File Location Preferences?

Author
jonathancw
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2011/01/22 12:32:59 (permalink)

File Location Preferences?

I am going through the process of reinstalling Sonar X1 and would to make improvements to my configuration settings, particularly the file locations.  Ideally, I wish Cakewalk would just publish a a white paper on the configuration settings that they use for their systems; that would help us all get past many of the set-up issues and start using Sonar for what we purchased it for...to make music!

I understand the concepts of using multiple physical drives and to keep the audio files separated from the OS drive, but I am still a little confused about how I should set the file locations.  I have three goals: (1) optimal performance; (2) effective backups; and, (3) ease of finding files. 

If you feel that you have a successful configuration that also meets the goals I stated, would you please share how you have configured the following file location settings?

Thank you!

FOLDER LOCATIONS
----------------
Project Files:       
Templates:       
Track Templates:   
Track Icons:       
CAL Files       
Wave Files:       
Video Files:       
Sysx Files:       
Play List:       
Groove Quantize:   
StudioWare:       
Drum Maps:       
Plug-in Layouts:   
Step Sequences:       
FX Chain Presets:   

AUDIO DATA
----------
Global Audio Folder:    
Picture Folder:       

7 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:File Location Preferences? 2011/01/22 12:39:13 (permalink)
    Project files (CWP and per project audio folders) always go on another hard drive, called your audio drive If you have a desktop, then it goes on another internal drive or an eSata drive.
    If you have a laptop, then it can go on an external hard drive

When you say Wave files, do you mean the pic cache? This can go on the C drive
    Exported wave files can go on your audio drive

Everything else can go on your C drive
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    garrigus
    • Total Posts : 8599
    Re:File Location Preferences? 2011/01/22 12:51:05 (permalink)
    A normal configuration is three drives (although you can always use more)..

Drive 1: Windows OS and software (like SONAR and plug-ins).
    Drive 2: Project files and audio files
    Drive 3: Streaming sample library files

SONAR X1 now puts all content files in a Content Files folder location. I would recommend either putting that on Drive 2 or on a separate drive. That takes care of all the folder locations you listed.

Global audio and project files on Drive 2.

Keep the Picture Cache on Drive 1 with the OS and software.

Scott

--
    Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series. Get Sonar X1 Power - Today! Go to: http://www.garrigus.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free SoundTech Vocal Trainer Package, go to: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Publisher of NewTechReview - free consumer technology newsletter. Win a free i2i Stream Wireless Music Pack, go to: http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/
    metal_bassist
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 111
    Re:File Location Preferences? 2011/01/22 12:51:06 (permalink)
    I keep projects (like CJ says, CWP and per project audio folders) on my audio drive, but I direct wave and video folders there, too. Maybe that is because I am still stuck in Pro Audio land?

Maybe someone that really understands the new Sonar folder system better can chime in with a detailed explanation on the where and why of folder locations, or CJ could elaborate?

DAW: SX3ePE / Win8.1pro x64 / i7-4770K / Z97 Extreme6 / 16GB G.Skill DDR1600 / Samsung XP941 / Intel 730 240GB Audio Drive / Kingston V300 Series SSD x2 / Hitachi 2TB ext (Backups) / EVGA GeForce 1GB GTX460 SE

Mixer n Monitors: Presonus SL16.4.2/JBL LSR4326/M-Audio BX8a

Keyboards: Korg Kronos73

Pedals: POD H500X/POD X3 Live/TC VL2

Basses: Tobias Growler 5/Tune TWX5 & TWB43

Guitars: Line6 JTV89F/Ovation El Ac Gtr

Mics: SP C1/SM58/other mics

Drums: Alesis DM10 StudioKit w/ AD2 & Superior Drummer 2.4
    metal_bassist
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 111
    Re:File Location Preferences? 2011/01/22 12:58:13 (permalink)
    Thanks, Scott. That clarified for me, too.

DAW: SX3ePE / Win8.1pro x64 / i7-4770K / Z97 Extreme6 / 16GB G.Skill DDR1600 / Samsung XP941 / Intel 730 240GB Audio Drive / Kingston V300 Series SSD x2 / Hitachi 2TB ext (Backups) / EVGA GeForce 1GB GTX460 SE

Mixer n Monitors: Presonus SL16.4.2/JBL LSR4326/M-Audio BX8a

Keyboards: Korg Kronos73

Pedals: POD H500X/POD X3 Live/TC VL2

Basses: Tobias Growler 5/Tune TWX5 & TWB43

Guitars: Line6 JTV89F/Ovation El Ac Gtr

Mics: SP C1/SM58/other mics

Drums: Alesis DM10 StudioKit w/ AD2 & Superior Drummer 2.4
    siris1977
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re:File Location Preferences? 2011/01/22 13:13:16 (permalink)
    I have a 1tb hard drive (D for ex.) just for audio/ sonar files. all my locations for audio etc. in pref. goto that drive.

