First Since Spring

Author
doncolga
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1519
2011/02/06 23:33:14 (permalink)

First Since Spring

This is a tune I did today.  Comments appreciated.  My sub went out, so this was mixed between mains and headphones.

http://www.ourstage.com/tracks/EPWYNKGTXVPC-headset

HP Z220 Workstation I7 3770, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, Sonar Platinum, RME Multiface II via PCIe, JBL 4326 w/sub, AvanTone MixCubes

24 Replies Related Threads

radio
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:First Since Spring 2011/02/07 07:40:33 (permalink)

I like the song , the drum track I think could use alittle help but seems to work  .
    My monitor speakers decided to go out on me after I disconnected them at the old apartment.
    After hooking them up again here at my new apartment I had no sound DEAD so I ended up ordering some new monitor speakers from SweetWater . I'm waiting on them to arrive this week , its pretty hard to move forward with your song when you don't have monitor speakers to mix with .

I feel your pain when you have nothing to mix with , nice tune .

Radio

acoustigod
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 104
    Re:First Since Spring 2011/02/07 08:32:19 (permalink)
    doncolga

This is a tune I did today.  Comments appreciated.  My sub went out, so this was mixed between mains and headphones.

http://www.ourstage.com/tracks/EPWYNKGTXVPC-headset

Pretty good mix for the most part. There are few comments I can make.

1. The vocals have too much lows in them, which need to be rolled off. They are too loud... sort of sounds a bit like karaoke a bit. This is easily the biggest problem with the mix. It couldn't hurt to bring out the attack/transient a little more too.

2. The ride could be brought up a bit.

3. The kick seems to be lacking power and oomph. I can't really make it out honestly as the bass is more audible. The toms are more audible too. It's not that big of a problem though since there's a lot going on as it is.

Need a song, demo or album mixed to sound great? Why waste weeks or months learning how to mix when I'm sure you'd rather spend your time writing songs and performing gigs? I can mix your tracks so that they sound fantastic. My rates are very affordable. Send me a PM to find out more.
    patm300e
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 845
    Re:First Since Spring 2011/02/07 09:15:42 (permalink)
    Like the keys and the guitar parts...Vocals are very cleanly recorded.

The drums sound too "sterile" for me (MIDI?).  Maybe add some reverb to make them sound a bit more "live". Bottom end of kick lacking (Probably because you lost your sub.

Bass guitar needs a bump up as well (again probably due to no sub).

The vocals are very clean, but seem a bit loud.

All in all this is nice...Catchy tune tune too.  It's one of those that gets stuck in your head.  I guess I'm going to be humming this all day!

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
    acoustigod
    Re:First Since Spring 2011/02/07 09:24:01 (permalink)
    Yeah, I agree about what patm300e said about the drums too. I didn't comment on them really because I thought that sound was intentional. If it wasn't intentional, then that also needs to be fixed.

Need a song, demo or album mixed to sound great? Why waste weeks or months learning how to mix when I'm sure you'd rather spend your time writing songs and performing gigs? I can mix your tracks so that they sound fantastic. My rates are very affordable. Send me a PM to find out more.
    Jumbicat
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 406
    Re:First Since Spring 2011/02/07 10:10:02 (permalink)
    I can't comment due to being new at this, but man....that's what I like.  Shaken...my kind of groove. Wanted to pick up the guitar and get funky. Good work.

Win7Pro64Bit-AMD-1090t -4 GIG OC DDR3-2k-GTX-465-C300 SATA6-SSD 64G-Sonar 8.5,X2a - Pro Tools Digi-001, a few Axon controllers
    http://soundcloud.com/jumbicat
    doncolga
    Re:First Since Spring 2011/02/07 12:18:38 (permalink)
    Thanks for the comments everybody.  I did a couple things different on this one.

I tracked with compression on.  Never done this before, but I love how the mic sounds compressed while I track, plus I had no overs at all...beautiful waves coming in.  Hit about 4-6 GR.  No further compression was added at all.  Aside from panning, that was it for some parts.  A delay doubling was added on the higher falsetto lead.

Confirmed...I mixed on headphones first and it sound like crap on the mains, then mixed again on the mains and it sounded good on both.  The headphones mostly were a panning and bottom end check.  I will say I seemed to spread things alot more listening on the headphones than I usually do.

