Gain Setting

Author
ardjunc
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 39
2011/01/25 13:21:30 (permalink)

Gain Setting

I am new to Sonar and would appreciate any observations and advise more seasoned users can offer on the use of the channel gain control.

I'm assuming the control functions the same as the input gain of any stand alone mixer and is most often used to adjust the input signal to provide optimum range of the channel volume fader.

If my assumption is correct will turning down the channel gain to accommodate pushing up the output of my Line 6 POD to reduce background noise from the unit have an impact on the recorded signal? I am bypassing my mic preamp and plugging the Line 6 directly in to the sound card.

I have a related question regarding the gain setting on my M-Audio DMP3 preamp. Is it best to try to get the preamp gain knob(s) up around the 2:00-4:00 position? I always thought you get less noise from equipment at near max output.

Thanks,

Ardjunc

Sonar Producer X3d Expanded
Advanced Studio by J. Roseberry
i5 760
8 GB RAM
W7 X64
M-Audio: Audiophile 192, DMP3

6 Replies Related Threads

ba_midi
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:Gain Setting 2011/01/25 13:50:45 (permalink)
    ardjunc

I am new to Sonar and would appreciate any observations and advise more seasoned users can offer on the use of the channel gain control.

I'm assuming the control functions the same as the input gain of any stand alone mixer and is most often used to adjust the input signal to provide optimum range of the channel volume fader.

If my assumption is correct will turning down the channel gain to accommodate pushing up the output of my Line 6 POD to reduce background noise from the unit have an impact on the recorded signal? I am bypassing my mic preamp and plugging the Line 6 directly in to the sound card.

I have a related question regarding the gain setting on my M-Audio DMP3 preamp. Is it best to try to get the preamp gain knob(s) up around the 2:00-4:00 position? I always thought you get less noise from equipment at near max output.

Thanks,

Hi,  I don't know what you do know or don't about such things, but I can say that "gain staging" is an important thing to be managed in all audio situations.

What that means is - the level coming IN to Sonar should be normal, and the level being recording IN Sonar should be normal.   I won't go into what I mean by normal - that might take a few posts lol.

BUT one thing I STRONGLY suggest is to get a book like "Mixing Audio" or similar to learn about "gain staging."
    Gain staging is crucial to a good outcome and applies throughout the signal chain.

Some things I'll point out --

The faders on the track strips/mixer strips are "post faders".  This means that everything in the channel strip comes befor e fader so the fader is the 'last' element (hence post fader).   Post simply means "after".

The TRIM control is "pre-fader" (pre means "before").   This is typical of almost any software OR hardware mixer.

Sends, for example, can be pre or post.  There are reasons to use either, subject to the desired outcome.

A pre-fader signal is, in effect, a "copy" of a signal that is not subject to fader movements on the source track.
    A pos-fader send WILL be subject to fader movements on the source track.

SO there are times to use one technique vs the other.

Again, I recommend getting yourself a really good book on all this.  Knowledge is the true way toward a successful outcome, especially when it comes to audio.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    ardjunc
    Re:Gain Setting 2011/01/28 10:05:36 (permalink)
    Thanks for your input. I found the signal flowchart on page 811 of the manual and see that the hardware and soft synth inputs bypass the gain control. I tested the assumption and indeed found that the gain setting has no affect on the signal coming in from either my microphone preamp or my line 6 POD.

I believe I found the answer to my own question.

Ardjunc

i5 760
    8 GB RAM
    W7 X64
    garrigus
    • Total Posts : 8599
    Re:Gain Setting 2011/01/28 17:34:36 (permalink)
    Correct... SONAR can't control your sound card input settings. That needs to be done via the sound card itself, either via hardware controls (if provided) or the sound card mixer software.

Scott

--
    Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series. Get Sonar X1 Power - Today! Go to: http://www.garrigus.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free SoundTech Vocal Trainer Package, go to: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Publisher of NewTechReview - free consumer technology newsletter. Win a free i2i Stream Wireless Music Pack, go to: http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:Gain Setting 2011/01/28 17:48:24 (permalink)
    Plugging directly into a computer is almost never a good way to plug in analog from a professional device. Have you ever seen a rating on a mini-jack on a computer (+4, -10)? Line level, Hi Z? They just don't make a professional level built in computer soundcard.

Craig DuBuc
    ardjunc
    Re:Gain Setting 2011/01/31 12:45:19 (permalink)
    Thanks for the verification Scott. I am looking forward to purchasing your X1 book. Hope it's out soon.

Just to clear up any misconception, I am plugging my POD 2.0 into a M-Audio 192 PCI card. The max input specs are +14.2dBu. I have also run the POD 2.0 into a M-Audio DMP3 before the 192 card with no issues other than my impression that I was introducing the potential for adding un-necessary noise to the signal. The specs for the DMP3 are max input balanced/unbalanced +14.6dBu, max output +27.5 dBu. Leading to my question.

I was always under the impression that less processing in the signal chain the better. Of course taking into consideration the need to match impedance between equipment.

Ardjunc

Ardjunc

i5 760
    8 GB RAM
    W7 X64
    garrigus
    • Total Posts : 8599
    Re:Gain Setting 2011/01/31 14:01:04 (permalink)
    ardjunc

Thanks for the verification Scott. I am looking forward to purchasing your X1 book. Hope it's out soon.
    Thanks, Ardjunc! I just finished writing the SONAR X1 Power book and now the publisher needs to put it through the editing and publishing process. It should be available in about a month. In the meantime, it's available for pre-order today: http://garrigus.com/?PowerBooks

Scott

--
    Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series. Get Sonar X1 Power - Today! Go to: http://www.garrigus.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free SoundTech Vocal Trainer Package, go to: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Publisher of NewTechReview - free consumer technology newsletter. Win a free i2i Stream Wireless Music Pack, go to: http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1