I keep my (c) 1tb  just for progs and related files.

For backup I use a 1.5 tb xternal hard drive

you can also network the drives if you have more than one machine ( 64bit , 32bit)  and have ALL audio goto the audio drive and use the an xternal for both machine's backups.

Phenom Quad core,  8gb ram, 3.5tb of Fine Music Storage Vault Under Armed Guard w/ UAV support (air-hog chopper), set of MA-15D, Delta 10-10 pci w/interface, m-box 3 pro, projectmix I/O, Metal Pop Filters, Two SKB cases Full of Suck Removal Buttons, Cedar Walls, Stripper Pole (helps with mastering & block priceing) more stuff i'm to lazy to add. ;)
    P.S. good Memory foam is freakin awesome. 
    jonathancw
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:File Location Preferences? 2011/01/29 20:34:16 (permalink)
    Scott,

Thanks for your reply.  BTW...your "Power" books are great references.  I pre-ordered your latest; I just wish it was ready now.

Based on your response, here is how I ended up setting up my Sonar file locations...

During the initial install and using the advanced options, Sonar asks for several file locations.  The following are how I responded:
    • Install Sonar X1 Producer to: C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\SONAR X1 Producer
    • Shared Folders: C:\Program Files\Cakewalk
    • VST Folder: C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins
    • Plug-In Content Folders:
      • Perfect Space: C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins\Perfect Space
      • RXP: C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins\RXP
      • Session Drummer 3: C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins\Session Drummer 3
      • Application Content Folders: E:\Cakewalk Content
    After the install was complete, I went to Preferences->File->Folder Locations and adjusted the file location for the Project Files and Video Files.  The final file locations look like:
    • Project Files:        E:\Cakewalk Projects
    • Templates:        E:\Cakewalk Content\SONAR X1 Producer\Project Templates
    • Track Templates:    E:\Cakewalk Content\SONAR X1 Producer\Track Templates
    • Track Icons:        E:\Cakewalk Content\SONAR X1 Producer\Track Icons
    • CAL Files:        E:\Cakewalk Content\SONAR X1 Producer\CAL Scripts
    • Wave Files:        E:\Cakewalk Content\Audio Library
    • Video Files:        F:\Cakewalk Video Files
    • Sysx Files:        C:\Users\Jonathan\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\SONAR X1 Producer\Sysx Files
    • Play List:        E:\Cakewalk Content\SONAR X1 Producer\PlayList Files
    • Groove Quantize:    C:\Users\Jonathan\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\SONAR X1 Producer\Groove Quantize Files
    • StudioWare:        E:\Cakewalk Content\SONAR X1 Producer\StudioWare Panels
    • Drum Maps:        C:\Users\Jonathan\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\SONAR X1 Producer\Drum Maps
    • Plug-in Layouts:    C:\Users\Jonathan\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\SONAR X1 Producer\Plug-in Menu Layouts
    • Step Sequences:        E:\Cakewalk Content\SONAR X1 Producer\Step Sequencer Patterns
    • FX Chain Presets:    E:\Cakewalk Content\SONAR X1 Producer\FX Chain Presets
    Finally, I went to Preferences->File->Audio Data and changed the Global Audio Folder.  The final projects folders look like:
    • Global Audio Folder:    E:\Cakewalk Projects\Audio Data
    • Picture Folder:        C:\Cakewalk Projects\Picture Cache
    Does this set-up look correct?  Any additional tweaks?  For back-up purposes, is it sufficient to back-up the E (Content) & F (Video/Sample Library) drives or are there additional folders located in the Sonar Programs folders that should be included?

Thanks again for everyone's input...Jonathan
    post edited by jonathancw - 2011/01/29 20:36:07
    garrigus
    • Total Posts : 8599
    Re:File Location Preferences? 2011/01/30 12:14:54 (permalink)
    Thanks, Jonathan! I hope you enjoy the book. I just finished writing it and now the publisher has to put it through the editing and publishing stages. It should be out in about a month... http://garrigus.com/?PowerBooks

Yep, you're folder setup looks good... although, you could also move the Sysx Files, Groove Quantize Files, Drum Maps, and Plug-in Layouts to the E drive as well, if you want. That way everything is in one place and much easier to back up.

Scott

--
    Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series. Get Sonar X1 Power - Today! Go to: http://www.garrigus.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free SoundTech Vocal Trainer Package, go to: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Publisher of NewTechReview - free consumer technology newsletter. Win a free i2i Stream Wireless Music Pack, go to: http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1