No Synth output

Author
ailerom
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11
2011/01/30 05:04:42 (permalink)

No Synth output

I can see meter output activity from BFD2 but there is no sound.

Track 1 - not audible but visually active:
BFD2, midi data, output selected is BFD2, tried with input echo on and off.

Track 2 and 3 - audible and working great.
Both mono guitar tracks with Revalver as the FX.  Output to master.

I'm out of ideas.  Any tips on what I can try next would be great.

18 Replies Related Threads

ba_midi
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:No Synth output 2011/01/30 05:13:43 (permalink)
    I don't know your level of expertise, but you're not giving enough info I think.
    What version of Sonar?  What system specs?

How did you insert BFD?   Do you have the latest updates?   Is it 32 or 64bit? Etc.

It really is hard to help people without enough info to do so.

So can you elaborate as fully as possible? 
    There are a LOT of helpful users here, so you can count on that if you provide the info to start.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    ba_midi
    Re:No Synth output 2011/01/30 05:16:02 (permalink)
    BTW, do you have this problem with ALL plugins or just BDF2?

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ailerom
    Re:No Synth output 2011/01/30 05:36:43 (permalink)
    Thanks for the help.

It is happening with all vsti plugins.  I have the latest version of Sonar X1 Essential 32bit.

My system:
    Intel S1156 Core i5 750 2.66GHz Quad Core CPU
    Gigabyte S1156 GA-P55-UD3 Core i5 Motherboard
    DDR3 4GB 1333MHz RAM
    ASUS 9500GT 512MB PCIe Video Card HDMI
    Windows 7 64bit
    Focusrite Saffire 6 USB

I'm very new to Sonar but not so much to other DAWs.  I've become very used to Tracktion but currently trying to make the leap to something with a future.
    ailerom
    Re:No Synth output 2011/01/30 05:41:49 (permalink)
    Sorry forgot to add how I insert BFD.

I "insert midi track, drag the midi file to the track.  Load BFD2 in the Synth Rack and select my preset.  Then I select BFD2 as the output for that track.  As I said I can see activity on the meters but there is no sound except from the audio tracks.
    ba_midi
    Re:No Synth output 2011/01/30 05:42:19 (permalink)
    ailerom

Thanks for the help.

It is happening with all vsti plugins.  I have the latest version of Sonar X1 Essential 32bit.

My system:
    Intel S1156 Core i5 750 2.66GHz Quad Core CPU
    Gigabyte S1156 GA-P55-UD3 Core i5 Motherboard
    DDR3 4GB 1333MHz RAM
    ASUS 9500GT 512MB PCIe Video Card HDMI
    Windows 7 64bit
    Focusrite Saffire 6 USB

I'm very new to Sonar but not so much to other DAWs.  I've become very used to Tracktion but currently trying to make the leap to something with a future.
    Each DAW certainly have differences, but "conceptually" they are similar.

So I suspect your being new is why you may be experiencing this.

So based on this, I suspect (and I could be wrong) that it MAY have to do with how you insert the plugin (synth).

Are you using drag and drop, or "Insert Synth" menu option?  And if so, from where (the Browser, or the drop down menus, etc)?

In general - if you use the Insert Synth option in menus, selecting the appropriate options are important (ie, making sure Sonar creates the necessary MIDI/AUdio linked tracks, even if using a "Simple Instrument Track" or not).

So if you can explain how you're trying to get the synth (BFD2 in this case?) into your project, it might help us help you.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
    Re:No Synth output 2011/01/30 05:45:08 (permalink)
    ailerom

I "insert midi track, drag the midi file to the track.  Load BFD2 in the Synth Rack and select my preset.  Then I select BFD2 as the output for that track.  As I said I can see activity on the meters but there is no sound except from the audio tracks.

I didn't see this reply until I responded to your previous one, Sorry.

Ok, it's ok to do it that way if you fully understand the mechanism in Sonar.

