3 PC's in one - 3 OS' or one?

Author
craigb
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41704
2011/01/28 14:20:54 (permalink)

3 PC's in one - 3 OS' or one?

Thanks to the economy, lack of jobs and financial institutions taking all my money, I'm WAY behind the times with my computers (the newest is over five years old!).  I used to try and keep my PC's separate for their tasks for many reasons and have one for work/personal, one for gaming and, of course, one for the music studio (last at SONAR Producer 4).  Needless to say, all of these need to be upgraded but due to that first sentence I won't be able to afford to do all three.  Actually, let's put the gaming PC off for now as well (it's not as important as you approach 50 ;-)

The work PC needs to be pretty beefy to handle things like 3D Modeling (AutoCAD, Inventor, etc.), large photo editing and my wild 35mb spreadsheets.  Hopefully it will also be fast enough to run iTunes (pun intended for those who have large music libraries ;-)
Needless to say, if I'm already going to have to spend some money for this, I'm considering combining all usage into one PC - i.e., spending a lot on one box instead of compromising on multiple boxes.

I see two ways of doing this:  1) Try to run everything from the normal boot drive, or 2) Have multiple boot drives and select which one to use during bootup.

Currently I'm leaning toward the second option because I'd prefer to keep the environments separate (plus disk space is finally cheap so I can have separate hard drives for each usage).

What I'm wondering is if there are any pros or cons to this approach.  I realize that there might be some hardware issues, but I don't think these would be a reason to go with option 1.  What do you guys think?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Separate thought...  Since there are always so many "What PC should I get to run the latest version of SONAR?" type questions, what about having a sticky thread that details the minimum requirements, the recommended requirements as well as a list of what's NOT necessary (including things like hardware and OS processes, etc.).  That way the general inquiries are handled.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!

11 Replies Related Threads

jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    Re:3 PC's in one - 3 OS' or one? 2011/01/28 18:11:23 (permalink)
    no need for more than 1 OS on 1 system and no partitions... no separate profiles.

you can have audio/video/gaming and internet all on the same system with due diligence.
    get MS Essentials for AV
    spybot to cover the rest
    neither effect audio use.

if you stay off Pron and warez sites as well as some online gaming software (steam is fine)  you will be fine!
     if not you get what you deserve anyway...

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:3 PC's in one - 3 OS' or one? 2011/01/29 00:23:07 (permalink)
    Unless you plan to pay Microsoft for three licenses, you would be well advised to just use one system on one boot drive.
    zgraf
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 350
    Re:3 PC's in one - 3 OS' or one? 2011/01/29 05:14:59 (permalink)
    I like the multi-boot option, as it effectively isolates each environment from the others.  As slartabartfast indicates, you may need to pay Microsoft for each O.S., which is a disadvantage.  But you can D/L a trial version of Win 7 (OK for audio) or Win 2008 Server R2 (OK for non-audio apps) that is valid for a few months, if you're hurting for funds.  If you run the same O.S. under each partition and if you are only using one O.S. on one machine at a time, you may only need to pay for one license -- but check the terms of the license to make sure.  

Freddie H
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re:3 PC's in one - 3 OS' or one? 2011/01/29 05:56:53 (permalink)
    No, you only need ONE OS if you going to run WINDOWS. Windows 7 x64.
    If you need a second OS it would be LINUX but I doubt you have any need of that?

By the way Auto Cad are in x64. You want definitely run Windows 7 X64 if you working with CAD.

post edited by Freddie H - 2011/01/29 05:58:56

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
    craigb
    Re:3 PC's in one - 3 OS' or one? 2011/01/31 05:11:05 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies!  First of all, the OS licenses aren't an issue - I've got a few.

Since it sounds like the consensus is only one OS is needed, I take it that Windows 7 doesn't need to be refreshed occasionally like previous versions did due to registry bloat?

I also have found that programs like AutoCAD, the online backup service I use (Carbonite), versioning and release software like Turtle (used with Visual Studio programs and such) plus all the database servers tend to add context menu items, add tons of extra processes and, generally, just use up a lot of resources.  All of those things are needed for the work portion of the PC, but I'd like to keep them away from the music and gaming parts.

Then there's my gaming gear should I decide to add it.  I have a racing chasis with built-in 7.1 surround (with a racing seat, racing wheel and pedals).  What would I need to do to differentiate those control and audio systems from the ones I use with the music studio (a MIDI Sport 8x8 and a Layla 24 currently)?

*Sigh*  Maybe I'll just have to make enough money to buy more than one PC...

