This took 5 months. How's it sounding?

Author
johnnyV
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2677
2011/02/05 15:02:50 (permalink)

This took 5 months. How's it sounding?

Bottle it Up= Cover song, not original, sung by Emily

This is one of 6 songs we recorded with my band "Uncle Ruclkel" for Emily the bass players 17 year old daughter who is attending music college this year.
I used it as a learning tool to get my brain around all the features of Sonar.
We recorded live drums/bass/scratch vocal/ guitar. Overdubbing some keyboards ,accordion, dobro and misc. guitar parts . Emily was home for Christmas so I had her finish the vocals. Her dynamics were all over the map so took a lot of editing to even them out.
I like the mix on this song, Bottle it Up. I will need to re do most of the others.
So, I think this is good, but as this is a learning tools for me any feedback that will lead to improvements is much appreciated.  Thanks in advance for taking the time to listen.

Recorded live to Sonar 7 Tascam us1641 interface, Win XP 32 bit.   July 2010
Mixed last week and mastered in Wave Lab 5.

Bottle it up = http://www.soundclick.com...&q=hi&newref=1

Main song Page if you have time for more songs too.
http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1119880

post edited by johnnyV - 2011/02/07 11:18:27

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
 Scarlett 6i6
Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

20 Replies Related Threads

Kroneborge
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1300
    Re:This took 5 months. How's it sounding? 2011/02/05 15:05:09 (permalink)
    every time I click it says blocked code wrong ID.

Sorry

Mathew

Hip Hop
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

johnnyV
    Re:This took 5 months. How's it sounding? 2011/02/05 15:06:57 (permalink)
    http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1119880     Fixed link edit

Try this or I also post above main page thanks kroneborge

http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1119880
    post edited by johnnyV - 2011/02/05 20:10:45

Scarlett 6i6
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:This took 5 months. How's it sounding? 2011/02/05 16:24:09 (permalink)
    Just go to the FULL song page. and copy the link at the top address bar....

Interesting song. It sounds good. Not as crisp sounding as I would like to hear but still a good job.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Kroneborge
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1300
    Re:This took 5 months. How's it sounding? 2011/02/05 17:34:50 (permalink)
    This is probably the link you want

http://www.soundclick.com...&q=hi&newref=1

When the player opens you can grab the link from within it.

Agreed that her vocals are a bit over the place, maybe a bit more compression?

As far as the song as a whole, it's played decent, and overall the mix is ok, but I'm just not really feeling it that much (course it's not my style of music, so take that with a grain of salt).

Thanks,

Mathew

Hip Hop
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    Re:This took 5 months. How's it sounding? 2011/02/05 18:08:29 (permalink)
    The vocals need to be clearer. She probably could use some work on her mic technique, but you can make some adjustments to clear things up some. An eq boost in the higher freq might do it, and perhaps a little roll off in the low end and mid lows also. It's a good performance, but her track has no sheen to it. Cool song.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    listen
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 593
    Re:This took 5 months. How's it sounding? 2011/02/05 18:19:27 (permalink)
    rsp@odyssey.net

The vocals need to be clearer. She probably could use some work on her mic technique, but you can make some adjustments to clear things up some. An eq boost in the higher freq might do it, and perhaps a little roll off in the low end and mid lows also. It's a good performance, but her track has no sheen to it. Cool song.

Randy

My comments would echo Randy's -
    Nice song but the vocal makes me have to listen to hard to hear and understand what she is saying. 

- Listen -
    FOH Mixer & Recording Studio Manager
    Nothing but the grace of God - mggtg.

VS 700C - R / CONSOLE 1 / NEVE PORTICO 5017 / TASCAM UH-7000 / SONAR PLATINUM  / REASON RECORD 9 / VMP 2 / UREI 7110's / UA LA-610 MkII / AUDIENT ASP 880 / CREATION STATION 450 V 5 WINDOWS 10 / HOME 64 - BIT / SKYLAKE CORE i7 (i7 - 6700, 4 CORES/8 THREADS)
    johnnyV
    Re:This took 5 months. How's it sounding? 2011/02/05 19:18:52 (permalink)
    Yes, agreed about the vocals.  it's her first time in a studio environment and in a way I do not want to spend a lot more effort as it's been 2 weeks already going manually trough each take etc. One thing I did not have to use was pitch correction. Her pitch is very good for someone who's only been singing for a short while.  I think she needs to hear herself and the dynamics and learn from this. These songs are her dad's idea as a keepsake and a tool.  Believe me I tried to get her to use the mike properly but she would actually almost do the opposite and move closer to be louder. This is from singing in front of audiences I guess and trying to accent phrases. . Next time I'll use a 2" condenser with lots of space.
    Thanks for the comments and soundclick pointers, I don't particularly like the web site much but so far it's free and it's simple enough. Had one person e mail and complain about the naked girls? I guess I  missed that thanks to firefox.
    By the way this is not an original, non of them are I will delete them once I've finalized the mix and using this for her to share with her friends too.
    post edited by johnnyV - 2011/02/05 19:23:13

