Major problems after uninstalling previous versions

Author
Havengel
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
2011/02/05 18:32:16 (permalink)

Major problems after uninstalling previous versions

I wanted to clean up my PC, and after getting the X1 Producer I decided to get rid of my previous versions. I had 8.5 LE, 8.5 Studio and X1 Studio installed, and uinstalled the older ones. But the uninstall also removed several plugins, softsynths and probably some other stuff too, and I've been spending the afternoon going through the plugins and reinstalling the ones missing. But the worst stuff is that when opening some of the previous projects the program crashes... I have no idea what causes this. Even my newest project crashes the program.  

It's by far the messiest thing I've ever seen!

11 Replies Related Threads

planetearth
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 763
    Re:Major problems after uninstalling previous versions 2011/02/05 20:53:29 (permalink)
    This issue is noted when you install X1. From what I read, if you uninstall a previous version of SONAR after you've installed X1, you've sentenced yourself to re-installing the missing plug-ins.

I don't really fault Cakewalk for that, unless these were plug-ins that came with an earlier version of SONAR but aren't in X1 (which they've done in the past). If that's the case, you can't get them back without re-installing the previous version of SONAR...and then re-installing X1 after that.

Having fun yet?

Steve

SONAR Platinum ▪ NI Komplete, Korg DLC, Arturia V5 Collection, Dimension Pro, IK Multimedia & other synths ▪ Les Paul, Peavey and Yamaha guitars. Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife . Comments from other SONAR users are always welcome!
    Susan G
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12016
    Re:Major problems after uninstalling previous versions 2011/02/05 20:57:50 (permalink)
    Hi Steve-
    If that's the case, you can't get them back without re-installing the previous version of SONAR...and then re-installing X1 after that.

I don't have X1, but with previous versions I didn't have to install the whole application if I wanted say Timeworks or whatever from an older version. I just unchecked everything during the installation except what I wanted to install. I hope it still works that way?

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
    Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
    SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
    Stone House Studios
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3550
    Re:Major problems after uninstalling previous versions 2011/02/05 21:00:34 (permalink)
    planetearth

This issue is noted when you install X1. From what I read, if you uninstall a previous version of SONAR after you've installed X1, you've sentenced yourself to re-installing the missing plug-ins.

I don't really fault Cakewalk for that, unless these were plug-ins that came with an earlier version of SONAR but aren't in X1 (which they've done in the past). If that's the case, you can't get them back without re-installing the previous version of SONAR...and then re-installing X1 after that.

Having fun yet?

Steve
    Actually Steve, you can install many plugs and sound/midi libraries from their Sonar install discs without having to reinstall older versions of Sonar - and X1 with the plug in mangager and vst scanning should find them easily. I've managed to keep the Panel editor that came with Sonar 1 (or was it PA9?) around through many versions, just because I could!
    However, if the OP used downloads that merely upgraded older versions of Sonar, there could be some issues. Also, if during the delete process the shared folders were tampered with, well,  . . . . . .

Brian

Core i7-6700@3.40Ghz  Windows 10x64 16 GB RAM
    Sonar Platinum/Studio One     PreSonus Studio 192
    Havengel
    Re:Major problems after uninstalling previous versions 2011/02/05 22:45:55 (permalink)
    It's from DL update, yes, and no tampering with shared folders on my part.

I was aware that plugins could vanish in the process, but if I had known it would lead to so many problems I wouldn't have done it. Some of the plugins that disappeared were obviously from 8.5 LE and not in later versions, some from the FX packages which also comes with X1 Studio. Some instruments also disappeared. They all seem to be Direct X. It also seems that the Studio Drummer had more kits in LE, and I had to do a separate reinstall of that one into Studio Instruments. It still can't find the kits, but it finds the samples I've used in the projects.  

Even if I did a complete rescan of the plugins once installed, lots of projects reported missing plugins. I also had this problem when upgrading to X1 producer. 

I did a reistall of X1 Studio (program only), and managed to open and save four of the project files 1 Producer would crash when opening, but there's still two projects crashing during opening both in X1S and X1P. And for that I blame Cakewalk. :D Sonar should be able to read a CWP- file when all the plugins used are present.    
    planetearth
    Re:Major problems after uninstalling previous versions 2011/02/05 23:07:00 (permalink)
    DirectX plug-ins need to be re-installed since they're listed in the Windows Registry.

And I know you can re-install older plug-ins if you have the discs; I should have been more clear on that. But, you might not necessarily know which plug-ins came from which version of SONAR, if you've been upgrading for a while. And then digging out everything, finding the plug-in installer and then finding the updates for that plug-in (when necessary) is a bit of a pain.

I agree though, SONAR should be able to read a .CWP file. And if it's going to crash, maybe it could tell you which plug-in is the culprit!

