Good for you!

Author
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
2011/01/25 08:13:42 (permalink)

Good for you!

So, here's a little story about the most powerful thing I have ever learned in life.

I once worked for a guy that came to work every day in a tank top. He never cared much about running a tight business. He barely kept his commitments to his customers. Sometimes he'd make you a deal... "Ok, that's 3 bucks for this and 15 for that... hey just make it $20 and we're good" and I would watch the customers eat it up... every body loves a deal... even if the price just went up. :-)

I couldn't figure out how the guy pulled it off... he had the gift of a magician... it seemed like everyone loved him.

When we accepted a check and the customers offered their ID he say... "I don't need that... you need that... what do I want with that?". We had 1 bounced check in 5 years... and that got settled amicably.

How did he do it?

Well I finally figured it out...

No matter how crazy, deluded or impractical an idea anyone had... my mentor would reply in all sincerity:

"Good for you!"

Of course, sometimes we'd call the cops right after the customer left :-)

I came to realize that he had learned to share the gift of acceptance with pretty much everyone he met. I learned that encouraging other people to chase their dreams is the greatest gift one person can give to another person.

I'm not saying I'm any good at it... but he was/is and seeing it in action was/is a thing beauty.

Good for him!!!

all the best,
mike

6 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Good for you! 2011/01/25 08:29:48 (permalink)
    Cool story..... is it true?

I think there are many people like this who have figured out a few things about human nature.... many of them become politicians.... and the more likable, those who have mastered the "Good for you" concept,   rise to great heights....sometimes warranted, sometimes not..... sometimes it's good and many times  it ends badly.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    • Total Posts : 9200
    Re:Good for you! 2011/01/25 08:37:51 (permalink)
    What a great story Mike.

Good for you! 

Mekashi Futo
    Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Good for you! 2011/01/25 08:38:52 (permalink)
    Yes, 100% true.

His dad owned a Italian butcher shop and grocery in Brooklyn NYC and I think he learned a lot about human nature as a kid watching the interchanges at the counter.

I always imagined his dad was a thumb on the scale entrepreneur.

He was always incredibly generous to anyone who needed help or a discount... and then he'd work those magic deals with other folks that didn't mind getting a *deal* where they actually paid more than the listed price. It was like working for Robin Hood.

I worked for him in Florida... we are still the best of friends.

I'm feeling a need, I may go stop by his shop today for lunch.

:-)

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:Good for you! 2011/01/25 08:39:29 (permalink)
    One of the greatest of those kind gifts I got given, and I regularly benefit from many 'em daily here there and everywhere, wasn't the well-known idea that 'The Truth Will Set You Free'.

No siree, it was the caveat that before it sets you free the realization of what the truth actually is will be very likely to piss you off very badly at first. (well speaking for this stubborn cuss at least)

This started to teach me that very little of what goes on during the course of a day is actually conclusive and that it is all a work in progress and the Kiplingesque view of success and failure is really true they are just points on a scale of the same stuff.

So good for my mentor who taught me to centre myself and just keep on keepin' on and mostly the knocks I take along the way are just a consequence of me not paying attention somewhere earlier along the way.

After all you guys give me all the clues I need.

So good for you indeed.

post edited by Jonbouy - 2011/01/25 08:42:01

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Good for you! 2011/01/25 08:44:08 (permalink)

"No siree, it was the caveat that before it sets you free the realization of what the truth actually is, is very likely to piss you off very badly at first."

My Dad, the former training instructor, taught me that when I was 3.

That's probably why I share the truth with other people with out apparent remorse.

It actually hurts me as much as it hurts them.... but it usually takes years for "them" to come back and say thanks for sharing.

I'm not saying I'm good at it....

all the best,
    mike

:-)

Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Good for you! 2011/01/25 09:11:15 (permalink)
    Great story.  Thanks.  :-)

One of the best books I've read (a few times) about dealing with fellow humans is 'How to Win Friends and Influence People.'

Your friend might have written a few chapters...
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1