Track grouping in X1 isn't easy like in 8.5

Author
gmp
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1033
2011/01/30 13:32:39 (permalink)

Track grouping in X1 isn't easy like in 8.5

In 8.5 I can group the volume controls of 6 backup vocal tracks by first selecting them all for quick groups by dragging the small blue triangle. Then clicking volume control on one track. This has all the volumes now grouped. To make it permanent all I have to do is right click one volume control and choose a group color.

In X1 there are no quick groups. You have to right click the volume for each track one at a time and choose group and a color. This process wouldn't be so tedious if you could use the keyboard to choose color, but no, you have to meticulously move the mouse to the correct color for each track. Each color has a letter assigned to it, like red is "A". Yet if you hit "A" it doesn't choose red.

In the help file under grouping controls, it also mentions that you can click on the volume control and then Control click a 2nd volume control and they'll be grouped. I tried this in the track view and console view and neither worked at all.

Maybe I'm missing something here, so if anyone knows how to do any of this in X1 or has a workaround let me know.

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
http://gprecordingstudio.com/
Album Productions and Songwriter Resources
Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T

20 Replies Related Threads

Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    Re:Track grouping in X1 isn't easy like in 8.5 2011/01/30 13:36:16 (permalink)
    It was easier and more functional in 8xx. However, we have been told that a lot of that functionality was unintended and that many were simply incapable of the mouse control it took to use it.
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:Track grouping in X1 isn't easy like in 8.5 2011/01/30 13:42:58 (permalink)
    Select the tracks you want to control and the hold the ctrl key while you move the parameter you want to change. Works on everything from volume,etc to track ins & outs.
    HumbleNoise
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2946
    Re:Track grouping in X1 isn't easy like in 8.5 2011/01/30 13:49:55 (permalink)
    Also with no track selected if you hold the cntrl key and change a parameter ALL the parameters will change in every unselected track. It's kie there's a default quick group of all tracks if none are selected.

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
    MAudio 2496
    Yamaha MG 12/4
    Roland XV-88
    Intel MB with Q6600 and 4 GB Ram
    NVidia 9800 GTX
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:Track grouping in X1 isn't easy like in 8.5 2011/01/30 13:52:33 (permalink)
    HumbleNoise

Also with no track selected if you hold the cntrl key and change a parameter ALL the parameters will change in every unselected track. It's kie there's a default quick group of all tracks if none are selected.

That's handy to know. I quite often find I need to put in an extra headphone mix buss on all tracks or something similar.
    garrigus
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8599
    Re:Track grouping in X1 isn't easy like in 8.5 2011/01/30 13:56:48 (permalink)
    Also keep in mind that changes are only made to the same track type so if you change something on an audio track, only audio tracks are affected. Same with MIDI tracks.

And bus changes only work with other buses, and all buses are affected since you can't select buses.

Scott

--
    Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series. Get Sonar X1 Power - Today! Go to: http://www.garrigus.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free SoundTech Vocal Trainer Package, go to: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Publisher of NewTechReview - free consumer technology newsletter. Win a free i2i Stream Wireless Music Pack, go to: http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/
    gmp
    Re:Track grouping in X1 isn't easy like in 8.5 2011/01/31 12:39:49 (permalink)
    10Ten

It was easier and more functional in 8xx. However, we have been told that a lot of that functionality was unintended and that many were simply incapable of the mouse control it took to use it.

I don't buy their argument. I've very fast with the mouse, but there's no way that method could compete with the old better, more efficient, time saving 8.xx method. When I buy a new improved program, it's expected that we won't be going backwards as far as speed, efficiency and ease of use. Yet this is an area when X1 drops the ball.

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T
    gmp
    Re:Track grouping in X1 isn't easy like in 8.5 2011/01/31 12:44:32 (permalink)
    FastBikerBoy

Select the tracks you want to control and the hold the ctrl key while you move the parameter you want to change. Works on everything from volume,etc to track ins & outs.

This works just like the old "quick groups". It seems like they could take it one step further and let all those tracks be grouped when assigning a group color to one of those tracks. Unfortunately you have to select them one at a time.

