Always On My Mind - Cover

Author
Bub
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7196
2011/02/01 23:56:41 (permalink)

Always On My Mind - Cover

Hi,

A friend of mine and I did this long distance. He did the vocals in NJ, and I did all the music here in IA by transferring it back and forth over the net. We were in a band together for almost 10 years and have been recording together off and on since 83 ~ 84. It's been a while since we've done anything and it's good to get back together.

Notes:
Sonar 8.5 x64
Dim Pro (Keyboards and Strings)
True Piano's
Squier Precision Bass
Les Paul Custom
Fender San Miguel Acoustic
Dave on vocals and harmony

I had a horrible time trying to do the drum track on this so I finally gave up and loaded an MP3 of the original and played along with it. Hope you all enjoy. Criticism good or bad is welcome.

Bub

Always On My Mind

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."

19 Replies Related Threads

RockingChair
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 803
    Re:Always On My Mind - Cover 2011/02/02 00:12:53 (permalink)

The music is Spot on, but the vox just isn't what I like to hear in this tune. Either way. Two thumbs up!

Bobby

post edited by RockingChair - 2011/02/02 00:14:04

rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Always On My Mind - Cover 2011/02/02 00:38:00 (permalink)
    I really like Willy's version of this song (classic...) I liked this? But it's such a tall yard stick to stand up to? I would like to have heard it sung with more feeling/emotion. The vocal delivery seems a little tentative? The vox seem to have either a bit too much echo or verb (IMO)  more noticeable on the chorus w/the BGV (again IMO) The drums need to be punched up a bit? They are there? But they're not "there"
    post edited by rockinrobby - 2011/02/02 00:39:01

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Always On My Mind - Cover 2011/02/02 07:13:05 (permalink)
    I really like this!  The vox are far better than Willie's. They just have too much verb on them.

String Jammer
    ohgrant
    Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3966
    Re:Always On My Mind - Cover 2011/02/02 07:28:06 (permalink)
     I liked both instruments and vocals.  Really enjoyable cover.

Me

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Always On My Mind - Cover 2011/02/02 08:24:24 (permalink)
    Great classic country song. It's so cool to be able to play with people across the internet.

Not to bad of a job on the mix. Good points already pointed out. The thing I noticed was the singer.... needs more emotion, and less reverb/FX.  To much reverb takes away the intimate feeling from a vocal. Not enough and it's to dry and in your face... so finding the right amount is critical.

The way I try (notice the use of the word TRY) to do it is I solo the vox and run it dry.... then I increase the verb level until I hear it..... then I either leave it there or more commonly back it off a few clicks. When it gets added into the mix, that tiny bit of reverb is often more then enough.....

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    whack
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1188
    Re:Always On My Mind - Cover 2011/02/02 08:49:17 (permalink)
    Enjoyed this a lot,especially when the song title line comes in,beautiful. There is a few mixing tweaks that need  tuning,but Ill leave that up to the more experienced on here.

Cian

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    Bub
    Re:Always On My Mind - Cover 2011/02/02 12:27:11 (permalink)
    I don't want to say we 'argued', let's say, 'discussed in great length', the reverb. I agree it's heavy, but he liked it so I left it. :)

Thanks for all the input. So far I think this is my best mastering job, but I agree, it still could use some TLC. One thing is the bass. It sounds perfect on my HS-80m's, and on my home stereo, but can barely be heard in my truck which usually accentuates the low end. That one has me scratchin' my head. :)

Thanks for the feedback. :)

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:Always On My Mind - Cover 2011/02/02 13:21:34 (permalink)
    Hey, Bub... real nice work there by both you guys.  I liked the whole package just the way it was.  Yeah, the verb was a bit heavy, but I'm not sure it's a big deal.  My only minor crit (made with the caveat that I heard this on pc speakers) is that there seemed to be a bunch of instruments occupying the same freqs, and maybe they could use a little more definition. 
    bayoubill
    • Total Posts : 10899
    Re:Always On My Mind - Cover 2011/02/02 13:32:21 (permalink)
    I like this alot! Great job guys. Can't say or offer anything to improve it.

SWAMP MUSIC
    Sonar PLATINUM        
    Studio Cat DAW

rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Always On My Mind - Cover 2011/02/02 18:16:23 (permalink)
    Bub

I don't want to say we 'argued', let's say, 'discussed in great length', the reverb. I agree it's heavy, but he liked it so I left it. :)

We know it was a knock down drag out.

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Always On My Mind - Cover 2011/02/02 19:52:39 (permalink)
    I love this song and you did a great job on it.  :-)
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Always On My Mind - Cover 2011/02/03 21:22:10 (permalink)
    Hey, bub!  I've been thinking about doing a cover of this myself and here you've beat me to it!

I like the acoustic and electric and vox on this, but I'm not fond of the piano sound at all.  a better soundfont for the piano would be much better.  and the piano is almost a little stiff - did you quantize it?

the bass is almost non-existent in the mix in places - it needs to cut thru the mix more.  in fact the low end is a little lacking all around.

drums are pretty good, but I can't lock in on the kick.  it's buried probably by the bass- you should carve out some areas in the mix for the bass and EQ so they can punch through.

one more thing about the mix - the acoustic's pick sound is pretty prominent in the mix as well.  I wouldn't ever remove the sound completely because it adds character to the recording, but you might want to EQ that down a little because I think it's a little too hot in the mix.

really good work on this, tho.  excellent rendition!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    RockingChair
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 803
    Re:Always On My Mind - Cover 2011/02/03 22:19:31 (permalink)
    Beagle

Hey, bub!  I've been thinking about doing a cover of this myself and here you've beat me to it!

