Helpful ReplySystem crash...then no MIDI in

Author
cwestmont
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 379
2011/02/02 23:03:45 (permalink)

System crash...then no MIDI in

Okay, this re-opens a problem I had years ago -- i found a workaround (which I'll get to) but the problem resurfaced this week.  I've searched the forums and found a few similar *unresolved* instances. 

My setup was working yesterday but I suffered a bad system crash/reboot.  Now I get no activity on MIDI in.

My setup is a Korg SG-1 MIDI keyboard plugged into a EMU 0404 USB connected to a Windows XP PC with Sonar HS 6.

Audio is playing fine over the EMU. I get no lights flickering on the MIDI Input/Output Activity meter in the system tray.  I do see the MIDI light respond on the EMU when I play the keyboard, so that connection is okay.  The MIDI is not getting from the EMU to the PC.

Under Options--MIDI Devices, the EMU 0404 USB is selected for both the Inputs and Outputs and is on the top of both list. EMU suggests this:

Should you lose communication between your E-MU 0404 USB 2.0 and an audio
application (Ableton Live, Cubase, Sonar, etc.), the E-MU 0404 USB 2.0 drivers
may need to be re-selected in your application.
1. Go to your application's I/O settings, de-select the E-MU 0404 USB 2.0 for
both input and output.
2. Apply these changes and exit the dialog.
3. Re-enter the application's preference settings and re-select the E-MU 0404 USB
2.drivers. If this doesn’t work, the application may need to be restarted.

Which I have done (multiple times, as well as restarting the computer). I have tried changing from ASIO mode to WDM and back again, all to no avail. I know the Korg to EMU connection is fine because one of the lights on the EMU reacts as I play on the Korg. I know the EMU to PC connection is okay because the EMU can play sound.

When this happened to me a few years ago, i gave up after trying a dozen things and plugged a MIDIman interface to feed MIDI into the PC by brute USB force.  That has worked for years, but last month I was cleaning up the work area and decided to plug the Korg directly into the EMU.  Worked fine for weeks...then the system crashed, now dead.

Any ideas?  I am sure I can go back to using the MIDIman but it seems a kludge.  There has to be a solution using the gear as it is meant to be used!

My music:
Hummingbird Cinema (vocal tracks, covers and remixes)
Mosaic Manifesto  (remixes and instrumentals)
"If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying?"- Shantideva

One can acquire everything in solitude - except character. -- Marie Henri Beyle

Windows 7
Intel Core i7-4770 3.4 GHz
8 GigaBytes DRAM
Sonar X3
Roland QuadCapture
daveny5
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16934
Re:System crash...then no MIDI in 2011/02/02 23:14:03 (permalink)
Uninstall and then reinstall the Emu USB drivers. 
Make sure the Emu is plugged into a USB port on the computer and not on a USB hub.

Dave
Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
57Gregy
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re:System crash...then no MIDI in 2011/02/03 00:08:59 (permalink)
This happens to me sometimes with my Saffire. It loses the MIDI for some unknown reason. I just unplug it, wait a few minutes and plug it back in.

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
cwestmont
Re:System crash...then no MIDI in 2011/02/04 11:44:46 (permalink)
Daveny and Gregy, thanks for your replies.  Here is what happened:

Since I wanted to keep using Sonar pending a solution, I plugged my MIDIman back in and connected MIDI through it.  I went into Sonar and made the MIDIman the MIDI input.  Everything hunky dory, back to jamming with my keyboard! 

Yesterday, turn the PC on and start Sonar.  Sonar says no MIDI inputs selected.  No problem, I go into the options menu to select the MIDIman again.  Except it is not there. FML!  Cycle the power again, same result.  Argh!

I unplugged the MIDI keyboard from the MIDIman and connected it to the EMU, and check the box in the Sonar -- voila, it works! 

I am a hobbyist and have spent years slowly climbing up the Sonar learning curve, and really appreciate the insights from these forums.  I am always uncertain when a problem occurs whether it is my bad or something else.  Since time is scarce, it is very aggravating when something as arbitrary as this happens -- reloading the drivers or connecting and reconnecting seems like stuff that should have stopped a decade ago.  State of the world, I suppose, but far from perfect.  

I sometimes wonder if it is worth upgrading from HS6XL v6.2.2, but so far I am sticking with the devil i know.  Any views whether stability significantly improves with the latest Sonar? 

My music:
"If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying?"- Shantideva

Windows 7
8 GigaBytes DRAM
Sonar X3
Roland QuadCapture
57Gregy
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re:System crash...then no MIDI in 2011/02/05 00:46:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
I have heard from a reliable source that SHS 6 was the pinnacle of the Home Studio line. That's the program I have and don't plan on upgrading until advances in operating systems forces me to.
It works great with my new Win 7 64-bit computer, too.
You shouldn't have to do that unpug-plug thing so often, though. I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times that's happened to me in 3 years.
It's possibly a driver issue.

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:System crash...then no MIDI in 2011/02/05 08:16:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
if you were to upgrade I'd consider going to Sonar X1 Essentials instead of SHS7.  however, Sonar X1 line is quite different from the SHS7 and SHS6 versions and it will be another heavy learning curve with either version of upgrade.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
cwestmont
Re:System crash...then no MIDI in 2011/02/07 10:56:25 (permalink)
Thanks both for the feedback.  Yep, I'll stay put for now. 

My music:

Windows 7
8 GigaBytes DRAM
Sonar X3
Roland QuadCapture
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1