But may I suggest, for now (until you learn more about Sonar) that (assuming you're using X1) that you open the BROWSER and choose the "Instrument" (or is it Synth?) TAB and then literally drag/drop the synth into a blank area of the project and let Sonar do the housework, so to speak.

See if that works/help?  And let us know?   Obviously there variations on all of this (based on your setup) but try this and see if it at least gets you going?

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
    Re:No Synth output 2011/01/30 05:47:20 (permalink)
    ailerom

To further explain --- a MIDI track is fine, and then associate the audio track to the BDF2 plugin is good -- but you also need to make sure the MIDI track is also setup correctly.

This is why it's MUCH easier to either "Insert Synth" (menu options) or just drag the plugin to your project (see my other post).  You can always put MIDI data on the MIDI track.

But first try to get the setup working, then go from there.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Chregg
    Max Output Level: -51.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2382
    Re:No Synth output 2011/01/30 05:47:32 (permalink)
    As I said I can see activity on the meters but there is no sound except from the audio tracks.

thats where ther sound is ment to come from amigo, the "audio tracks", the midi track is for sending data to what ever synth, not for sound, peace
    ba_midi
    Re:No Synth output 2011/01/30 05:49:08 (permalink)
    Chregg

As I said I can see activity on the meters but there is no sound except from the audio tracks.

thats where ther sound is ment to come from amigo, the "audio tracks", the midi track is for sending data to what ever synth, not for sound, peace

True.  But he's said he's new to Sonar.  Like any "complex" software (no DAW software is that easy really), he may not fully understand the 'connection' and 'relationship' to the tracks.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ailerom
    Re:No Synth output 2011/01/30 06:08:47 (permalink)
    Thanks for the help.  I think I'm getting somewhere.

Could someone explain the difference between a midi track and an instrument track.  That's a new concept to me.

I seem to have found the solution.  I tried to change my midi track to an instrument track and it says I need an audio track outputting to the same synth.  So I did that and hit "Make Instrument Track".  Problem solved as far as audible output goes.  I'm a bit confused now though.  I have an instrument track labeled BFD and I can place effects onto the track as well.  It just leaves me wondering what a Midi track is for.  There were no midi and audio tracks in Tracktion, just tracks, so excuse my newbiness.
    Chregg
    Re:No Synth output 2011/01/30 06:09:16 (permalink)
    True.  But he's said he's new to Sonar.  Like any "complex" software (no DAW software is that easy really), he may not fully understand the 'connection' and 'relationship' to the tracks.

sorry i couldn't of explained it better, just out my bed lol, would the op be better just to load in an instrument track, then go through a few tutorials and get the head right into it, cheers
    Chregg
    Re:No Synth output 2011/01/30 06:17:37 (permalink)
    Could someone explain the difference between a midi track and an instrument track.  That's a new concept to me.

an instrument track is basically a combination of an audio and midi track, rather than having the two tracks there, you just have the one, and like you said you made an instrument track out of the two. a midi track is what controlls the synth i.e drawing in notes in the pianoi roll view and playing the tracks, which then sends midi data to the synth to trigger the notes which in turn sends the audio out to the audio track, so when you look at the way its routed, midi goes out to the synth and the synths goes into the audio track, cant think of any easier way to say it, but keep playing with it and it will become 2nd nature, hope this helps, or billy can find an easier way of telling you mate, cheers
    ba_midi
    Re:No Synth output 2011/01/30 06:36:22 (permalink)
    ailerom

Thanks for the help.  I think I'm getting somewhere.

I seem to have found the solution.  I tried to change my midi track to an instrument track and it says I need an audio track outputting to the same synth.  So I did that and hit "Make Instrument Track".  Problem solved as far as audible output goes.  I'm a bit confused now though.  I have an instrument track labeled BFD and I can place effects onto the track as well.  It just leaves me wondering what a Midi track is for.  There were no midi and audio tracks in Tracktion, just tracks, so excuse my newbiness.

It's late for me, so I can't spend the time now ... but in simple terms:

MIDI data is performance data (digital).  It's like commands being sent to a synth to play a note, at various velocity levels - etc. 