Honestly Reece, I hear this tune a bit of a different way than it was performed on vocals. Believe it or not I might be able to sing this tune. Maybe I will be able to try. We shall see.  I don't hear this as Willie singing it, I hear it as Elvis Singing it. I know I'm going to catch crap over the versions, but the thing is : THIS IS BUB'S VERSION, so we shall see.

Just my opinion. Stop Dogging me dude! <-------- I know your not but I've always wanted to say that.

Bobby

Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:Always On My Mind - Cover 2011/02/03 22:42:04 (permalink)
    Very nice. I think the vocals are just about perfect - maybe a little less verb. Could use a bit more bass? I like your rendition, though. The guitar solo is really sweet.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Always On My Mind - Cover 2011/02/04 05:47:52 (permalink)
    hey Bub
    musically pretty good, if a little 'stiff'! not a huge fan of the acoustic, there's too much plectrum sound on it, i'd mix that a little further back - and given the amount of verb on the rest of the tune, this is one instrument that could take a bit more!
     the drums get a little muffled as the tune goes along, i'd take some of the verb off them, and try to eq them into the mix a bit more.
     the electric guitars are very good. bass is fine at the start, again it disappears a little as the full instrumentation comes in.
    i like the vocals, but at the beginning, the start and cut-off of each clip is really noticeable - either the gate is too fast or the clips are physically cut. a shorter verb would help that.

so this is very good, just needs a little more work on the mix side.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:Always On My Mind - Cover 2011/02/04 14:38:00 (permalink)
    getting an error??

bummer.....
    Bub
    Re:Always On My Mind - Cover 2011/02/04 21:24:32 (permalink)
    Beagle

I like the acoustic and electric and vox on this, but I'm not fond of the piano sound at all.  a better soundfont for the piano would be much better.

I'm limited to True Piano, and Dim Pro. This was True Piano, I think I'll try some of the Dim Pro ones.

and the piano is almost a little stiff - did you quantize it?

Nope, I couldn't on this one because I actually played along with the original and the timing was way off. It sounded really stiff when I originally tried to do my own drum track. :) This must mean my timing is superb. :)

the bass is almost non-existent in the mix in places - it needs to cut thru the mix more.  in fact the low end is a little lacking all around.

I had a heck of a time with the bass on this one and I don't know why. I'm redoing it now. I loaded the project in to X1 and I'm giving it the royal treatment with the Pro Chanel.

drums are pretty good, but I can't lock in on the kick.  it's buried probably by the bass- you should carve out some areas in the mix for the bass and EQ so they can punch through.

The drums are identical to the original because everything I did on my own just didn't sound right. All of that changed when I re-recorded the bass so I'll concentrate more on that at remix time. I agree with you though, on the (my) original I can definitely hear how it's lacking now when I zone in on it and listen more carefully.

one more thing about the mix - the acoustic's pick sound is pretty prominent in the mix as well.  I wouldn't ever remove the sound completely because it adds character to the recording, but you might want to EQ that down a little because I think it's a little too hot in the mix.

That's another thing I struggled with, but this song is so hard to play in time with the drums that I can't bring myself to redo the acoustic. It sounded dead when I EQ'd the pick-clicking out so this was the compromise. Now that I've got it in X1 with the Pro Chanel I may be able to work on that with a bit more success.

really good work on this, tho.  excellent rendition!

Thanks! A lot of work went in to this. I'm thankful for all the feedback and I'll definately work on this some more. I'm pumped now that I got it transferred in to X1.

Bub
    Re:Always On My Mind - Cover 2011/02/04 21:35:45 (permalink)
    mgh

hey Bub
    musically pretty good, if a little 'stiff'! not a huge fan of the acoustic, there's too much plectrum sound on it, i'd mix that a little further back - and given the amount of verb on the rest of the tune, this is one instrument that could take a bit more!

I agree 100%.

the drums get a little muffled as the tune goes along, i'd take some of the verb off them, and try to eq them into the mix a bit more.
    the electric guitars are very good. bass is fine at the start, again it disappears a little as the full instrumentation comes in.

I re-recorded the bass line a couple of nights ago. I used more highs on the tone controls. This song is a real challenge for me on bass, it's the most difficult I've attempted and I'm not a bass player. Just got it a year ago. Since the song isn't quantized at all I can't just do one verse then copy/paste. :/

i like the vocals, but at the beginning, the start and cut-off of each clip is really noticeable - either the gate is too fast or the clips are physically cut. a shorter verb would help that.

Darn, you noticed! :) The reason I had to do that is, this was vocal test. Basically Dave (the singer) sang to the original just to see if it was in the right key and to decide if we wanted to do our own version. His vocals were so good that when he sent it to me, I kept them, but the music from the original bled through his headphones and it was very noticeable. I had to do some very tight clip editing.

so this is very good, just needs a little more work on the mix side.
    Thanks! I got it loaded in to X1. Can't wait to try the Pro Chanel on some things and see how the new bass line works out. :)

Bub
    Re:Always On My Mind - Cover 2011/02/04 21:37:20 (permalink)
    thepogue

getting an error??

bummer.....
    I just checked and the link is working ok for me.

Box.net get's a little funny sometimes, especially when uploading. Try again. :)

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1