How do they make Drumless backing tracks from famous bands ?

Author
Norrie
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1665
2011/01/22 14:16:37 (permalink)

How do they make Drumless backing tracks from famous bands ?

Hey guys

I was siting about today and rather than my normal practice on the kit I thought I wnder if theres any cool free drumless tracks worth jaming to......

I found this http://www.drummerworld.c...showthread.php?t=53894

How do people manage to get the drums out ?

This is the actual real songs just no drums at all good Idea for learning cover songs

I would be interested to know how this was done.

My very uneducated guess is the they have come from Play along CDs from the mags Drummer and Modern Drummer etc..... That way the record company folks are leting them do it ?

Am I Right or is there actualy a trick to this ?

Also I actualy enjoyed playing along to them today any one know of any others that are the real deal ?

Thanks to all

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
Pro Tools 11
Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
Adam A77x
i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz

8 Replies Related Threads

Mooch4056
    Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7494
    Re:How do they make Drumless backing tracks from famous bands ? 2011/01/22 15:29:47 (permalink)
    Norrie

Hey guys

I was siting about today and rather than my normal practice on the kit I thought I wnder if theres any cool free drumless tracks worth jaming to......

I found this http://www.drummerworld.c...showthread.php?t=53894

How do people manage to get the drums out ?

This is the actual real songs just no drums at all good Idea for learning cover songs

I would be interested to know how this was done.

My very uneducated guess is the they have come from Play along CDs from the mags Drummer and Modern Drummer etc..... That way the record company folks are leting them do it ?

Am I Right or is there actualy a trick to this ?

Also I actualy enjoyed playing along to them today any one know of any others that are the real deal ?

Thanks to all

Norrie

Click "mute"  on the drum tracks of the original mix in the DAW program  used to record them will elimnate the drums 

click "mute" on and specific instrument or vox tracks of the original mix in the DAW program used to record them will elimnate that specific instrument 

at times - depending on  how the song was mixed and or panned - one can take it out with the EQ - but thats a poor way to do it - and never really eliminates them fully  - so dont even go there talking about that - like you can eliminate the flour from the pizza after its all ready been cooked -- NOT!

also - if you really didnt all ready know the answer to this - you have to read up on recording studio's and what multi-tracking is - 

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
    Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

Norrie
    Re:How do they make Drumless backing tracks from famous bands ? 2011/01/22 15:46:34 (permalink)
    Hey man

I think you got the wrong end of the stick on this one......

I know if I have a track of my own then yes hit mute or just delite the track

I was talking about any other track not one of my own to take the drums out

For instance the Alesis Vocal Zapper could take vocals out of a finished track from what I am lead to belive but I have never used one.

I am trying to ask how are the companys or whoever takeing the Drums out of the songs

I would be suprised If Paramore Disturbed Blue oister cult etc had given them there tracks and said here load that in to your daw take out the drums and give it out as a play along track.

Thats why I was saying that in the UK on some mags you can get drumless tracks with full notation on them to learn the tracks same with total guitar man with backing tracks with no guitar and all the tab to learn the track :)

I just wonderd how this worked was there a way to take them out if you took a track of a cd or MP3 .....

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re:How do they make Drumless backing tracks from famous bands ? 2011/01/22 16:27:00 (permalink)
    Norrie

Hey man

I think you got the wrong end of the stick on this one......

I know if I have a track of my own then yes hit mute or just delite the track

I was talking about any other track not one of my own to take the drums out

For instance the Alesis Vocal Zapper could take vocals out of a finished track from what I am lead to belive but I have never used one.

I am trying to ask how are the companys or whoever takeing the Drums out of the songs

I would be suprised If Paramore Disturbed Blue oister cult etc had given them there tracks and said here load that in to your daw take out the drums and give it out as a play along track.

Thats why I was saying that in the UK on some mags you can get drumless tracks with full notation on them to learn the tracks same with total guitar man with backing tracks with no guitar and all the tab to learn the track :)

I just wonderd how this worked was there a way to take them out if you took a track of a cd or MP3 .....

I don't think there's any realistic way to remove the drums, especially from a rock track.  A kit is usually spread through the full spectrum high/ low and left/right.  There's no way to isolate it.

I bet Paramore etc DO give out the tracks.  More specifically their record label hires an engineer to remix the tracks.  Quickly mute the drums, make slight adjustments to compensate, and then quickly master it.  Just like they do for karaoke tracks.
    They then license this to magazines or specialty companies that deal in "missing instrument" tracks and karaoke albums.
    The band would have no specific hand in this, but would just reap royalties like any other sale...

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    Norrie
    Re:How do they make Drumless backing tracks from famous bands ? 2011/01/22 16:32:06 (permalink)
    That makes sence when you put royalties in to it :) I never thought about it like that.

I was just curious as the tracks on the link above are just the real thing but with no drums.

Thanks for the reply

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:How do they make Drumless backing tracks from famous bands ? 2011/01/22 16:37:52 (permalink)
    They do it with this special device:

Norrie
    Re:How do they make Drumless backing tracks from famous bands ? 2011/01/22 16:39:24 (permalink)
    A VIBRATOR

I knew I was missing something haha

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Mooch4056
    Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7494
    Re:How do they make Drumless backing tracks from famous bands ? 2011/01/22 16:44:16 (permalink)
    mike_mccue

They do it with this special device:

LMAO @ Mike - High five on that one 

Funny 

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
    Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re:How do they make Drumless backing tracks from famous bands ? 2011/01/22 16:45:32 (permalink)
    Lol, that explains the shocked look on Will Smith's face!!

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1