Author
StarTekh
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2007
2011/01/31 13:40:31 (permalink)

Intel Bug

Looks like were on hold for new motherboards

http://www.anandtech.com/...-chipset-begins-recall

Now you think X-1a is realy a issue, I beg to differ.

18 Replies Related Threads

keith
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3882
    Re:Intel Bug 2011/01/31 13:57:14 (permalink)
    Ironic. Aren't you one of the ones vocalizing the "latest and greatest" hardware approach?

Just kiddin...
    StarTekh
    Re:Intel Bug 2011/01/31 14:16:56 (permalink)
    keith

Ironic. Aren't you one of the ones vocalizing the "latest and greatest" hardware approach?

Just kiddin...

Keith.. new hardware rarely has a issue this bigg...and..
    tells me why Supermicro put their 1155 on hold..jon
    Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:Intel Bug 2011/01/31 14:25:55 (permalink)
    Yeah, but at least they are owning up and fixing the problem for their customers at no charge.

" The recall will reduce Intel's revenue by around $300 million and cost around $700 million to completely repair and replace affected systems."

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    Re:Intel Bug 2011/01/31 14:41:01 (permalink)
    StarTekh

I guess you didn't read the article.
    StarTekh
    Re:Intel Bug 2011/01/31 16:38:12 (permalink)
    10Ten

StarTekh

I guess you didn't read the article.

well  this ones even better ....

http://newsroom.intel.com...-implementing-solution
    jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    Re:Intel Bug 2011/01/31 19:39:52 (permalink)
    a better article...
    [link=http://www.tomshardware.com/news/cougar-point-sandy-bridge-sata-error,12108.html]http://www.tomshardware.c...-sata-error,12108.html[/link]

up to 5% over 3yrs may see the issue.  got news thats less than the standard fail rate of boards in the same time period..
    especially asus..

if you put your OS on sata 600 and your audio drive problem solved..
    put the samples on sata 300 or buy a add in raid card.. back up ext..
    no issue..

for the record this is the first time i know of that any manufacturer has done a recall on a chipset..

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    Re:Intel Bug 2011/01/31 19:45:18 (permalink)
    It isn't really an issue and it looks like we will get new motherboards out of the deal. If only Cakewalk dealt with issues like that.
    post edited by 10Ten - 2011/01/31 21:14:04
    windsurfer25x
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1120
    Re:Intel Bug 2011/01/31 22:30:34 (permalink)
    Wow, and I was starting to consider getting a sandybridge desktop. My dad just got one actually! It's not even set up yet! Do you think he should return it? I haven't seen anything official on compensation yet

Sonar X1 Expanded PE 64 bit
    Intel i7 2600k oc'd, 16Gb DDR3 RAM, intel 320 SSD OS drive, 7200RPM HDDx2, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit VS 100, Tascam US-2000, UAD2 - Izotope, Fabfilter, NI Komplete 7/Kore2 & +, Spectrasonics+

http://www.maskensmobilestudio.com

Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Intel Bug 2011/01/31 23:06:11 (permalink)
    up to 5% over 3yrs may see the issue. got news thats less than the standard fail rate of boards in the same time period.. especially asus.. if you put your OS on sata 600 and your audio drive problem solved.. put the samples on sata 300 or buy a add in raid card.. back up ext.. no issue..

Those were my thoughts as well...
    Not nearly as big a deal as the panic might suggest...
    I already added a SATA 600 controller to have more ports (used to having ten with 1366 mobos).  
    Gimme back my motherboard!  

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    jcschild
    Re:Intel Bug 2011/02/01 08:36:47 (permalink)
    yeah for the average guy its not a big deal.. for Intel its Huge...
    definately over hyped but its good to see Intel being so willing to deal with it.

Scott
    ADK
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Intel Bug 2011/02/01 20:11:29 (permalink)
    10Ten

It isn't really an issue and it looks like we will get new motherboards out of the deal. If only Cakewalk dealt with issues like that.

another "comment".. if your gonna compare things.. compare like for like.. NOT apples / pears..

is cakewalk as big / multi - national as intel ? (is roland for that matter?) ... software and hardware are 2 different things.. intel set the standards.. the board makers have to follow.. simple as... they are top of the chain.

anyway I RMA'd a 2500k and p67 board (sandy bridge maybe my windows ME) .. the company I bought it off have been beyond useless. it post'd with gfx card error BUT both cards are working in other pc's (never had that before) , they are of course telling me it's working.

for me it's annoying as my last AMD performed like a pile of .... with reason, and my intel single core could beat it...

I've waited almost 3 weeks for a working pc.. no way am I gonna let them sit on my money while intel pull their finger out.

post edited by Fog - 2011/02/01 20:15:14
    Combo
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re:Intel Bug 2011/02/02 05:58:46 (permalink)
    I was on the point of going out this morning to pay upfront for a new build based on the P67 (2600k chip) when the guy rang to say the boards had been recalled.  Apparently it could be 2 months before they're available again. 
    xiwix
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 284
    Re:Intel Bug 2011/02/02 15:45:02 (permalink)
    Yep - always a risk to be an early adopter.

Although it does seem that you could live a happy life with the problem if you know what to avoid.

I'm thinking summer is prime new system building time.  Fixed MBs will be out, RAM will still be cheap (but probably rising in price), lull in demand before the back to school sales pick up.

syntheticpop
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 688
    Re:Intel Bug 2011/02/03 01:14:37 (permalink)
    I'm a bit confused - does this just effect the new Intel processors or its motherboard?  When they mention a bug in the chipset that effects the SATA controllers; this chipset resides within the processor correct?  So it has nothing to do with the motherboard, right? 
    craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re:Intel Bug 2011/02/03 03:30:19 (permalink)
    Here's my guess from what I've read:

The chipset in question goes on the motherboard, so does the CPU (which, itself, is just fine).