The song itself...honestly I don't like it at all listening back, at least as it's written now.  It's sticking in my head though...it was really done for the purpose of trying to mix on the headphones, so from that perspective, I've gotten some benefit from it.

HP Z220 Workstation I7 3770, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, Sonar Platinum, RME Multiface II via PCIe, JBL 4326 w/sub, AvanTone MixCubes
    acoustigod
    Re:First Since Spring 2011/02/07 16:16:54 (permalink)
    The low-end and drums are much better on this one.

I still think the vocal low end needs to be rolled off a tad like before. It's not as noticeable now because the low end is now present in the mix, but I can still tell (I can hear these sort of things).

I think there slightly more bass than needed. It's not muddy mind you... but it's a bit too much to what I would expect with my monitor setup. I think in a car stereo where the bass is over emphasized, there would be some problems.

rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:First Since Spring 2011/02/07 17:03:23 (permalink)
    You did this today? You mean the whole thing? Some of the vox are a tiny bit off, but only some, and only a tiny bit. It mostly gives me little feat vibe :-) The vocal that comes in 2nd? The echo vocal? I would knock a couple of db off that part. Some funky piano playing. Actually just coming to the end, I may bring both vox down a weence. 

Sounds pretty good :-)

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:First Since Spring 2011/02/07 17:14:36 (permalink)
    Not a bad mix at all to my ears, but I can see where the other comments re drums / vocal level are coming from. - must have took you ages to write the words ;)

Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:First Since Spring 2011/02/07 18:56:02 (permalink)
    Yep, the words sound quite complicated. :-)  I don't have anything else to add but I'm also amazed you did this in one day.  Catchy tune!
    doncolga
    Re:First Since Spring 2011/02/07 19:36:30 (permalink)
    This is a slight remix of the tune.  Low cut on all the vocals, a little low cut on the bass to make room for the kick, removed some of the vocals, lowered the level remaining vocals, hi hat and snare.

http://www.ourstage.com/tracks/USAUDSSUIMXK-headset-remix

Thanks for listening!

Donny

acoustigod
    Re:First Since Spring 2011/02/08 06:43:04 (permalink)
    Getting better!

Some fune tuning:

1. Toms need to be tighter. I would suggest rolling off some of the more bass frequencies - like 45 or 65hz. Experiment. They might be too much of them at 150-200hz as well. Try gating the tail of them a bit to see if that makes them sound better. Think tight and defined.

2. The vocals now need some presence. The blowing/bass is gone, which is great, but they are still not correct for the song. They need more highs, and maybe even some parallel compression where in the compressed track, you kill all the low frequencies and blend just the compressed highs back in with the original vocal. Maybe increasing the transient a bit will also help.
    post edited by acoustigod - 2011/02/08 06:44:09

listen
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 593
    Re:First Since Spring 2011/02/08 08:47:18 (permalink)
    doncolga

This is a slight remix of the tune.  Low cut on all the vocals, a little low cut on the bass to make room for the kick, removed some of the vocals, lowered the level remaining vocals, hi hat and snare.

http://www.ourstage.com/tracks/USAUDSSUIMXK-headset-remix

Thanks for listening!

Donny

You canhear the difference in the low end on the vocals from the first mix - it kind of sucked some of the presence out of the vocals.  Yet it would depend on if you are planning on putting some lead vox with this.  Presence in the vox makes it work...

- Listen -
    FOH Mixer & Recording Studio Manager
    Nothing but the grace of God - mggtg.

VS 700C - R / CONSOLE 1 / NEVE PORTICO 5017 / TASCAM UH-7000 / SONAR PLATINUM  / REASON RECORD 9 / VMP 2 / UREI 7110's / UA LA-610 MkII / AUDIENT ASP 880 / CREATION STATION 450 V 5 WINDOWS 10 / HOME 64 - BIT / SKYLAKE CORE i7 (i7 - 6700, 4 CORES/8 THREADS)
    doncolga
    Re:First Since Spring 2011/02/08 09:55:43 (permalink)
    acoustigod

Getting better!

Some fune tuning:

1. Toms need to be tighter. I would suggest rolling off some of the more bass frequencies - like 45 or 65hz. Experiment. They might be too much of them at 150-200hz as well. Try gating the tail of them a bit to see if that makes them sound better. Think tight and defined.