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:Track grouping in X1 isn't easy like in 8.5 2011/01/31 13:23:58 (permalink)
    selecting tracks in the console veiw can only be done in order..you cant skip over tracks when selecting muliple ones..am i wrong?..in the track view you can
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:Track grouping in X1 isn't easy like in 8.5 2011/01/31 13:48:53 (permalink)
    gmp

FastBikerBoy

This works just like the old "quick groups". It seems like they could take it one step further and let all those tracks be grouped when assigning a group color to one of those tracks. Unfortunately you have to select them one at a time.

There are many problems with X1 but there are also many myths. One of which is the above. you don't have to select them one at a time at all.

Quick groups are improved in that you can now quick group just about everything in the track whereas in 8.x you couldn't group Input, Output, Send selection etc etc.

To make a permanent group using quick groups in X1.............

Select the tracks you wish to group controls in. Right click on the control you wish to group and select save. Move onto the next control and repeat.

I can't see how that's any harder than in 8.x - I'd call it an improvement because of the added controls. Each to their own though.
    gmp
    Re:Track grouping in X1 isn't easy like in 8.5 2011/01/31 14:20:42 (permalink)
    FastBikerBoy

gmp

FastBikerBoy

There are many problems with X1 but there are also many myths. One of which is the above. you don't have to select them one at a time at all.

Quick groups are improved in that you can now quick group just about everything in the track whereas in 8.x you couldn't group Input, Output, Send selection etc etc.

To make a permanent group using quick groups in X1.............

Select the tracks you wish to group controls in. Right click on the control you wish to group and select save. Move onto the next control and repeat.

I can't see how that's any harder than in 8.x - I'd call it an improvement because of the added controls. Each to their own though.

Thanks for busting my myth. You're absolutely right. This is just as easy and efficient as 8.xx.

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:Track grouping in X1 isn't easy like in 8.5 2011/01/31 14:23:23 (permalink)
    No worries. The trouble is X1 is quite buggy that's true, but there is also lots of mis-information out there too. It's just a matter of sifting through that to get to the facts.
    gmp
    Re:Track grouping in X1 isn't easy like in 8.5 2011/01/31 16:27:02 (permalink)
    FastBikerBoy

No worries. The trouble is X1 is quite buggy that's true, but there is also lots of mis-information out there too. It's just a matter of sifting through that to get to the facts.

Thank you. I'm just slowly easing into X1 and haven't used it for any work only experimenting. Since you're really up on this, can you tell me if others are reporting lots of crashes when tinkering with 8.5 files or are the crashes with other activity? I find that especially when I open files that are already mixed and have automation recorded that X1 crashes over just minor stuff, all with the transport off. Opening windows, adjusting parameters, experimenting with automation and grouping, etc.

Maybe part of it is the way I've written automation. I always select the tracks, arm them for automation, go to bar 1, hit automation snapshot, then hide all envelopes so I don't see tons of lines, then choose view volume envelope. Maybe X1 doesn't like all the envelopes, even though the volume is the only one used.

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:Track grouping in X1 isn't easy like in 8.5 2011/01/31 18:42:43 (permalink)
    I don't know about being "really up on this" - I'm just trying to learn/use it as best I can.

The crash situation seems very hard to pin down. I and others are using it without many, if any crashes at all, while others are reporting that it's unusable. It's very hard to make any sense of TBH.

I can only report things as I find them. There are others that will do the same - and plenty of others complaining that don't even own or use the program.

I personally am using it for working on several projects that started life in 8.3, have had a little editing in 8.5 (I got it on the free upgrade deal so didn't use it for long) and I'm finishing them in X1. I've also started projects in X1 that I am yet to finish. So far without any troubles other than the known bugs, which are annoyances rather than show stoppers (for me)

I don't use a whole load of automation envelopes. I tend to use what I need per track which tends to be volume, pan, some EQ and other effects automation including send levels. Somwhere between 2 & 8 envelopes per track would be about average for me. Occasionally it's more but not very often. I haven't had any crashes in my normal use at all.

