loosing latency after inserting to many VSTs

Author
extreme robson
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2011/01/31 14:12:22 (permalink)

loosing latency after inserting to many VSTs

hi this is my first post. My system is ok i have a pro soundcard (echo audio fire 8) and a great system running intel i5 760 and 8 GB Ram memory. I run with minimum lateny settings and everithing runs just fine under Windows 7

The problem starts only after i insert more than 16> vst plugins. The latency start to become weak and the midi response become delayed esspecialy with many KONTAKT instances running online ..But the CPU is not stressed using only 40% resources. So i really don't understand the cause of latency delay .

The delay can be because of Windows beckground activities ??. Or i must use some special Windows settings ??. Or this is because of Hard disk buffer???. I can't find the weakness . I really wish to use my CPU at full capacity with minimum latencyes and no MIDI delay problems

2 Replies Related Threads

simpleman
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 262
    Re:loosing latency after inserting to many VSTs 2011/01/31 15:30:10 (permalink)
    Kontakt is a Sampler: Where are your sample libraries located?

You may need to freeze tracks to get over the hump, but the quest of DAW tuning has many areas as you are alluding too.

You may also be able adjust Kontakt to use less CPU when composing and turn it up to solo and mix down. (At least it should have this feature).

And the list goes on............
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:loosing latency after inserting to many VSTs 2011/01/31 15:44:37 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forum!

You don't need to have so many Kontakt instances open. You can get 16 (IIRC) instruments from one instance of Kontakt.

You don't necessarily have to keep the latency setting at the minimum, try 6-10 milliseconds.

Like Simpleman said, it's not only the CPU when you use Kontakt. If samples are streamed from the HDD it requires a separate, fast HDD for the samples. Disc streaming, writing and reading simultaneously can be too much if you only have one HDD.

And note that often SONAR starts to fumble when the CPU usage goes to 60-70 %, because what you see in SONARs display isn't the same figure of CPU usage that the task manager shows.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1