Automation control & drum pads...

Author
tones120
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20
2011/01/30 09:24:28 (permalink)

Automation control & drum pads...

1) I want to know if there's a way to control my automation on traks via some kind of midi controller?

Can this be done with Sonar HS 7XL & what to get if it's possible. Plus, how do you set it up?

I can't stand tweaking things with my mouse, I'd rather be able to control a knob or slider with my hand.

2) As for making beats, I want to control them outside of the program via a drum pad for example. However, once again, I'm not sure if this program is right for it? Can it be done?

Sorry for a double whammy of questions but I'm a novice in seek of knowledge!

3 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Automation control & drum pads... 2011/01/30 15:14:44 (permalink)
    yes, it can be done.  a lot of people use controllers like the behringer BCF2000, presonus faderport, mackie control pro, etc.

but you can also use a keyboard if it has knobs or sliders that you can use to assign functions in sonar. 

use ACT to learn the MIDI functions of the controller.  I have never used it myself, so I can't help a lot there but there is information in the help files on how to use ACT.

as for #2 - I'm not sure what you mean by "control them from outside the program"  are you wanting to know if you can trigger an audio loop using MIDI?  if so, then yes, dropzone used to come with SHS, but I don't know if it still does.  it can trigger audio loops based on MIDI inputs.  other than using dropzone if you don't have it, then you'd have to find a sampler to use.  there may be some free ones on kvraudio.com I don't know.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    tones120
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re:Automation control & drum pads... 2011/01/30 17:57:06 (permalink)
    Right ok, I'll check out some of those. I take it you can use pretty much any Midi/USB mixer though? Always been interested in doing it. Sadly my Midi keyboard doesn't have any sliders or anything.

As fot the the second question, I want to play the drums on a sampler pad?

Can you assign Dropzone samples to each pad for example? I usually make drums through the step sequencer but I've always to call up different drum sounds on the fly, whilst I play if that makes sense.
    57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Automation control & drum pads... 2011/01/30 20:50:38 (permalink)
    You can use any MIDI-capable device to trigger any soft synth. I sometimes use my SR-16 drum machine, or the keys on my MIDI keyboard, or my brother's electronic drum kit to input MIDI data.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1