Therefore, even though the problem isn't with the CPU, finding a motherboard to use the CPU with is the issue.

New, fixed chipsets will be shipped to motherboard companies who will put them on both new and replacement motherboards and THEN people can start putting systems together again (sometime in March).

The bottom line is a two month delay for building systems with these chipsets, some hassle for those who already bought motherboards with these chips (even though they'll get free replacements) and, at least, $700 million lost by Intel for doing the right thing and recalling the defective chipsets.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    jcschild
    Re:Intel Bug 2011/02/03 08:52:12 (permalink)
    pretty much correct. on monday all boards with the chipset were recalled. not just intel but every manufacturer.
    this also affected sandy bridge laptops.

new product should arrive in early march.

Scott
    ADK
    Re:Intel Bug 2011/02/03 09:17:00 (permalink)
    Fog

10Ten

another "comment".. if your gonna compare things.. compare like for like.. NOT apples / pears..

is cakewalk as big / multi - national as intel ? (is roland for that matter?) ... software and hardware are 2 different things.. intel set the standards.. the board makers have to follow.. simple as... they are top of the chain.

anyway I RMA'd a 2500k and p67 board (sandy bridge maybe my windows ME) .. the company I bought it off have been beyond useless. it post'd with gfx card error BUT both cards are working in other pc's (never had that before) , they are of course telling me it's working.

for me it's annoying as my last AMD performed like a pile of .... with reason, and my intel single core could beat it...

I've waited almost 3 weeks for a working pc.. no way am I gonna let them sit on my money while intel pull their finger out.

Apples and apples is me requiring companies I buy things from to make sure they work correctly and do not have bugs that prevent them from working as advertised. Cake and Intel have a problem. Intel is admitting that problem and fixing it. Cake is trying their best to hide the problem and no really saying what they will and will not fix and when. Even the retailers are on top of the Intel thing. Here what I got from Microcenter about the issue. BTW, your Sandy Bridge should work fine and most people's do. Mine are great and I can easily wait a few weeks for a new motherboard because I know the issue is going to be solved. It will also cost Intel an assload of money whereas Cake has people that do this stuff all day everyday and it is just part of their job.

An Important Announcement regarding Intel(r) Series 6 Chipsets

Intel has recently identified an issue with their 6 series chipsets,
    which are used with all their 2nd generation Core processors
    (code-named Sandy Bridge). This is a potentially serious issue, but it
    should not affect your data, just your system's performance. Intel believes
    that consumers can continue to use their systems with confidence, while
    working with their computer manufacturer for a permanent solution.

However, some users may see degradation in the performance of SATA
    devices attached to the system, whether internal or external (such as hard
    drives and DVD drives). Intel is not aware of any end-user who has seen this
    issue yet, but they expect it to affect a significant percentage of users
    eventually, and to worsen over a three year period.

Please be assured that Micro Center will stand behind every customer who
    purchased a system or a motherboard from us that features this chipset.
    Intel has already made the necessary change in the manufacturing process
    to correct the error, and properly functioning replacements will be available
    in approximately 8 weeks.

To minimize the disruption to you, we suggest that you continue to use your
    system until replacement parts are available. At that time, we will contact
    you with instructions regarding how to get your motherboard replaced or your
    system repaired.

PLEASE NOTE: There is no problem with the Intel 2nd Generation Core Processors themselves.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused by this issue,
    and our assurance that we will keep you informed of any further developments.

Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Intel Bug 2011/02/04 08:29:29 (permalink)
    10Ten you understand the difference between intel and cake though?

1.. hardware a LOT tougher to fix (can you name me any software that hasn't be patched / updated ? ) . heck I've even had a soundcard (sw1000xg) have a heatsink fitted to back in the day.

2.. INTEL set the standards, they are top of the chain.. OTHERS follow and conform to their standards.. and just how many hardware combo's do DAW companies have to deal with ?

3.. having a computer to NOT work on affects me far more than Sonar X1 needing patching.  People are  
         so quick to jump ship software wise.. mid project.. thats another thing I NEVER got.

go and try and get p67 board..lol.. I was told to wait till April maybe.. as in that CPU until then will make a nice bookend on my shelf and be devalued in cost also...

compared to what I've spend "vs" wise.. Intel have had a LOT of money over the years. from 8088 days

anyway back on topic..

I got my money refunded on my cpu / mobo / memory. Intel were very unhelpful in the whole process and if I could use another CPU company then I would. They didn't want to get involved , yet it was down to them that caused the big issues I had.

the RMA board I sent back to the supplier could not be released back to me , and neither would they sell me a new one.. a p67 one..

so they said.. here have the CPU back.. and I'd have to wait till April.. their argument being that they couldn't re-sell it as it had been opened.

my counter to that is that it was not a reasonable time-scale to expect me to wait AND my contract was with them. It was also reasonable for me to fit the CPU and to send it back with the bundle since that's what they actually requested back.

anyway, me mentioning legal action soon changed things.. and they refunded me as a "good will guesture" .. perhaps I should put the calls I made into them and on hold the same also... apparently I'm blacklisted from using that company... like I would ever again anyway..lol

I don't think my position is the norm.. I RMA'd the board BEFORE intel's announcement, but I doubt I'm the only one who has the same issue.  Although intel admitted there is an issue.. they haven't helped everyone deal with things.. so to me them admitting it and not doing anything is an empty gesture.

post edited by Fog - 2011/02/04 08:38:49
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1