Scarlett 6i6

spacealf
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re:This took 5 months. How's it sounding? 2011/02/06 13:50:04 (permalink)
    Do you actually want my review? After 5 months I think somone lost the mix. To me the vocals should have been at about 2dB louder (and if that can not be done - the rest down about 2dB). It seems like a pretty good song, but her soft parts of the vocal should be what the mix goes by. Of course I would have added more low end also, but then a mix is all subjective anyway. The vocals needed to be a bit louder to me.

Thanks for your time, but I am an old crazy one perhaps.

new RME Babyface with old computer,
    and what do I know?, along with Sonar 7.
    ----- old sound card blues - if anyone even
    calls that thing a sound card. Poorly done also,
    in a hurry for reasons explained above. (crazy old person)
    But redo and redo and redo is an option also.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXkDneBKOmo
    and now I get to do it all again, along with a bad video.
    Playing a musical instrument is a state of mind where a person can be insane!

johnnyV
    Re:This took 5 months. How's it sounding? 2011/02/06 14:35:49 (permalink)
    It didn't take 5 months to mix, it took me 5 months because of not having time to work on it full time. She also had major dental surgery  last summer after we did the bed tracks so took until Christmas for her to get her mouth back! She has a mouth full of braces!
    OK so if the only problem is the vocals not being clear then I'll be happy. As I say, she need to listen to what happened here and learn from it. She is very serious about a career  in music and this demo is not intended as a album release etc. It's for her to benchmark this point in time and for me as a project to get better with using DAW.
    I tried running the vocals trugh a few compressors but to my ears it always ended up a little distorted on the hot spots. So I had to tool copy the track into wave lab and manually raise and lower each phrase. At a certain point I was not willing to spend more time , this is a favor and they don't want me to fuss.
    I had to remove low end at 100hz h i pass because though systems with subs it was way to boomy. Any one else think the low end is lacking? easy to put it back.
    I will try adding a little sparkle to vocals and might re try a compressor.
    Thanks for input it's all very helpful.
    Will have a chance on wed and will re post with improvements.

Scarlett 6i6

bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:This took 5 months. How's it sounding? 2011/02/06 14:43:30 (permalink)
    I like this tune. The snare could use a bit more snap, but that just may be me.

As said above the vox seem 'dull' but she has the chops for sure.

radio
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:This took 5 months. How's it sounding? 2011/02/06 14:47:57 (permalink)

Love this song , its tight sounding and the vocals sound great !

Nice piece of work you did here ! Radio

thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:This took 5 months. How's it sounding? 2011/02/06 14:57:23 (permalink)
    ok...first let me throw out here...I love this lil ladies phrasing..very interesting and she takes loads of chances...and if she can sand-out all the lil rough ends she would be a great leading end to some very cool music....btw I really like the way the band worked together so that whole thing seemed to be in place...

second point...knowing when to call it quits w/a tune is really important! What we've done (on Distant Towers songs) is draw a magical line in the sand at the 80% mark. In other words once we think a tune is at (or above) above 80% of "As good as we can get it" we call it a day. We all assume that our deficiencies be it performing, recording or mixing/mastering, lack of gear and/or time hide/hold that last 20%. I'm no suggesting that this is "right" for anyone else but it just give us a place to "Let go" and start anew. But here's the whole point to my comments...we NEVER leave any KNOWN glaring issues unattended. So thats my first point of attack when I'm mixing.....to fix glaring issues...and in this case is seems that it was the main vocal part(s) based on what I'm reading and hearing.  Getting her vocals 100% where you need them is 'prolly the most important element for this tune...your very very close so your not at all wasting your time!!

And now to the tune....it seems to me (to my ears) that you got everything above the 80% mark...everything seems to sit well....unfortunately I'm on the road so I'm on earbuds (albeit quality ones) and not monitors so I can't give you the very best listen...but I'm thinking now you just need to keep squeezing her vocals to bring them forward in the mix...this is a damn cool song..so dont give up on her!!!

Take a bit of time off....get a fresh set of ears...and get back in there!! If you need a blow by blow of what I'm hearing PM with your email addy.

good job!
    johnnyV
    Re:This took 5 months. How's it sounding? 2011/02/06 15:30:08 (permalink)
    Hey Pogue, You should be an engineer therapist! Thanks for you words of wisdom and 100% true. After I wrote last post I resumed my housework and was thinking along the same lines! Your words put in perfect perspective what I was thinking. Don't give up on the vocals. It's what her family is counting on me to do, make her sound great!

