Some clarification needed on using line inputs

Author
jamescollins
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 747
2011/02/04 02:00:52 (permalink)

Some clarification needed on using line inputs

I know this is the wrong forum, but I was hoping for a fast response so figured I'd post where there is the most traffic...
I am currently waiting for the $$$ to upgrade my AD/DA converters (to Lynx) but in the meantime, I'm using my RME Octamic's ADAT output to connect to my Firestudio. I have a few of questions:

-am I right in assuming that as A/D conversion is taking place in the RME, I'm only using the Firestudio as an interface with my computer (and for D/A conversion)? This would be good, as I'm assuming RME's converters are superior to Presonus's.

-I also own an Avalon AD2022 and TL Audio C2. I'm wondering how to integrate these in the best way. Shall I plug them in to the Line inputs on the RME (whose lowest gain setting is apparently +10dB) or use the line ins on the Firestudio, whose lowest gain setting is 0dB? Will the signal be degraded when using line ins instead of going straight into an A/D converter? I guess what I'm asking is, is there any way of bypassing the preamp stage on either the RME or Presonus, so that my signal is going straight to the converters?

-lastly, as my converters are obviously the weakest link in the chain, and if using the line ins as described degrades the signal further, how much benefit am I really getting from using the 'better' Avalon and TL Audio units? Will I not really enjoy the higher end units fully until I upgrade to Lynx converters?

Thank you!

I'll have three fingers of Glenlivet, with a little bit of pepper... and some cheese.

allthekingsmen.band
jamescollinsmusic.com

2 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Some clarification needed on using line inputs 2011/02/04 11:01:03 (permalink)
    RME the whole way - that is probably the converter you want to use.  Line>RME analog input>Firestudio digital input.

That being said, the difference between the two units is overly optomistic.  RME is better, but "night and day" probably inlcudes a lot of placebo.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    JamesGallant
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 34
    Re:Some clarification needed on using line inputs 2011/02/04 11:01:51 (permalink)
    am I right in assuming that as A/D conversion is taking place in the RME ? - YES via ADAT.

is there any way of bypassing the preamp stage on either the RME or Presonus, so that my signal is going straight to the converters ? - YES. Turning Preamp to 0 = off

You said the converters on RME are better, so plug your Avalon and TL in to line in on RME.

This is what i would do.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1