Helpful ReplyPlayed for a fool

Author
Jumbicat
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 406
2011/02/06 17:14:23 (permalink)

Played for a fool

it's my 2nd post. I figured since I showed up on the forum a few months ago, I should show something that I've been working on.

I've been playing long enough to know, I do not have a lead singer voice so I didn't want to ruin the song by attempting to sing.  Instead, I just used a nylon guitar voice for the melodic line.

I wanted to have a digital representation of the song. Thanks to Cakewalk, I have what I wanted.

New revision 02/13 - http://soundcloud.com/jum...yed-for-a-fool-revised

Any thoughts good or bad welcome,

Mark, aka Jumbicat

edit - The song forum was checked as filtered.  That explains why I haven't seen any new entries.
post edited by Jumbicat - 2011/02/13 14:29:35

Win7Pro64Bit-AMD-1090t -4 GIG OC DDR3-2k-GTX-465-C300 SATA6-SSD 64G-Sonar 8.5,X2a - Pro Tools Digi-001, a few Axon controllers
http://soundcloud.com/jumbicat
morenoise
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1074
Re:Played for a fool 2011/02/06 18:17:05 (permalink)
Hi Mark, nice song, the nylon string guitar doesn't  sound like a real guitar, more like an electric piano, also the rhythm guitar isn't driving the song along, sounds a bit start/stop. Sorry to be critical , but the nylon string guitar is my main instrument and I haven't heard a sampled one that I like. I also like the song better after that drum and bass break, has a bit more rhythm to it.

Greetings, Rik
Kroneborge
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1300
Re:Played for a fool 2011/02/06 18:29:49 (permalink)
Yes, right around 1:30 or so it starts to feel like it's coming together a bit.  Before that just kind of floating along.

Production wise it's pretty quite, you doing in limiting to bring it up at the end?   Doesn't have to be a lot, but I almost always do a touch.  I think it's still possible to do this and keep some dynamics (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Finally, this is a pretty long song.   I didn't feel like there were enough changes to keep me interested for that long.

Anyway, my two cents, hope it helps.

Mathew

Hip Hop
http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

Jumbicat
Re:Played for a fool 2011/02/06 18:44:17 (permalink)
Spock in Star Trek had one of my favoite lines..."I have no ego to bruise"

Thanks for the great input.

Win7Pro64Bit-AMD-1090t -4 GIG OC DDR3-2k-GTX-465-C300 SATA6-SSD 64G-Sonar 8.5,X2a - Pro Tools Digi-001, a few Axon controllers
ohgrant
Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3966
Re:Played for a fool 2011/02/06 19:46:26 (permalink)
 Musically I like it a lot, 1st part a bit long unless you are adding vocals. I like the 2nd part even better. I like the soloing in the second part a bunch. Outstanding for a first project, I think some of your synths may be letting you down, not keeping up with you on fast stuff.

Me

Jumbicat
Re:Played for a fool 2011/02/07 09:39:14 (permalink)
Thanks for the input.
Rik, I intentionally doubled tracked the lead guitar voice with a Rhodes voice. (good ear) But that was only in the 2nd section during the lead.  I will re-do the guitar with a live track when the vocals are done.
Kroneborge - Nothing was done to any of the tracks. I did use perfect space on 2 tracks. Yes, it is long...The 1st section has two versus and then the 2nd part was intended for instrumental solos.
Ohgrant - I did post the vocals on the site so the listener could get an idea why the 1st part is dragging a lethargic. It is simply amazing how the VST technolgy has advanced. I could have never done this using GM sounds.  I think the final mix with live instruments will sound better.

If and when I get the vocals recorded, I will most likely hire someone to mix it down for me..
Sitting in the car with a notebook plugged into the stereo is not the best method of mixing down tracks....

Thanks again,

Mark

paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re:Played for a fool 2011/02/07 18:03:16 (permalink)
First off - welcome aboard - always nice to hear some new contributors. Stick around and you'll learn plenty. (Not from me - I'm just a regular joe trying to figure it all out like you, but there are some here who know what they're doing and are kind enough to humour as mere mortals and give us a few clues, lol !)

I like the general feel of this - some good ideas for sure. It's kind of loooonnnngggg and feels that way at times. Hopefully the vox will give it some more focus.
Jumbicat
Re:Played for a fool 2011/02/07 18:24:14 (permalink)
Thanks, I will make changes and re-post. I wasn't sure how to go about it, but I read one post, (My cup of tea) where the OP just added a second link of the revised song.  Once I make changes, I will guess it's ok to do the same.  Thanks for the welcome and comments.