The only crash I have had was when I was experimenting with buss automation copy & paste. It was in a discussion with another user on here (ba_midi) when we were trying to track down the behaviour of a bug.

If you are using X1 at the moment and it seems stable apart from projects from 8.x with lots of envelopes you might be on to one of the problems. My advice would be to work on a copy of any important projects so if something does go wrong you have something to go back to.

In my experience X1 is stable. That's not to say there aren't bugs 'cos there are. Some are obvious and annoying, others are quirky, some are easily worked around once you are aware of them and some are a PITA.

Sorry I can't be more help but as I said there doesn't seem to be any sort of pattern to how it behaves for people. I'm on a supposedly under-powered system and it works for me, others are on powerful systems and get nothing but problems. I gave up trying to make sense of computers and software a long while ago. Illogical logic is how I'd describe them.

Hopefully X1b will sort out most of the bugs. Roll on Feb/March.
    chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:Track grouping in X1 isn't easy like in 8.5 2011/01/31 23:07:15 (permalink)
    very helpful mr biker...very helpful..gotta say,you offer a lot to this group..much apreciated on my end
    revsnd
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 206
    Re:Track grouping in X1 isn't easy like in 8.5 2011/02/01 09:36:20 (permalink)

to make a permanent group using quick groups in X1............. 

Select the tracks you wish to group controls in. Right click on the control

you wish to group and select save. Move onto the next control and repeat. 

I still don't understand how having to select each control "after it's already been selected by control clicking it" and and having to repeat the process 10 + times for a group of BGV's.   Am i mssing something obvious?
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:Track grouping in X1 isn't easy like in 8.5 2011/02/01 10:08:31 (permalink)
    Maybe my post is a little unclear. Here's an example on how to make two groups, one that controls volume and another that controls pan.

1. Select all the tracks you want either by shift clicking to get a continuous group or ctrl clicking for non-adjacent tracks. Release all mouse buttons etc. So you now have a lot of selected tracks

2. In any one of those tracks right click the volume and select "save as", then you can name the group. Every volume in all of the selected tracks is now part of that group.

3. Right click on any of the selected tracks pan control and select "save as", name that group.

That's it.

Obviously you can keep selecting as many controls as you want and making more groups. The point being you don't have to add each track one at a time, you add them all at once as long as they are selected.

If you want all tracks you don't even have to select any, just right click on the control and "save as" - that adds all tracks to that group.

The only exception to that is you can't mix MIDI & Audio.

The point is statements such as

"It was easier and more functional in 8xx. However, we have been told that a lot of that functionality was unintended and that many were simply incapable of the mouse control it took to use it. "

are just completely untrue and show a lack of understanding on how X1 works.
    HumbleNoise
    Re:Track grouping in X1 isn't easy like in 8.5 2011/02/01 10:31:11 (permalink)
    FBB, I see a 'save' command but no 'save as'. Same there? Pretty slick either way and thanks for the tip.

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
    MAudio 2496
    Yamaha MG 12/4
    Roland XV-88
    NVidia 9800 GTX
    revsnd
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 206
    Re:Track grouping in X1 isn't easy like in 8.5 2011/02/01 10:38:22 (permalink)
    Thanks again!  A great example of thinking there may be a bug, or poor design, and it's just  a different way of working.
    HumbleNoise
    Re:Track grouping in X1 isn't easy like in 8.5 2011/02/01 10:41:09 (permalink)
    revsnd

A great example of thinking there may be a bug, or poor design, and it's just  a different way of working.

That should be the title of a sticky thread at the top of the forum IMO.

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
    MAudio 2496
    Yamaha MG 12/4
    Roland XV-88
    NVidia 9800 GTX
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:Track grouping in X1 isn't easy like in 8.5 2011/02/01 10:57:17 (permalink)
    HumbleNoise

FBB, I see a 'save' command but no 'save as'. Same there? Pretty slick either way and thanks for the tip.

Very probably, working from memory and I'm at that age when er........what was I typing?  My bad, thanks for the correction.......
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1