I held back on to much compression because it seemed to trash what she was trying to do which was being expressive! She uses dynamics to express herself. And I'm thinking . what If I just turn her up? or eq? The problem seems to be  the low parts are hard to hear, but the loud parts can be abrasive  if not softened down some how.
    Believe me, I tried  bunch of compression and stuff. The original take was at least 15 db of dynamic range.

Thanks to all for listening. Wish I had time today for a re mix but the dearly beloved has a vacuum tied to my wrist.
    post edited by johnnyV - 2011/02/06 15:33:15

Scarlett 6i6

darylcrowley
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:This took 5 months. How's it sounding? 2011/02/06 15:33:40 (permalink)
    This is good tune, and pretty well done.  While it needs some mixing work, really it's all there, just need to get the EQ, Compressiong, Reverb, Presences... and all the other  pieces of the mixing mystery in place.

Vocals a touch flat in a couple of spots, but easily redone or you may be able to fix them with V-Vocal.

It's a good tune and its close.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    johnnyV
    Re:This took 5 months. How's it sounding? 2011/02/06 18:45:12 (permalink)
    Ok just to clarify, It's not my tune, Its a cover, Sara Bareilles.

Bapu agreed about the snare, If I showed you the massive amount of hi end I already gave it, Our drummer has the worst snare sound, When he's not looking I try and tighten the tension:>. He's one of those guys who ca make a snare head last 12 years! But he's one of few in our small community.
    I hate going beyond a certain point with EQ.
    As said by me and many others.. if it sounds that bad redo it! But this is not possible at this point. It was hard enough to get them all together the first time.

Daryl, I appreciated your input, but could you be a little more specific. You just handed out a shopping list of general faults without detail.
    Where are the vocals flat? I did not notice anything out of reason. I might have missed them as I have been known to do. I have "good" pitch, but not "perfect" and have had people point this out from time to time.
    To much reverb? Wrong reverb? Inquiring minds need to know!

Scarlett 6i6

ohgrant
    Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3966
    Re:This took 5 months. How's it sounding? 2011/02/06 19:19:08 (permalink)
     I think somethings wrong with the link, I was able to get to the soundclick one yesterday, but I can't access either today.  I really enjoyed the tune I heard yesterday. Good performances from all. I'm not much of a producer, but to me it had a natural live session sound that I liked.

Me

darylcrowley
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:This took 5 months. How's it sounding? 2011/02/06 20:51:13 (permalink)
    Well perhaps, I played the wrong song, there was no name in your original post.  I just played the first tune on the list.  That tune has some flat notes on near the end on some of the sustained notes. 

Maybe I listend to the wrong tune?  Not sure, which tune was the one I should have played.

I was just referring to, in general, (I didn't mean anything specifically) but it could benefit from tweaking the effects, primarily EQ as it could clear up a little.  A little bass roll off, maybe brighten the mix around 5mhz or so.  A little compression is often beneficial too.

My main point was that I thought the recording was good, but would benefit from some tweaks, but it's hard to say what without running it through my system and I don't have my DAW connected to the Internet. 

IF  I listened to the right tune.

Daryl

DAryl

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    johnnyV
    Re:This took 5 months. How's it sounding? 2011/02/07 11:10:15 (permalink)
    OK now that makes perfect sense. I had trouble with the direct song link and a few people helped me out so I posted the main page link as well, I'll go clean that up. I did put the song title in the original post.
    So you must have listened to "Us" and yes that one is up for a major re do. The pitchy stuff is impossible to fix as it's a heavy vibrato. ( I tried) She happy and has no problem with it. Its a weird song.
    You'll notice all songs are prefixed with "mix1"
    I posted them all here so the Band and Emily can input.
    I thought I'd post "Bottle it Up" on song forum for critique as I thought it was 98% and was not going to re mix but I value opinions here more than I will the family and friend factor. After a few pointers I will also remix Bottle it up"

Scarlett 6i6

johnnyV
    Re:This took 5 months. How's it sounding? 2011/02/07 11:25:05 (permalink)
    Sorry about the links every one, I don't know what the heck is happening. Is it the Forum software?  because it seems to add a little extra underline sometimes at the end of the address. I hope the ones posted now work. I followed advice and copied from the player. The one in the box above the song info doesn't work but its the one I've always used before?

Edit=
    I just tested the link again and it opens the player to the correct song,BUT, it closed the forum web page !

So if you have problems just go to the band main page and listen to 2nd song
    Bottle it up
    post edited by johnnyV - 2011/02/07 11:29:02

Scarlett 6i6

johnnyV
    Re:This took 5 months. How's it sounding? 2011/02/07 11:37:39 (permalink)

Scarlett 6i6

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1