The synth itself is what makes the sound from the "commands" it gets (ie, The MIDI data).

So there has to be a relationship .. that is, the MIDI track talks to the Synth's "audio" track. 

In Sonar you can have "Simple Instrument Tracks" (so-called SITs) which looks like ONE track but "under the hood" is both the MIDI _and_ AUDIO relationship to the synth.

OR you can insert separate MIDI and Synth AUDIO tracks and they are linked (ie, the MIDI data points to the input of the synth, and the AUDIO track sends the Synth's output to the sound device in your system).

Since it's late for me (been out dancing lol) - I strongly urge you to spend time with the Sonar "Reference" guide.  The manual, basically.    You will learn so much if you do - and then whatever isn't clear, this is a great forum to get help.

But I hope what I've said steers you in the right direction.

I'll check back tomorrow after some sleep ;)
    good luck and good music making.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ailerom
    Re:No Synth output 2011/01/31 05:53:08 (permalink)
    Thanks to both of you for the help.  TBH I'm at a bit of a loss as to the use of a midi track outputting to an audio track, if I can do the same with an instrument track.  But until I figure that out I think I'll follow your advice and stick to instrument tracks for synth output.

Usually I just want a stereo output from a synth so I guess the best setting is "Simple Instrument Track".  That seems to create a track with stereo out.  Sound about right?  If that is correct I'm feeling pretty good about being able to use Sonar.
    Supercomposer
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 259
    Re:No Synth output 2011/01/31 06:00:49 (permalink)
    you should verify your first 5 digits of your serial first. Watch out, there is a built in audio output security function in the non legit versions which will send a 100db signal through your audio interface and crash it.

ME is the Supercomposer, and all your base are belong to us (Yes, I mean Germany)

System Spec: CPU 2x X7560 Xeon 16-Core, 48 GIG Ram Kingston, Intel with Supermicro Workstation MP Boards, RME HDSPe, PNY Quadro 6000
    ba_midi
    Re:No Synth output 2011/01/31 12:44:42 (permalink)
    ailerom

Thanks to both of you for the help.  TBH I'm at a bit of a loss as to the use of a midi track outputting to an audio track, if I can do the same with an instrument track.  But until I figure that out I think I'll follow your advice and stick to instrument tracks for synth output.

Usually I just want a stereo output from a synth so I guess the best setting is "Simple Instrument Track".  That seems to create a track with stereo out.  Sound about right?  If that is correct I'm feeling pretty good about being able to use Sonar.

Simple instrument tracks are probably best if you are not using "multi-out synths/plugins" and you want to keep things ... "simple" ;)

I don't use SITs because I like having more control over the audio and MIDI, but there's no reason not to use SITs if that's what you feel comfortable doing.

And, yes, the SIT is basically a combination of the MIDI track and AUDIO track rolled into one track with the MIDI data visible and the audio handled under the hood, so to speak.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
    Re:No Synth output 2011/01/31 12:45:49 (permalink)
    Supercomposer

you should verify your first 5 digits of your serial first. Watch out, there is a built in audio output security function in the non legit versions which will send a 100db signal through your audio interface and crash it.

I'm guessing you're trying to be funny, but it doesn't help in a thread where users are trying to figure things out to side-track it with unrelated comment, imho.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ailerom
    Re:No Synth output 2011/02/02 05:02:13 (permalink)
    ba_midi
    Simple instrument tracks are probably best if you are not using "multi-out synths/plugins" and you want to keep things ... "simple" ;)

I don't use SITs because I like having more control over the audio and MIDI, but there's no reason not to use SITs if that's what you feel comfortable doing.

And, yes, the SIT is basically a combination of the MIDI track and AUDIO track rolled into one track with the MIDI data visible and the audio handled under the hood, so to speak.

Thanks again.  I would occasionally use multiple outs.  I did try loading the multiple output version of BFD2 but that looked like chaos, at least now.  The instrument track will get me a long way and may be all I ever use other than audio tracks.  Till next time, thanks for the help

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1