Janet
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8094
Re:Played for a fool 2011/02/09 21:27:57 (permalink)
Sounds like a nice laid-back number.  I look forward to hearing it with vox and all. :-)  I like the orchestra that starts in about 1:40.  That adds a nice touch. 
Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:Played for a fool 2011/02/09 21:50:13 (permalink)
Hey, Mark!  I can tell you've put a lot of work into this and I can tell you have a lot of talent there.  other than what has already been said, I'll mention that the drums sound kind of lifeless until almost 2 min into the song.  the kick sounds very dull thudding.  some of the crashes have no ring to them, while others do.  I'm guessing the drums came from your keyboard.  I'd suggest using a drum softsynth.  I can't remember which version of cakewalk you have, but even if it's MC you can download Session drummer 2 for only $10 and that's well worth the price.

I have to say I'm not thrilled with the nylon myself, in fact I think I'd change that to a regular acoustic for this song.  nylon doesn't even seem to fit the song, IMO.

this is excellent work for your first post, tho!  keep at it!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
BENZOFOG
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 108
Re:Played for a fool 2011/02/09 23:13:17 (permalink)
I actually had muted the movie i was watching and your instrumental went right along with it....The loose kick and the brushes added a very dark contrast to the music.
Jumbicat
Re:Played for a fool 2011/02/10 07:03:25 (permalink)
Thanks for the comments.

Janet, I struggled with finding the string voice with the right attack,

Beagle - Thanks, I started this in Pro Audio and do have a lot of time in it. I'm going for a jazz brush set. There are 3 tracks of drums. Each with it's own color.  I've been editing, shortning, pulled the rhodes out. I quess everyone is refferring to the melodic line voice.
I just wished I could sing. I can sing backup all day, but just don't have that voice for lead.
I'll fix it or just convince my lead singer/keyboardist of 30 years to come over and do the vocal track.
Benzofog - What a compliment.  Thank you Yes, you picked up on the pain that someone could be going through.  Good ear. It's very cool when things just seem to sync up...wind shield wipers syncing to music is a good one. Gotta ask...which movie?

Have to do the day job today...thanks for listening.

Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:Played for a fool 2011/02/10 09:58:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Mark,
I know at least one vocalist who could do this .  but it might require some rework before a vocalist could do it justice.
you've got 2 verses listed for the vocals, but no chorus.  and really your song doesn't have a "chorus" unless you count the last part of the song as what you would use for a chorus.  your verse repeats 4 times at the first part of the song with no chorus, but you only have 2 verses listed.  are those supposed to be repeated or something?

the 2nd part of the song, to me, sounds like a completely different song.

if I were you, I'd split this song up in to 2 songs.  then the first song I'd change it so that you have a chorus that you build to and then you can release with the chorus.  currently it doesn't "go" anywhere until the 2nd half of the song but the lyrics aren't resolved in the 2nd half of the song.

an alternative, IMO, would be to create the 2nd part into a chorus.  it's a good sounding part and it might work, but it needs vocals to resolve the verses you set the listener up with the verses telling them that you're hurting because you are missing your woman.  but that's all you do is set it up.  you don't say what you're going to do because of it or what you think needs to happen or any kind of resolution.  resolutions can be concrete or emotional or abstract, but you have to have a high energy chorus to resolve the verses in some way.  if you choose this path, I'd suggest taking the 2 repeat verses out of the first part.

also - your title doesn't really match the verses, but it would if you created a chorus around that title.  the verses only lead the listener up to the feeling that you are lonely without her and you don't want to wait on her, but it doesn't say anything about her treating you badly or making a fool of you.  the chorus with a good hook could drive that home if that's the real meaning behind your song.

this is a very heart felt song and I can feel the emotion pouring out of it, but I don't think it's quite finished.

I hope that's not too "harsh" of a critique for you.  you asked us to be gentle, and I was gentle with my mixing critique, but since you were wanting to add vocals to it, I thought you needed to know my thoughts on the song structure itself without reserve.
post edited by Beagle - 2011/02/10 10:58:13

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
Jumbicat
Re:Played for a fool 2011/02/10 20:15:54 (permalink)
Thank you Beagle, very good input. Everyone's input is appreciated and being considered for the next version.

