Another X1 Observation/Experience

Author
HumbleNoise
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2946
2011/02/04 16:38:28 (permalink)

Another X1 Observation/Experience

I tend to get pretty busy with other interests and come and go with Sonar 6, 7, 8 in the past, X1 currently, and the forums, but just wanted to share perhaps another look at X1.

As the days grow longer in the fall and winter I tend to stop my outdoor activities and cocoon up a bit in my office/guest room/music studio and dive back into my humble (get it?) attempts at making music and trying to get it to sound decent. Always starting from scratch, or a little better, each new attempt.

This year's fresh start of course included learning the new interface of X1 as well as trying to remember what the older version of Sonar could accomplish. Always a bear, but for some reason I really took to X1. Can't explain it, and of course it's not for everyone, but here's the interesting thing I noticed about myself and my personal use of X1.

I'm always drawn back into X1 whereas I never really was that compelled to revisit 5, 6, 7, 8.53. It was always fun to play with music and again I don't really know why, but I find myself really excited about getting back to thrashing around in X1 where I never was before.

I've read that the customization options are limited compared to 8.53 but for me the browser and the Screen Sets offer so much more customization for my usage than I could find in 8.5, I meant that phrase 'could find' which again points to my limited use but I never really understood the 8.5 scatter of tiny icons.

I can certainly understand how someone else could be very frustrated with all the changes but for me they are quite welcome and again the measure I'm using is my new compulsion to crank X1 up every night to see what else I can compose badly.

If I was professional I simply wouldn't be using X1 as it does indeed seem not quite ready for prime time IM(H)O but for this user it's really been a great creative tool and am really looking forward to X1b because I think with a few of the right tweaks this program will be even awesomer!

Please acknowledge I am not posting this as an argument for or against X1 or any user or any other piece of software. It's just my experience.

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
MAudio 2496
Yamaha MG 12/4
Roland XV-88
Intel MB with Q6600 and 4 GB Ram
NVidia 9800 GTX
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium

3 Replies Related Threads

Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:Another X1 Observation/Experience 2011/02/04 16:49:24 (permalink)
    +1

Something clicked in my head with X1. The way things are laid out? The way it looks? The subliminal message that flashes quicker than your eye can blink that says, "You love X1" every time you click play or record?

I'm not going to say anything negative. What I will say, is, I really like X1 a lot and I can't wait for the X1b patch.

:)

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    PeterMc
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 504
    Re:Another X1 Observation/Experience 2011/02/04 17:02:51 (permalink)
    Well put Larry. I love the phrase "the scatter of tiny icons". It's what bothered me about 8.5.3. I too am drawn to X1, and enjoy it immensely despite the bugs. There have always been bugs. They are in your bed, and in your software, always. Some you see, some you don't, some itch, some don't, and some are downright annoying. My mind is racing ahead, but I think I won't pursue this analogy any further :)

Cheers, Peter.

i5 6500, H170M, Intel HD 530, 16GB, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Win 10 Pro (1803) (64 bit), Cakewalk by Bandlab

Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re:Another X1 Observation/Experience 2011/02/04 17:18:27 (permalink)
    Good to hear!

I too am waiting patiently for the next update but I have recorded and remixed a good 7 songs recently and only encountered a few problems along the way.  I use an HP labtop with a 15" screen on Windows 7 64.  My DAW is a Zoom R24.  I don't have alot of screen realestate but still get the job done quickly.  Using the ProChannel, my vocals have never sounded better.  Can't wait to be able to scroll the PC in track view when that is fixed.  

Bottom line, lots of creativity, enjoy the screen sets, and totally know that Cake is going to improve this product dramatically from what it is today.  It's only going to get better.  Until then, I am creating, playing, mixing, and exporting to wave files that I then load onto my BlackBerry and blast in my car driving to my day job.  My entire studio is the size of my laptop, Zoom R24, an Axiom 61 keyboard and microphones.  I use a 70's Fender Strat mostly direct into Guitar Rig 4 64.  Everyting is simple.  Not like the old days running a recording studio in L.A. for 10 years using a Fostex B16 and mixing to a 1/4" 2 track!  Everything "worked" then.  No computers, no crashes, no anything digital.  But LOTS of hiss a limited frequency response due to the tape medium.  I now my age is showing but I've been there and I am here now and truly appreciate where X1 is headed.    

I love the positive feedback and also support those of us working through the bugs.   

Rimshot   
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1