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:3 PC's in one - 3 OS' or one? 2011/01/31 06:35:33 (permalink)
    Before you do anything, check the compatibility of the "old" software you have.  Some may not be Win 7 compatible.

Also check the hardware compatibility BEFORE doing any actual Win 7 install.  Some older hardware does not have Win 7 or at a minimum Vista drivers and will not work.  Older ADI198X (Soundmax) integrated audio is one that is NOT compatible. 

Microsoft has a Win 7 Upgrade Advisor  Click Me  and you should run that to see what is and isn't compatible
    One response notes "Spybot".  I would advise using Malwarebytes for malware/spyware scanner over Spybot.  I had to "clean" a client's PC recently that had malware on it.  I ran Spybot and it didn't detect any problems.  I ran Malwarebytes and it found the problem malware plus 4 other spyware/malware items and allowed me to get rid of all of them and save having to reformat and reinstall for the client.

post edited by fireberd - 2011/01/31 06:39:34

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    craigb
    Re:3 PC's in one - 3 OS' or one? 2011/04/17 03:01:46 (permalink)
    jcschild

no need for more than 1 OS on 1 system and no partitions... no separate profiles.

you can have audio/video/gaming and internet all on the same system with due diligence.
    get MS Essentials for AV
    spybot to cover the rest

if you stay off Pron and warez sites as well as some online gaming software (steam is fine)  you will be fine!

I'm resurrecting this thread to ask Scott a question.  We're closer to getting the next deposit from a customer (when we can actually start buying things), so I'm curious.  As you mentioned above, I should be able to run both work stuff and my studio from the same computer.  However, if I'm understanding the other threads correctly, the best DAW's are specifically setup just for audio.  Doing a little research is showing me that, if I'm not trying to create a cutting-edge gaming PC, the prices are reasonable (your site says "recommended $2,000ish" for the Sandy Bridge DAW's) so I may just hold off and get one box for work and another for my studio (especially since the company should be paying for the work one).

Now I really like what I've been hearing about your 4.5 ghz over-clocked DAW's so Scott, I'm wondering does ADK only build systems for audio?

Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re:3 PC's in one - 3 OS' or one? 2011/04/17 17:47:32 (permalink)
    zgraf

I like the multi-boot option, as it effectively isolates each environment from the others.
    Me too.  My previous setup consisted of a dual-boot PC with 2 installations of Windows XP.  Boot1 functioned as the family computer whereas Boot2 was DAW only.  Boot2 was a lean installation with only Sonar and plug-ins installed (plus a few essential pieces of other music-related software).  It had no internet connection, no virus protection or firewall and fewer background services were running.  All unnecessary hardware such as printer and scanner were disabled.

Sonar was installed on both boots and it ran noticably better on Boot2.  Projects would load in a fraction of the time.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:3 PC's in one - 3 OS' or one? 2011/04/17 18:15:12 (permalink)
    craigb

jcschild

get MS Essentials for AV
    spybot to cover the rest

I'm resurrecting this thread to ask Scott a question.  We're closer to getting the next deposit from a customer (when we can actually start buying things), so I'm curious.  As you mentioned above, I should be able to run both work stuff and my studio from the same computer.  However, if I'm understanding the other threads correctly, the best DAW's are specifically setup just for audio.  Doing a little research is showing me that, if I'm not trying to create a cutting-edge gaming PC, the prices are reasonable (your site says "recommended $2,000ish" for the Sandy Bridge DAW's) so I may just hold off and get one box for work and another for my studio (especially since the company should be paying for the work one).

Now I really like what I've been hearing about your 4.5 ghz over-clocked DAW's so Scott, I'm wondering does ADK only build systems for audio?

craig - I can't answer for Scott and I know you are asking him specifically, but have you gone to the ADK website to look around?

http://adkproaudio.com/

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    craigb
    Re:3 PC's in one - 3 OS' or one? 2011/04/17 18:32:26 (permalink)
    Been there, but didn't see any non-audio or video type PC's offered.  The reason I thought I'd ask is that I also don't know of any place to buy a pre-overclocked PC that's been made stable before I get it.  Scott's done far more work on determining the best and most stable configurations so I was curious if he does the same for basic work PC's too.

jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    Re:3 PC's in one - 3 OS' or one? 2011/04/18 08:32:55 (permalink)
    HI Craig,

under the Navagation
    Computers: video

or just go here

www.adkvideoediting.com

so yes we do both pro audio and pro video as well as animation (and gaming, servers etc)
    and yes we do office systems or even barbones.

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1