I fixed the playback page.  There is a chorus with the title in it but I understand what you're saying.  Right now, there's only 2 verses, 1 chorus.  The 2nd part of the song was to express the feeling of change. Like any relationship/marriage, people will go though changes.  The woman it's about...I'm still married to her after 30 years. (1st and only marriage) We have grown apart, but we still tolerate each other :)  I want the song to reflect change.  But without the proper lyric's to support that change, the difference in the style/feel of the tune wouldn't make sense.  So with that said, I either need to get busy writing a 3rd and 4th verse and get some closure or just have two versions of the same song.  Which could work too.

When I wrote "be gentle" I was just kidding.  I won't do that again because I wouldn't want a good idea be not to be given thinking it would hurt my feelings.  (Which is a whole other topic I've been wondering about but will stay on the subject at hand)... I appreciate a honest critique and respect this groups opinion as some of you do this for a living where I just play around with it.

I hope to work on it within the next few days to incorperate the changes suggested.  But again, I can change the structure, but may need to farm out the mix portion, if I can't get it right.  I have a lot to do before I get to that point.

The vocalist/keyboardist I've been working with for over 32 years and who has many hours singing this song on stage, promised me today he'll get a vocal track to me...we'll see.

Thanks again.

Jumbicat
Re:Played for a fool 2011/02/12 14:23:32 (permalink)
Changes made. Still work in progress.  Thanks to all for all the suggestions and comments.

New revision - 02/13 - http://soundcloud.com/jum...yed-for-a-fool-revised
post edited by Jumbicat - 2011/02/13 14:30:20

jimmyman
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2193
Re:Played for a fool 2011/02/12 18:07:47 (permalink)

You have a great example as to the groove, production, instruments etc to
lay out the concept of the song. The mix is also good enough to display what
the song could sound like once completed. Were it me I would narrow the
length of it to about 4 minutes. That may be something that as a writer we
don't want to hear someone say because in our minds we may feel that there
is so much to do, say, express etc and it would take all that time to create
the goal of the visual or expression.

It's like listening to someone speak. Some people may speak or say
something and you go, WOW? it sparked an emotion or something that
had an impact. While yet in contrast another person might ramble on
(at length) and really say nothing. I'm not implying that your song
is such in that since of "going on" It's just a comparative term.

Another thing with a "lengthy" song is the wanting the "visual" in the
person listening to "get that visual". This could become a situation where
as the writer we are "over explaining". The objective would be to
have the listener "wanting" to hear what's next, not just sitting there
and "making it through" the song.

I sometimes see here on the forum where a writer may want the song to
be "movie like". To sort of have scenes, movements or some other effect
upon the listener where there is I guess a story of sorts. I can only
speculate and can't say with any certain validity but it seems to me that
this "style" of song here that you have would be better suited for a "listen
to the music" type of song.

It could be a really "jamming" song. The type of song where a person is
going hey? check out that guitar solo, Man? the band sounds great!
And in the case of having vocals wow? that's some awesome singing!
The lyrics are cool. etc.

One way to put it is that the listener is "into" the song itself and not
a mental image as the result of that song. In a movie my perception that
I get is where the "song" accents, enhances a scene, helps create emotion
as well as a number of other things (but) things are not "about" the
song, It's about the movie.

Of course there are videos of songs where the "song" itself is the
main focus but even then I wonder if the video of that song becomes
the focal point more than the song. I wouldn't want a song of mine to
be "dependent" on the video to be a good song although in contrast
to what I just said the video would "enhance" the song.

However that is "having" the video and "seeing it" as opposed to
"wanting" the listener to create their own image.

The things that I mention here may be more in line with what (I'm)
wondering or thinking about in terms of writing etc as I look at
myself and learn and grow in this field of writing music. That may be
more what I'm referring to than your song as far as where we go
with our works. I guess it's a bit like "thinking out loud" as I listen to
"your song".

Your song very good, I look forward to seeing it develop.

Jumbicat
Re:Played for a fool 2011/02/12 18:56:23 (permalink)
Thanks for that.  After shortening the 1st draft I realized the original was for used as a backup track in a"live" venue. Long so quest musicians could do solo's.  Everybody likes to take solo's....   The song when preformed live is a hoot to jam along with.  I wished I had recordings, but I don't.

I agree with you.  Sometimes less is more.  I think once the vocals are in place, it will makes sense.
Thanks for taking time to listen and comment.

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1