How Far To Push The Treble?

Author
Adji
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 443
2011/02/01 10:45:48 (permalink)

How Far To Push The Treble?

Hey guys, I'm wondering how far you would generally push the treble up on the master bus or when mastering? I ask because nearly all of my mixes sound very flat and dull and I find myself pushing the hi end up about 10 Db (say from 6K up to 20+) to get some of that high end sparkle and life back into the mix. Is this normal nowadays, or is something going wrong during the actual recording?

12 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:How Far To Push The Treble? 2011/02/01 10:52:27 (permalink)
    I may boost some treble on a vocal a bit and I may look for a little string noise on a electric bass guitar with a treble boost.

I would have to say that I never use any additive EQ on my master bus... not that I have any *rule* about it... it just doesn't happen the way I do things.

I'd say a 10dB boost of anything, anywhere, indicates that you are missing some opportunities to get what you want at some earlier stage in the process.

For example; I start my EQ approach with the choice of microphone and preamp I select and go from there.

You've asked a good question... so you are 51% towards a good solution.

Good Luck!

best regards,
    mike

Adji
    Re:How Far To Push The Treble? 2011/02/01 10:57:01 (permalink)
    Cheers Mike.
    Well I'm working in my bedroom so my choice of equipment is very limited. Thanks for the tips though man, I will look to maximise the treble at earlier points in the chain.
    skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    Re:How Far To Push The Treble? 2011/02/01 11:39:58 (permalink)
    So much of what you have to EQ is based on your mic choices.

If it takes +12 to get the cymbals to sparkle the way you want...so be it.  But I agree with Mike that these problems are usually best dealt with at a track level instead of an EQ on the master bus.

It's all about mic choices while you're tracking....in my opinion.  The right mic for the right sound source will put an end to the endless EQ battle.  Once you find yourself subtracting more than you are adding, you'll start to feel like you're getting somewhere!

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:How Far To Push The Treble? 2011/02/01 11:45:01 (permalink)
    ideally, you want your mix to have all the proper eq it needs.

this is not what mastering is for.

ideally, you'll have such wonderful sounds to record, and such wonderful microphones and preamps that capture your sounds EXACTLY like they are, that you will never have to use EQ even when you're mixing.

that's the ideal.

the reality is, you want to get your sound, going into your mic, as close as it can be, without any EQ.

then, on mixdown, you want to eq JUST what needs it.

and mostly subtractive EQ, almost never additive EQ.

that's key.

then, on mastering, the IDEAL is that you wont need any eq, or if you do, it's just to smooth out the low end or high end...
    a lot of folks don't want to hear crispy high end, they want a more polished sound, that's easier on the ears overall..

THAT's what mastering is for, as far as EQ goes.

every time you push any treble EQ, you are adding noise and harshness.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:How Far To Push The Treble? 2011/02/01 13:36:45 (permalink)
    One place to look at in tracking and mixing is the bass and specifically rolling out some of it.  For most acoustic stuff there isn't much useful information below 100 Hz or even higher - just noise, rumble etc that can eat up headroom.  Although counterintuitive, getting rid of that stuff means you can mix the remaining high end louder during mixing stage.  That might be where some of the missing air comes in.  Worth a try, anyway and general good practise.

But pumping the high end up by 10 db during mastering means there is a problem earlier in the chain, as stated above.  Try the mixing stuff but new recordings could probably be helped w/ the above suggestions, esp. mic choice.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:How Far To Push The Treble? 2011/02/01 20:13:06 (permalink)
    I generally low pass the mix at 12K on the master buss to get it closer to a tape sound. Boosting EQ on the instruments is generally limited to a high shelf at 8k maybe 4-6 db on a dull instrument.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    Kylotan
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 995
    Re:How Far To Push The Treble? 2011/02/02 12:31:52 (permalink)
    I do sometimes try and use a high quality EQ on the master bus to push the top end up by about 3dB, but I wouldn't dare use more additive EQ than that. As others have said, usually the best thing to do is instead to reduce the rest of the mix which then gives you more headroom to push everything up, which will achieve a similar result with fewer artifacts.

The EQing I tend to do is a lot of high pass filtering on instruments to remove inaudible frequencies on bass or unwanted frequencies on vocals/guitars/drums/cymbals/synths, and then a bit of multi-band compression to ensure the mids don't push out above the rest of the frequency range. That usually gives you enough headroom for the mix to sparkle.

Another approach is to use an exciter, which I've used from time to time, and generally that's not been too bad. Or you can add a bit of saturation to your instruments which will tend to increase their high-frequency output ever so slightly.
    Adji
    Re:How Far To Push The Treble? 2011/02/02 12:49:48 (permalink)
    Thanks very much for the tips guys, I'll take them all into consideration for the next recording :)
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:How Far To Push The Treble? 2011/02/02 14:20:34 (permalink)
    The first thing that popped in my mind is: How's your monitoring? + 10 dB sounds like a very big boost.

If you import a commercial track into SONAR, one that you know has a sound you like, does it soound fine through your monitor speakers? And does your own recording sound dull compared to it.

The need to boost treble can also be a sign of listening fatigue.

Have you checked your mixes in various environments and systems?

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:How Far To Push The Treble? 2011/02/02 14:25:07 (permalink)
    Now that you have good advice....I will suggest push it until the dogs in the neighborhood are howling.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    feedback50
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    Re:How Far To Push The Treble? 2011/02/02 14:43:02 (permalink)
    I hardly ever boosted much EQ on the master bus until I picked up the UAD massive passive. Now I'm not so sure. It seems like it does more than just tweak the EQ curve. I can be very nice though.
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:How Far To Push The Treble? 2011/02/02 15:08:00 (permalink)
    On my recent mixes, I find I'm applying a little bit of LPF or a gentle Hi-shelf cut to quite a few tracks, just to tame the top end down a bit.
    post edited by Bristol_Jonesey - 2011/02/02 15:09:19

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1