink)
    Ignore.
    post edited by Bristol_Jonesey - 2011/01/27 08:41:38

dissfigured
    Re:session drummer is getting obnoxious (sp) 2011/01/27 21:29:57 (permalink)
    I would have implemented it so if you drag it in, it plays and if you don't like it you delete it.
    want to listen to a loop, click A, B, C, whatever and hit play in SD.

Hit stop, and it doesn't play until you hit play again in SD.

Personally I don't want anything coming through my soundcard unless it is in my track view.
    I started w/ CW 4 and so I've always built all my drums in PRV w/ the mouse. I am comfortable doing it that way.

To each his own I guess. I have just decided to click the "off" note in PRV to kill the auditions. I am comfortable adding that to my routine.

Diss

Win7 Ultimate(64bit) w/ Sonar 8 Producer (64bit)
    Line 6 Toneport UX2
    4gb ram
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3600+ 2 GHz
    DJSur
    Re:session drummer is getting obnoxious (sp) 2011/01/27 23:13:08 (permalink)
    rbowser

DJSur

Hi RB,

-D 

Well I don't mean to be glib.  I do understand how the way the browser/audition thing could be confusing.  I just remember when I first was trying out SD that I somehow got a hook on how it was working, and then I didn't think about it.  But we all interact differently with things we work with.  Just get a picture of the GUI of SD as an Audition Only interface - and it'll make sense.

RB
    I hear you RB, I do. Even after understanding what it does, I still think it's a poor design to have to unload midi clips so they don't audition. For my tastes, it's just doesn't make any sense to have a temporary container to listen to something I must dispose of - whether I use it or not. 
    If I could, I would strip out the audition functionality altogether because I don't have a need for it.

Thanks,

-D

Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re:session drummer is getting obnoxious (sp) 2011/01/28 01:08:39 (permalink)
    I like the way the auditioning is implemented in Superior Drummer. Audition the whole pattern or individual kit peices and drag an drop into the track view. The ability to drag in individual kit peices to a track is a massive advantage.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    rbowser
    Re:session drummer is getting obnoxious (sp) 2011/01/28 10:15:45 (permalink)
    dissfigured

I would have implemented it so if you drag it in, it plays and if you don't like it you delete it.
    want to listen to a loop, click A, B, C, whatever and hit play in SD.

Actually, you can do that.  Look at Uncleswede's reply, #23.  You can use the browser in Sonar to click on MIDI patterns instead of auditioning them in the drum interface.

But you don't need to drag them from the browser.  Double click them, and they appear in the SD track.  And then, as you've said, dissfigured, you can just delete or CTRL+Z to undo that if you don't want the clip. - It's all the same number of clicks really, but you can work that way instead of loading the clips directly in the SD GUI.

I will audition 20 clips before I find something I want to start working with, so using the built-in audition feature works better for me.  But I wanted to come back to point out that the way you're wanting to work does work.

HOWEVER this way of using the browser doesn't work as well in X1 - I  thought I'd point that out in case people on this thread also have X1.  When you audition a clip through the browser, SD keeps playing the loop and won't stop.  It works fine in 8.5 though.

RB

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    Sickvision
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 841
    Re:session drummer is getting obnoxious (sp) 2011/01/28 10:36:52 (permalink)
    that dam loop bouton on sd3 has always been a pain to remember to click . so 2 tracks dont play is as 1 its easyer to use the browser, for shure

SONARX1-64 WIN 7-64 DELTA-1010lt 
    ASUS990 6 core with delta
    2ssd drives 16 gigs RAM
    BX5a monitorsYAMAHA 4416

http://soundcloud.com/american-metal/high-on-the-wire-pre
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1