Sonar Producer 7 - flapping/ clicking sound when using imported audio files

Author
GKSchneider
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2011/02/04 18:10:51 (permalink)

Sonar Producer 7 - flapping/ clicking sound when using imported audio files

Hello Ya'll,

I'm sure my problem has been raised a thousand times but I have not been able to find anything in the forum!

A long time and very happy user of Sonar LE on my laptop, I decided to invest in Producer 7 w 7.01 64 bit patch for both my Father and myself (Two copies)

I installed the software on my Father's Asus laptop( specs: http://www.asus.com.au/product.aspx?P_ID=6afhPttZtPFCOfXG) including the 7.01 patch with no complications.

I opened a new project and imported an audio file -  a backing track in mp3 format. When I playback the audio a loud flapping/ clicking sound presents itself. This is not apparent when using Realplayer, WMP or VLC.

The same problem presented itself on my laptop - this has never been a problem when importing audio to Sonar LE.

I have read about laptops having MIDI device problems and the such because of the inferior audio chipset - could this affect mp3 playback? I have made sure the Metronome is turned off also.

Any ideas?

Please let me know if you require any additional information!

10 Replies Related Threads

chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:Sonar Producer 7 - flapping/ clicking sound when using imported audio files 2011/02/04 18:16:34 (permalink)
    what are you using for a soundcard in sonar,importing audio is a fairly simple task as i do it all the time.try adjusting your buffer..look in the preference menu and see what sonar has chosen to use as a driver..all else fails if your only importing audio use mme then run the wave profile and you should be good to go..sonds like sonar picked a driver that wasnt going to do what you want.it did that with me
    GKSchneider
    Re:Sonar Producer 7 - flapping/ clicking sound when using imported audio files 2011/02/04 18:23:05 (permalink)

I'll look into it straight away - thanks!

I'm not sure if this is relevant information but when I play the audio file - a green line ahead of the progress bar seems to coincide at certain points with the clicking - is it possible that the computer has some sort of transport or go-to function in place? I read about a feature called autosnap - could this be the cause?
    chuckebaby
    Re:Sonar Producer 7 - flapping/ clicking sound when using imported audio files 2011/02/04 18:34:19 (permalink)
    sounds more like automation to me..you got me on that one?look into what driver sonar is using..ill b back later..
    GKSchneider
    Re:Sonar Producer 7 - flapping/ clicking sound when using imported audio files 2011/02/04 18:35:42 (permalink)

I did what you said Chuckebaby with no result - I did however figure something out while playing with the buffer settings.

When I turned the buffer settings (latency) in the audio tab all the way to 'Safe' the space between the clicks increased greatly - what does this mean?

My Father's soundcard is a Realtek Digital Output onboard card.
    chuckebaby
    Re:Sonar Producer 7 - flapping/ clicking sound when using imported audio files 2011/02/04 18:51:15 (permalink)
    there is a way in the preference menu to change your setting to mme..the realtek is what my wife has she uses mme..it got latency issues but for what your doing you dont have 2 worry..change the driver to mme in the..i think(playback recording section of the menu.
    then hit apply then it will say...sonar is running some tests..bla..bla...thats the wave profiler..after that it should be good....the latency bar you moved higher is what is giving you pops..chopy sound...try to turn it lower before you switch drivers..dont worry your not doing anything thats not reversable..play with the buffers in queue..try 2 instead of 4(it probably says now)..or try and drop the latency slider...not to low or it will be worse..keep testing as you drop..but im telling ya..use mme for now..i use it now and with great results,unless you got a exturnal soundcard..use mme with reltek...trust me..i gotta split send me a personal meesage in an hour or so..or i will try to get this worked out for ya by sending you a personal meesage with instrutions step by step.
    Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re:Sonar Producer 7 - flapping/ clicking sound when using imported audio files 2011/02/04 19:15:26 (permalink)
    Producer 7 w 7.01 64 bit patch
    You ought to install the 7.0.2 update too.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Sonar Producer 7 - flapping/ clicking sound when using imported audio files 2011/02/04 20:03:28 (permalink)
    It's very hard to run Sonar on a laptop with the on board sound.
    There are tonnes of threads from people who have tried. Sonar really works best with a proper audio/midi interface. That's why I'm looking into running a simpler DAW on my ASUS Net book because I'm going to be traveling and I don't want to lug along an interface. My reading points to using ASIO4all when trying to run Sonar on a realtech on board card.
    I havn't done it for a long time but last time I tried Sonar P 7 with my netbook,  it just crashed unless I used MME which is useless to me. Soft synth's seem to hate MME. So you have to play MIDI with the MS wavetable ! yuck! The only good thing about ASIO 4 all is this situation so give it a try, it's a free download. You can always remove it.

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

chuckebaby
    Re:Sonar Producer 7 - flapping/ clicking sound when using imported audio files 2011/02/04 20:17:31 (permalink)
    hey johney...im running sonar x1 pe on a laptop using 32 tracks,session drummer 3 boat loads of effects and no problems at all..not sure if you read his post but..hes importing audio...why would he need an outbard soundcard??..im sure eventualy this would be the way to go but id love to see these "tons" of threads your talking about..can you leave a link for those threads...it might help the op get a better idea..cause god knows im running it better than ever on a laptop
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Sonar Producer 7 - flapping/ clicking sound when using imported audio files 2011/02/04 22:11:05 (permalink)
    GK, do you still have Sonar LE installed on your laptop?
    If so, check to see what driver mode it is using.
    All versions of Sonar prior to X1 (and maybe X1) default to WDM. The Realtek soundchip does not support that driver mode well.
    In Sonar, go to Options>Audio>Advanced.
    You can change the driver mode to MME, which will give you higher latency, which is not an issue of you are doing playback only.
    You might also try the WASAPI driver, if Sonar 7 has that option.
    It should be supported in Vista and W7, and is much more efficient.
    In either case, run the wave profiler, and restart Sonar.

btw, you don't hear this in the players, because they are not attempting to use the sound card in a full duplex mode. Sonar does, and it puts a real strain on the sound card and its drivers.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Sonar Producer 7 - flapping/ clicking sound when using imported audio files 2011/02/04 23:13:22 (permalink)
    Chuckbaby Ok seriously, I would like to make it work too, I just installed ASIO 4 all and the glitches have disappeared from mine.
    What set up of drivers are you using.
    There has been a steady stream of thread since I joined this forum from people using on board sound cards and they have big issues, The general advice is to ditch the on board and purchase a interface, But I know some people here have had success with on board but I've yet to see it be consistent facts on how to do this. I'm hoping it does work. I too am not planing on recording audio, just playback and editing, mostly MIDI.
    I was just playing around with Reaper, Cubase LE4 and Guitar studio 2002. What a waste of time this has been, I would rather just use Sonar 7.

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1