Worth getting this still or move on?

Author
tones120
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20
2011/02/02 04:49:52 (permalink)

Worth getting this still or move on?

I have an option to get Sonar 8.5 Producer...just wandering whether it's worth now that XI has arrived? Which interface is better for a semi-novice like me?

I currrently use Home Studio 7 so it will abit of a jump. Any help would be great.

5 Replies Related Threads

Rothchild
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1479
    Re:Worth getting this still or move on? 2011/02/02 06:01:33 (permalink)
    If it's a legit purchase of 8.5 is should come with the option to take x1 for free so I'd say get bothand make your own mind up.

It would appear that Cake have put a lot of effort in to making X1 more 'friendly' for the semi-novice users so it may be worth a go. Unfortunately for me I'm so fixed in my habits that without even having used it I can see that I prefer 8.5 (X1 does not expose enough of the info I need and use in plain track view for me).

What do you use the software for and what are your preferred working practices? For instance I use Sonar as a multitrack tape recorder, editor and mixer. My prefered working practice is to do everything in the TV and I use a control surface to tweak my mixes. I occasionally dable in midi sequencing for my own entertainment.

Until X1 gets tweaked out a bit more I will contest that 8.5.3 is currently the best DAW available (for me, IMO, YMMV etcetc).

Child
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Worth getting this still or move on? 2011/02/02 06:04:39 (permalink)
    To give a balanced view, I reckon there are as many people running X1 without issues are there are with problems.

Some of these problems are known bugs wihch are in the process of being fixed, others are, shall we say - more exotic and vary enormously from user to user.

You might be one of the lucky ones, depending on your setup and the capabilities of your computer.

List your specs, that way we'll be in a better position to judge whether your system is capable of running X1. This doesn't mean it will run without issues.

Whatever you do, back up EVERYTHING first. Make a disk image of your system drive, set a Windows restore point, defrag, clean up etc etc.

From my own viewpoint, I simply can't get 8.5.3 to crash, no matter what I throw at it.

X1 on the other hand, for ME, was a complete pig which resulted in corruption of my 8.5 setup.

The choice is yours.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Luteman
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 335
    Re:Worth getting this still or move on? 2011/02/02 06:06:20 (permalink)
    If you buy 8.5 new you can download a free upgrade to X1 - so you can try both and see which you prefer. You have to register your copy of 8.5 before the end of February to qualify.

For what it's worth, I have stuck with 8.5 for now as I don't see anything in X1 to justify upgrading FOR ME. I have invested a lot of time learning 8.5 so I'm not up for change at the moment. I stress this is just how I see it.

If you're new to SONAR it may be worth going straight for X1 as you will be learning the new interface which is undoubtedly the way forward. Then you won't be having to 'unlearn' the 8.5 way of doing things (which I suspect all 8.5 users will need to do if we want to keep up-to-date in the future).

Hope this helps.

OK, Bristol_Jonesy and Rothschild beat me to it. Did I mention I type slowly :-)  ?
    post edited by Luteman - 2011/02/02 06:08:18

Chris
    SONAR Platinum, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Core2Quad Q6600, 8GB, 2 x SSD, M-Audio Fast Track Ultra, M-Audio Axiom 61, Behringer FCB1010 MIDI pedalboard, Stephen Haddock 8-course lute, some guitars, a mandolin and a bass

tones120
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re:Worth getting this still or move on? 2011/02/02 06:16:17 (permalink)
    It will be a new boxed version.

I'm running a HP desktop, Windows Home 7, AMD, 2.80 GHZ 64-bit OS with a Lexicon Alpha interface.

I would use it for abit of everything really. I work with Guitar stuff but also make total snyth/beat-style tracks too.

I might still go for XI but just interested to see if others still use this version. I assume XI has everything that 8.5 has?

Sorry for the novice-like questions but you know how it is...
    Luteman
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 335
    Re:Worth getting this still or move on? 2011/02/02 06:29:10 (permalink)
    If you're buying new you have nothing to lose by getting 8.5 and downloading the free X1 upgrade. Unless you want a shiny box which says X1 on the side.
    The X1 upgrade will install a full version - you don't need to install 8.5 first then upgrade it.
    AFAIK X1 has everything the equivalent version of 8.5 has. The Producer Edition also has Pro Channel, which is new with X1.

Some forum members have reported issues running both side-by-side - and others do that quite happily. As Jonesy says, different people have different experiences.

Chris
    SONAR Platinum, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Core2Quad Q6600, 8GB, 2 x SSD, M-Audio Fast Track Ultra, M-Audio Axiom 61, Behringer FCB1010 MIDI pedalboard, Stephen Haddock 8-course lute, some guitars, a mandolin and a bass

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1