Home Studio Compressor parameters

Author
whack
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1188
2011/01/27 17:15:41 (permalink)

Home Studio Compressor parameters

Ok,

Ive read up a good bit on compressors and have been tricking around with home recording studio for a few years now.

Can someone please explain the home studio 6xl compressor (image below).

My main question is about the "input gain",circled red on the left of image below. After you've compressed your signal using threshold and ratio and attack and release setting,if you increase the input gain what happens??

I take by turning this dial,that you are increasing the signal into the compressor,but does this mean that the compressed signal above the threshold setting will now be greater (the same boost as the input gain) or am I gaining an advantage that I am boosting my track signal level and the compressor is now working harder on the compressed signal above the threshold setting? I just seem to feel that when I turn it up the levels just all go up?!

Im trying to get the quiet parts of my track to increase in volume is this the setting that does this?

I presume that the "level" knob (circled red on right) just merely increases the overall output just like a master fader?

Does 0.01 stand for 1 millisecond on this compressor?

If people could answer these questions it would be great so I can finally wrap this up for once!

Cian

http://img257.imageshack.us/i/cwstudiocompressor.jpg/

post edited by whack - 2011/01/27 17:19:45

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning

4 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Home Studio Compressor parameters 2011/01/27 17:45:41 (permalink)
    you are correct that the INPUT GAIN control will increase the amount of signal which gets compressed.  what that means is that all dynamic levels of the signal you are compressing is now higher than before you changed the input gain and that means that the settings you have on the compressor are simply compressing the higher input signal.

if you increase the input gain, however, that will increase the lowest points of the signal which means the threshold will kick in sooner than it would have for a lower input.  It also means that the compression set by the ratio will compress harder for a signal that is already hotter.

so yes, the compressor will work harder to compress the input signal if it has increased from before.

"seem to feel the levels go up" - no disrespect intended - but that's your perception about the way it sounds, it's not based on analysis of the signal.  what really is happening when you increase the gain with the other compressor settings staying the same is that you are actually increasing the overall RMS when it it output.  so the output signal is more compressed than it was before you increased the input gain, but the overall RMS has also increased because of the input being increased.

ok - now the real question: 
    Im trying to get the quiet parts of my track to increase in volume is this the setting that does this?
    yes and no.  you can increase the quiet parts by increasing the input gain, but that is not ALL that increasing the input gain does (as I explained above, hopefully to your satisfaction).

you'd have to increase the input gain and change the threshold (as a minimum) in order to affect only the quiet parts without increasing the overall rms output.  reducing the output gain will also help with this but all that is really doing is acting as a volume slider for the output.

so if it were my track and I were trying to increase the volume of the low parts then yes, I'd increase the input gain and I'd probably reduce the output gain and increase the threshold and maybe adjust the ratio depending on the way it sounds when those are done. 

that's because the ratio might need to be adjusted because the dynamics are changing due to the threshold changing!

make sense enough?

and finally to answer your last question:
    does .01 stand for 1 millisecond on this compressor?

no, for one thing 1 millisecond = 0.001 seconds, not 0.01 (that's 10 milliseconds)

for attack and release, yes, it should be 0.01 = 10milliseconds.

for the other settings, they're in decibels (dB) well, except for the ratio which is just a simple ratio, no units.

hope that helps!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    whack
    Re:Home Studio Compressor parameters 2011/01/28 16:02:28 (permalink)
    Beagle, thanks for your indepth reply.

(1) Do you know Ive been studying engineering for 5 years and I couldnt get the millisecond thing correct?!.......poor!

(2) I have read your post 7 times. I understand that my increasing the input gain with the same compressor settings, you are increasing the rms (perceived loudness) of the track, which is what I am aiming to do in fact, and I understand that by increasing this that the compressor is now working harder and so may give a more overly compressed feel to the track (may be bad).
    However, as you say, if you increase the input gain and also have to increase the threshold value, is that not the same things as doing nothing,kind of like, trying to touch a person who is two steps ahead of you, you move a step forward and then he moves a step forward, no difference!

(3) Can we take an example, my male vocals lets say would usually reside averagly at -12db and often peak to -6db lets say.

Typical compressor settings, would they include;

ratio of 4:1 for this, threshold set at maybe -10db, attack 10ms, release a bit after that say 40ms. Could I then increase the input gain by a value of 1 (which I presume is 1db), probably without having to touch any other settings?

Bear with me on these, Im nearly getting the hang of it!

Cian

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Home Studio Compressor parameters 2011/01/28 16:19:24 (permalink)
    2) yes and no.  it's not a linear relationship, tho.  increasing the input gain by 1dB and decreasing the threshold by 1dB will not give you the same output.  there will still be a difference between the two settings.  and I can't give you specifics on HOW to obtain the exact same output after you've increased the input because part of it is going to depend on the programming algorithms of the particular software FX you are using.  the other variables are due to the ratio - which gives you a 4:1 or whatever setting you're using as a multiplier.  and plus your sampling rate will have a SMALL amount of affect on it - it would be complicated to try to explain why and thus your attack will have a SMALL amount of affect on it as well due to when the samples fall.

3) if you do what you're describing here you shouldn't have a problem doing it, but the result is that you will be compressing heavier than when the input gain was -1dB lower.  adjusting your input gain by 1dB is not going to affect the output by a LOT, but it will adjust the overall rms a little and it will compress just a little more so that the quieter parts will be louder, but the louder parts will not be louder than they were before you adjusted the input gain.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    whack
    Re:Home Studio Compressor parameters 2011/01/30 11:51:04 (permalink)
    Thank you Beagle, this will suffice.

Cian

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1