Steve
    post edited by planetearth - 2011/02/05 23:12:14

SONAR Platinum ▪ NI Komplete, Korg DLC, Arturia V5 Collection, Dimension Pro, IK Multimedia & other synths ▪ Les Paul, Peavey and Yamaha guitars. Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife . Comments from other SONAR users are always welcome!
    Havengel
    Re:Major problems after uninstalling previous versions 2011/02/06 18:21:34 (permalink)
    It's the plugins that's causing my problems. It seems the project file is looking for the exact version of the software and the programs associated, and the unistall of previous versions has corrupted them in some way. I even got the question during unistall if I wanted to remove the plugins not assosiated with any programs in shared folders (even if I had used them in X1P), and I opted not to remove. I still had to reinstall. Most of these were my missing plugins. 

I found my two last projects not opening was caused by a corrupt Rapture LE which I had used. After reinstalling only Rapture from the X1P setup I was able to open the files again. But as I did a reinstall of Dimension Pro that came with the X1P update to install the extra content, my projects where I used the previous version can't find DP. This occurs after uninstalling the previous versions of Sonar.... I did a complete rescan, removed the synth from my list and put the rescanned version into my setup, but it's still looking for the old version of DP. Very odd, and very, very messy. Cakewalk really need to get this issue sorted out.   

I'm also having problems with CPU-eating plugins, mostly reverbs and delays. The CPU overloads and crashes the program. This has increased dramatically since I found out unchecking the multiprocessor would get my latencies down to an acceptable level. Running the multiprocessor gives me a minimum latency of 25ms with an Edirol UA4FX and about 40ms with a Line6 UX2, making it impossible to record complicated rhytms and figures through MIDI-controllers without spending a lot of time editing after recording. I've tried all combinations and even ASIO4all, which often crashed the program if I tried to get the latency lower than 10ms. Unchecked I get a latency of 3ms and 10 ms with the drivers that came with the sound cards, but it costs me CPU-power... 

codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re:Major problems after uninstalling previous versions 2011/02/06 20:46:35 (permalink)
    Havengel: This shouldn't be that difficult, if you have the old disks and/or installation files.

1: This assumes you have X1 loaded and working. Even then, maybe you should do another custom install, and make sure all the plug-ins you want are properly installed.

2: Make note of all the plugs currently installed with Sonar.

3: Step backward through each version you have doing a custom install. Remove everything (program and all) and only select the plug-ins that are NOT already installed.  You don't want an old version taking over a new version (note: one exception to this, but I'll mention that later in the last paragraph)

4: After doing this for each version - open sonar and make sure it scans for new plug-ins. Take note of the installed plug-ins once again.

5: Repeat 3 & 4 as needed.

Although this looks like a ton of work - it isn't. It only takes 2 - 3 minutes per old version to get this done. Put aside a half hour and you'll be back up and running in no time.

You also said "I'm also having problems with CPU-eating plugins, mostly reverbs and delays"
    Are you sure they are CPU eating, and not Memory eating? The Sonitus Delay delivered with X1 (and 8.5 in some cases) has a severe memory leak that is documented well on these threads. You will want to install a version of Sonitus Delay from Sonar 8 if you have it. If you don't have it - there are links to the older DLL and instructions all over these forums.

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    Havengel
    Re:Major problems after uninstalling previous versions 2011/02/06 21:32:33 (permalink)
    Thanks for the advices, Coda!

I actually did what you wrote yesterday and today, spent most of the afternoon, night and evening today doing it. :) Only waiting for the program to exit after crashing took me half an hour altogether. So I got most issues sorted out, still having problems with DimPro though. I've uninstalled and installed again, but that didn't fix the problem with projects reporting it as missing plug-in. 

I've used the Sonitus Delay in some projects, but haven't had any problems with that one as I've noticed. And its CPU that's the problem, especially with IR loading reverbs. I'm running the program on a 32 bit 2,93 MhZ Dual Core Dell with 3 gigs of memory.  
    codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re:Major problems after uninstalling previous versions 2011/02/06 22:40:41 (permalink)
    Well, I tried - LOL! I did read your post in detail about the CPU usage and it seemed like you documented it all pretty good, but I had to ask about the Sonitus Delay - just in case :)

I don't install/use Dim Pro, and I have never noticed any CPU issues with plugs. Hopefully someone else can weigh in on those two for you.

Good luck!

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    Havengel
    Re:Major problems after uninstalling previous versions 2011/02/07 05:22:52 (permalink)
    planetearth

DirectX plug-ins need to be re-installed since they're listed in the Windows Registry.

And I know you can re-install older plug-ins if you have the discs; I should have been more clear on that. But, you might not necessarily know which plug-ins came from which version of SONAR, if you've been upgrading for a while. And then digging out everything, finding the plug-in installer and then finding the updates for that plug-in (when necessary) is a bit of a pain.

I agree though, SONAR should be able to read a .CWP file. And if it's going to crash, maybe it could tell you which plug-in is the culprit!

Steve

There is actually a way to find out, Steve. If your project crashes when opening, next time you open it hold down the Shift key while opening the file. This will ask you if you want to load each and every single track plugin. If Sonar Crashes, you know which one was the culprit.  

post edited by Havengel - 2011/02/07 05:24:42
    planetearth
    Re:Major problems after uninstalling previous versions 2011/02/07 12:31:48 (permalink)
    That's good to know, thanks!

I haven't had that problem, yet. I was really just agreeing with your earlier statement, but I'll definitely try this if it happens to me.

Steve

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1