Releasing your own album

Author
Jimbo 88
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1828
2011/02/01 18:30:36 (permalink)

Releasing your own album

Anybody have success releasing your own album.  CDBaby,  TuneCore,  Reverb Nation..

which one is the best?

Thanks 

6 Replies Related Threads

Adji
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 443
    Re:Releasing your own album 2011/02/02 08:00:12 (permalink)
    Releasing your own album is a LOT more work that it seems mate. I planned on doing this in 2009/2010 and spent a year on it, got most of the tunes down and stuff but came to a halt because of the workload, what I have found easier in the end is now I am going to release a series of singles and put any money made towards making a 'proper' album in a few years.

That said, the only one of those companies I looked into is CDBaby and they seems great, after speaking to a few folks who use it they all recommend it.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Releasing your own album 2011/02/02 08:11:46 (permalink)
    The easy part is recording it and all the work that goes into mastering and pressing. And we all know that's not really easy..... but it is the easiest part of the whole deal.

The hard part is called MARKETING.  If you don't market successfully, you will sell about 6 copies and the others will collect dust in the closet. Maybe 12 if you have a big family.

record companies spend hundreds of thousands to market known artists.... unless you find a way to create some buzz on the internet, and or have a very unique and well received video/music..... you are looking at a long hard road ahead.

One such artist has been discussed here recently: Pompalmoose. You've seen them on TV in car commercials around christmas.... their unique talent was sufficient to catch the eye of the right people..... now they are able to make a living selling music online.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jimbo 88
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1828
    Re:Releasing your own album 2011/02/02 14:49:51 (permalink)
    Hey guys,  thanks for chimin in.

Yeah,  i understand that marketing is a big part.  I've gotta couple of ideas up my sleve for that.   I was just wondering If one of the websites where better than the other? 

Thanks
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Releasing your own album 2011/02/02 14:55:28 (permalink)
    If you have a working band or a working solo act, you can actually make a decent living selling CD's and merchandise at the show.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Releasing your own album 2011/02/02 18:50:34 (permalink)
    There's an Asian place down the road from me? You get album "with release" for 20 bux. 

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:Releasing your own album 2011/02/03 08:18:21 (permalink)
    We use CD baby and we are happy with the service they've given us. Just keep in mind that what they are offering is only a platform(s) for you to distribute (sell) your CD's/downloads. Each and every song/disk we've moved through them was a connection we established. In other words, look for them to distribute NOT market. If you look at CD baby in that light then you'll be happy w/the service. I also liked the option of having our tunes/CD's go out on iTunes, Trade Bit, CD Universe, Amazon, etc. all via CDbaby. But again this is just a mechanism  to move disks and not at all a marketing plus.

Good luck!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1