sonar 8 reinstall - what about old files

Author
rbecker
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 740
2011/02/01 15:17:06 (permalink)

sonar 8 reinstall - what about old files

Hello All-

I had computer problems that caused me to need Windows XP reinstalled. Now, even though the SONAR app is gone, some SONAR-related files still exist on my system:

A bunch of templates, groove clips and other things are located at:

C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\Cakewalk\SONAR 8 Studio Edition\Sample Content\

Also, the computer repair folks moved my application data from my C drive over to my second (J) hard drive:

J:\Data\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Cakewalk\SONAR 8 Studio Edition\

A lot of drum maps, track templates and other things are on that path.

I would like to use these if I could.

Two questions:

1. Will the existance of these folders/files affect my reinstall? Will they cause it to bomb, or will they be overwritten?

2. Do I have the option of using these files rather than going all new?

Any suggestions or observations appreciated!

RJB -Vernon Corv 

"There are 10 types of people in the world...Those who understand binary and those who don't."

My Songs
---
Sonar Platinum
HD: ST2000DM 001-1ER164 7200RPM
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @3.40 Ghz
RAM:12.0 GB Memory:2 drives 1 Terabyte each
Windows 10
Video: NVIDA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Audio: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4

4 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:sonar 8 reinstall - what about old files 2011/02/02 23:06:31 (permalink)
    1. if you reinstall then drum maps and things will be overwritten if you choose to install those options in your installation.  you can choose not to install them, tho, if you choose a custom installation and uncheck those items.

if you have extra items in those folders, however, they will not get deleted from the install.  for example if you have EZDrummer drum maps in the drum map folder and you choose to install drum maps in your reinstall, then it will overwrite the ones that it has in the installation, but it will not delete those which are not in the installation like EZD.

2. do you mean the files that were moved by the computer people who didn't know they were being stupid?  why not just move them back if you want to use them?

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    rbecker
    Re:sonar 8 reinstall - what about old files 2011/02/03 11:11:04 (permalink)
    Beagle

1. if you reinstall then drum maps and things will be overwritten if you choose to install those options in your installation.  you can choose not to install them, tho, if you choose a custom installation and uncheck those items.

if you have extra items in those folders, however, they will not get deleted from the install.  for example if you have EZDrummer drum maps in the drum map folder and you choose to install drum maps in your reinstall, then it will overwrite the ones that it has in the installation, but it will not delete those which are not in the installation like EZD.

2. do you mean the files that were moved by the computer people who didn't know they were being stupid?  why not just move them back if you want to use them?
    Beagle - Thanks for the reply.

I will probably make copies of everything that might be in harm's way and then play with the reinstall. I couldn't remember how "customized" I would be able to make the reinstall, but by your reply it seems that I will have some wiggle room along the way.

As you suggest, I was planning on moving back the files the repair folk moved to my second HD. I will just try it and see what happens.

RJB -Vernon Corv 

"There are 10 types of people in the world...Those who understand binary and those who don't."

My Songs
    ---
    Sonar Platinum
    Windows 10
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:sonar 8 reinstall - what about old files 2011/02/03 11:34:22 (permalink)
    I think what they should not have done is move any cakewalk folders back to C drive. That might cause a problem. Best to remove all sonar related files from the C drive and store them in a back up drive before a install. Then do a fresh install and deal with the back up files as you go.
    There should be easy ways to import your personal setting.

Classic dumb idea from me- you might be able to fool sonar later by simply swapping the new sub folders containing drum maps etc with your old ones. As long as you put it in the same place with exactly the same file name.  Before you delete anything back it up.

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

rbecker
    Re:sonar 8 reinstall - what about old files 2011/02/03 11:48:17 (permalink)
    johnnyV

I think what they should not have done is move any cakewalk folders back to C drive. That might cause a problem. Best to remove all sonar related files from the C drive and store them in a back up drive before a install. Then do a fresh install and deal with the back up files as you go.
    There should be easy ways to import your personal setting.

Classic dumb idea from me- you might be able to fool sonar later by simply swapping the new sub folders containing drum maps etc with your old ones. As long as you put it in the same place with exactly the same file name.  Before you delete anything back it up.

I'm pretty fanatical about backing files up.....and backing up the backups!. I might try this a couple different ways and see what happens. I like your idea of starting from scratch and trying to add my customs back in. I always can uninstall and try again!

RJB -Vernon Corv 

My Songs
    ---
    Sonar Platinum
    Windows 10
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1