Planning on buying X1

Author
Rudo
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 17
2011/02/02 18:23:05 (permalink)

Planning on buying X1

Hello,

I 'm planning on buying Sonar X1 and last week on the internet I saw a store where I could download X1 for the amount of $ 399, that is way cheaper than the € 385 I have to pay for it in stores around in Holland.

Is it safe to buy a downloaded version?
If so, can anybody recommand a store where I can buy a downloaded version of X1.

Just to be sure that my laptop is capable for using Sonar X1: I Have a pentium Core i5-460M 2,53 ghz, 4GB Ram with windows 7. I'm planning on buying a USB soundcard. Will Sonar X1 run smoothly on my laptop?

Thanks in advance!
Rudo

8 Replies Related Threads

Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:Planning on buying X1 2011/02/02 18:32:54 (permalink)
    Rudo

Hello,

I 'm planning on buying Sonar X1 and last week on the internet I saw a store where I could download X1 for the amount of $ 399, that is way cheaper than the € 385 I have to pay for it in stores around in Holland.

If so, can anybody recommand a store where I can buy a downloaded version of X1.

Just to be sure that my laptop is capable for using Sonar X1: I Have a pentium Core i5-460M 2,53 ghz, 4GB Ram with windows 7. I'm planning on buying a USB soundcard. Will Sonar X1 run smoothly on my laptop?

Thanks in advance!
    Rudo

It's impossible to say if X1 will run smoothly on your laptop. What brand is it? Run the 32 bit version with 4Gb. Since you're in Holland, order the discs from Cakewalk.

Craig DuBuc
    lorneyb2
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1667
    Re:Planning on buying X1 2011/02/02 18:34:47 (permalink)
    Rudo

Hello,

Thanks in advance!
    Rudo
    For 1st question I would want to be sure it is either Cakewalk or Roland store to buy the download to ensure you are not getting a cracked version on a scam.(know your source)

One of the biggest problems with a laptop can be the speed of the hard drive.  If it is 7200 RPM you should be fine.  If it is only 5400 RPM it could cause a major bottleneck and severely restrict the number of tracks you could use.  I am assuming that is a dual core processor so should be fine otherwise with a USB Audio Interface.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Win 8.1 Pro 64bit,  Quad Core 3.2GHz,  16G ram, Edirol FA 101, Nvidia
    EW (Platinum Orchestra, Hollywood Strings, Pianos, Gypsy, Fab 4, Ministry of Rock,Choirs, etc)

Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk]
    • Total Posts : 2084
    Re:Planning on buying X1 2011/02/02 18:38:55 (permalink)
    The only way to purchase a legal download is through us and it would have to be an upgrade. Full versions are always sold at retail as boxes, even if its an online retailer.

There are a many online retailers here in the US that sell SONAR, but I'm not sure if they ship overseas.

If you want, PM the link to the store you saw the X1 download on and I'll confirm if it's legit or not. Please don't post it here in case its a crack site as we don't want said sites advertised.

Thanks
    StarTekh
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2007
    Re:Planning on buying X1 2011/02/02 19:29:44 (permalink)

Rudo dont download software.. goto..

www.kellysmusic.ca

they ship internationaly...

as for your laptop they dont make good hard disk recoders
    in general you need fast drives, you could use a SSD inthe
    laptop and external usb hard disk..for data storage... I
    prefer to tell you streight up..btw X-1a rocks...
    Rudo
    Re:Planning on buying X1 2011/02/03 05:21:43 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies so far:

@ Craig: Ik know I can buy the discs in Holland and I will keep it in concideration, but because the price in Holland is € 385,-- en in he U.S. it is $ 399,-- I can safe about € 100,-- So that is why I asked. The laptop I'm having is an Asus K72J and is running with Windows 7 on 64 bit.

@ Lorney: The HD runs at 5400 rpm. What would be the limit for the number of tracks? For now I'm planning only to use plug-ins that comes with the X1.

@ Seth: I don't remember the name of the store anymore, but when it comes back to me I will give you a PM.

@ What is a SSD? I do have two external USB HD and have enough storage for my songs etc.

Rudo

chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:Planning on buying X1 2011/02/03 07:07:50 (permalink)
    should b fine...im running it on windows 7..i got the i3 intell with 4gig..500memory..and i also downloaded mine from the cakewalk store...you got everything i got,well..you got a better proccessor
    Rudo
    Re:Planning on buying X1 2011/02/03 07:33:29 (permalink)
    chuckebaby

should b fine...im running it on windows 7..i got the i3 intell with 4gig..500memory..and i also downloaded mine from the cakewalk store...you got everything i got,well..you got a better proccessor

Ok, thanks for your answer, and is your HD 5400 rpm or 7200 rpm? And can anybody tell me in plain english (or Dutch for that matter) what exaclty is going to be the limit with a 5400 rpm HD and what is the limit with a 7200 rpm.

I figured out what a SSD is and switching it for the HD that is already in my laptop and make that HD an external HD is also an option.... but do I really need to? And is replacing the HD for an HD that runs with 7200 rpm not an better option?

Rudo
    lorneyb2
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1667
    Re:Planning on buying X1 2011/02/03 14:51:44 (permalink)
    If you can avoid using the 5400 for your Audio output or any streaming sample libraries it would be fine as an external.(in other words for storage and backup)

I am not familiar enough with the SSD's to advise you there. 

I could get up to 20-25 tracks and have reasonable latency as long as I was freezing the synths as I went.   By  combining tracks (export to track) like violins,viola,cello etc into 1 track and archiving the originals I could get up to what would have been the equivalent of a 60 track file, but it is a pain if you have to go back and change anything.

The reason the main hard drive speed is so important is that buffering is done via the main HD.  If you have  to read info(eg VST samples)from the drive  as well as write info (eg. Audio output of synth)to that drive while read/write memory buffers to it as well you can see that it quickly becomes a bottleneck. (On my desktop I use a 10,000rpm main drive which improved performance dramatically)

By using an external 7200rpm USB/Firewire drive for Audio output and your sample libraries that would take some of the load off the main drive but still not ideal if you use the 5400rpm.  Your processor is definitely better than what I had in my laptop so it should have better performance than mine did, but the 5400 would still present limitations.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Win 8.1 Pro 64bit,  Quad Core 3.2GHz,  16G ram, Edirol FA 101, Nvidia
    EW (Platinum Orchestra, Hollywood Strings, Pianos, Gypsy, Fab 4, Ministry of Rock,Choirs, etc)

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1