Which version of Sonar is easier to learn and use?

Author
syntheticpop
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 688
2011/02/06 11:47:52 (permalink)

Which version of Sonar is easier to learn and use?

8.5 or X1?

Some of the learning materials I would use are the manual, the help file, Cakewalk videos and 3rd party videos along with the Sonar Power Book by Scott Garrigus.

8 Replies Related Threads

osd
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 345
    Re:Which version of Sonar is easier to learn and use? 2011/02/06 12:55:42 (permalink)
    Are you new to Sonar, are coming from a different version? Edit: (with 500 posts, it's probably safe to assume you've been around the block with Sonar.)

I'm new to Sonar, and purchased and installed 8.5 and X1 simultaneously, so I had no big investment in either workflow. After playing with both, I went with X1. I prefer the GUI and prochannel, though X1 behaves a little odd when I'm behind the wheel compared to 8.5.

It's the age-old question with software upgrades. Jump to a new version with new featureset but some bugs, or stay with the older, more patched version.    

Good luck on your decision.

post edited by osd - 2011/02/06 12:57:41
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:Which version of Sonar is easier to learn and use? 2011/02/06 12:59:29 (permalink)
    Depends on where you want to go eventually. I prefer X1 others will recommend 8.5.

X1 is buggy but I'm assuming that will be fixed. 8.5 is more stable but quite different to X1. SO if you plan on staying with the latest versions as they are released you'll be better off learning X1.

If you are unlikely to move forward you may find 8.5 easier.

How's that for sitting on the fence?
    syntheticpop
    Re:Which version of Sonar is easier to learn and use? 2011/02/06 16:52:28 (permalink)
    I'm still using Sonar 8 until I get a new computer with a larger hd to handle the upgrade's install and it will be either 8.5 or X1.

I already have some learning material for 8.5, such as the SWA Complete Sonar 8.5 video and MusicTech's SONAR 8 Focus Guidebook.  I do not have Sonar Power by Scott Garrigus and also do not have the video by Groove3.

I plan on picking up both products but it will be for either 8.5 or X1, depending on which version is basically easier to learn and use overall.  So hopefully there will be a lot more input to help me decide which is the best course of action for a noob like me.
    allenheresy
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 43
    Re:Which version of Sonar is easier to learn and use? 2011/02/06 17:10:53 (permalink)
    I started out with Sonar4PE then 7 8 and X1PE. Overall, although 8 was extremely stable for me and like all the previous versions... X1 is a step in the right direction. The integrated ProChannel is a great addition. Gone are the days when I have to patch in a compressor, its already there.
    Wait until X1b patch is released, then jump on it. Hopefully by then a majority of the bugs are gone. All in all, from using X1 daily now, when I switch back to 8... I miss the features. The multi-dock mostly.
    syntheticpop
    Re:Which version of Sonar is easier to learn and use? 2011/02/07 14:19:40 (permalink)
    So with the Prochannel, it will help the mix sound a lot better? more than what 8.5 is capable of doing?  I don't know if I want to purchase more educational material for 8.5, such as Scott's book and the video from Groove3 when I can upgrade to X1 and get the latest material for that version.  But I can still install 8.5 once I get my new computer, buy the 8.5 learning material and just use it for as long as possible and try to fool myself into believing that a new version does not exist so that I am not tempted to upgrade.  But the Prochannel, new GUI and a few other features seems really enticing.  And I am interested in making my music sound as professional as possible.  So maybe it's not about which version is easier to learn and use but which one will give me a better sounding result for my projects.  What would you do if you were in my shoes? 
    A1MixMan
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1706
    Re:Which version of Sonar is easier to learn and use? 2011/02/07 14:51:27 (permalink)
    I would get X1 Producer and really learn it inside out. It's not that hard. I wouldn't waste my time learning 8.5 or any other version. X1 is the future and it's here, well maybe not NOW, but it will be hopefully sometime in March. Get the groove3.com tutorials on X1 and see for yourself how easy it is. I've found that if I just forget about 8.5 and focus on X1, it's made it alot easier to learn and use. And it keeps getting easier every time I use it. Yes, it does crash alot but hopefully X1b will fix at least some of that. But I really believe that you should get on board cause the X1 train is leaving the station...

A1
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Which version of Sonar is easier to learn and use? 2011/02/07 14:59:28 (permalink)
    You can make professional sounding recordings with SONAR LE. No matter what software you buy (microphones, studio acoustics, monitor speakers etc are equally important) the most important thing is to study and work to train your ears and get knowledge about effects and all.

You seem to expect the software to make your recordings suddenly sound better. It will not happen. Powerfull VST plugins are powerfull also in destroying your recordings if you don't know what you're doing.

Asking for the easiest program and at the same time aim for "as professional as possible" is hard to match. Hundreds of test versions and auditioning in different environments and studying the general principles is the only way to get where you want to go. If you expect X1 or 8.5 to be the magic bullet, you'll be disappointed. OTOH, they are capable of delivering if you know what to order, as is Music Creator or almost any modern DAW program.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    A1MixMan
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1706
    Re:Which version of Sonar is easier to learn and use? 2011/02/07 19:34:48 (permalink)
    Kalle Rantaaho

You can make professional sounding recordings with SONAR LE. No matter what software you buy (microphones, studio acoustics, monitor speakers etc are equally important) the most important thing is to study and work to train your ears and get knowledge about effects and all.

You seem to expect the software to make your recordings suddenly sound better. It will not happen. Powerfull VST plugins are powerfull also in destroying your recordings if you don't know what you're doing.

Asking for the easiest program and at the same time aim for "as professional as possible" is hard to match. Hundreds of test versions and auditioning in different environments and studying the general principles is the only way to get where you want to go. If you expect X1 or 8.5 to be the magic bullet, you'll be disappointed. OTOH, they are capable of delivering if you know what to order, as is Music Creator or almost any modern DAW program.

Excellent post Kalle!

I agree! Also, whichever DAW you choose you will need to learn it in and out as well just like the other equipment in your studio.
    post edited by A1MixMan - 2011/02/07 19:39:22

A1
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1