2. The vocals now need some presence. The blowing/bass is gone, which is great, but they are still not correct for the song. They need more highs, and maybe even some parallel compression where in the compressed track, you kill all the low frequencies and blend just the compressed highs back in with the original vocal. Maybe increasing the transient a bit will also help.

Agreed on the toms and vox.  I'll try that out this evening when I get home and post another version.  Thanks again to everyone for listening and for feedback.

vechung
    • Total Posts : 818
    Re:First Since Spring 2011/02/08 10:10:20 (permalink)
    Very nice mix!  Very nice rhythym.  I agree that the voices need some eq to clean it up.  I think you need a bridge somewhere.

http://www.soundclick.com/vicentechung
    https://soundcloud.com/thefoundandthelost

Vicente 

Sonar Platinum, Live 10, Motu 828, Ozone 7
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:First Since Spring 2011/02/08 10:15:21 (permalink)
    you got lots of direction from above...but I'll just add the vox still seem to forward in the mix...

cool groove
    darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:First Since Spring 2011/02/08 16:12:23 (permalink)
    I my crappy work speakers the drums are little loud in the beginning.

These sounds a lot like a Shak Attack tune.  I like the jazzy harmonies.

Bass sound good, but hard to hear on my little speakers, so it's hard to comment on the fine mix.

Maybe some congas would be nice on this.  (I say that a lot because I like congas!)  And they would fit well on this groove.

Sure would like to hear more of the bass, what I can hear sounds great.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    doncolga
    Re:First Since Spring 2011/02/08 23:49:03 (permalink)

acoustigod
    Re:First Since Spring 2011/02/09 03:09:20 (permalink)
    There you go - sounds great.

doncolga
    Re:First Since Spring 2011/02/09 08:25:36 (permalink)
    acoustigod

Thanks for the suggestions man!  It sounded really nice in the truck.  This is the first time I've ever added more presence to the vox and it really helps them pop out.  When comparing to other recordings, for some reason I'm more sensitive to the super compressed sound of many commercial and other mixes and it drives me nuts!  This one is not too loud relatively, but I'm very happy with the space it creates.  I think about 6 dB GR on the 2bus was the hardest it ever went, and that was very intermittent.  Does that seem reasonable?

acoustigod
    Re:First Since Spring 2011/02/09 10:13:20 (permalink)
    doncolga

acoustigod

Thanks for the suggestions man!  It sounded really nice in the truck.  This is the first time I've ever added more presence to the vox and it really helps them pop out.  When comparing to other recordings, for some reason I'm more sensitive to the super compressed sound of many commercial and other mixes and it drives me nuts!  This one is not too loud relatively, but I'm very happy with the space it creates.  I think about 6 dB GR on the 2bus was the hardest it ever went, and that was very intermittent.  Does that seem reasonable?

No problem!

When it comes to limiting, GR is not the best way to measure. I typically try and make it so that the peaks get 3.5-4db gain reduction tops. I don't want everywhere in the track to get GR. Honestly, I'd be pretty happy with 1.5-2db GR in most areas.

But a better measure is the heard volume in comparison to tracks it will sit beside. -10db RMS is a good average to shoot for (this factors in the +3). Going past -10db RMS will make it louder, but will probably add artifacts, distortions and will kill the dynamics. Greenday is -5 or -6db RMS for example.

A lot of albums though are too loud for their own good, and I would say are totally out of line. -10db RMS is probably the loudest I would ever go. I will try my hardest to convince clients that going anymore will absolutely destroy their music.

Green Day can pull it off because they do several amazing tricks at every stage of production. They record their tracks with mixing and mastering in mind. The whole production is meant to make it as loud as possible. This is not in everyone's grasp.

Use a program like Wavelab to get your average RMS. A plugin like Voxengo Elephant - the best limiter I know if - will give you an accurate readout in Sonar anywhere in the song. Make sure to set it to Pure+3.

patm300e
    • Total Posts : 845
    Re:First Since Spring 2011/02/09 14:06:34 (permalink)
    Very musical!  Vocals sing in my ear buds very nice presence and mix on them...The drums somehow sound better on the Headphone 2 mix.  Maybe it was in the remix?

This is just a fun tune!

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
    doncolga
    Re:First Since Spring 2011/02/09 14:48:04 (permalink)
    patm300e

Very musical!  Vocals sing in my ear buds very nice presence and mix on them...The drums somehow sound better on the Headphone 2 mix.  Maybe it was in the remix?

This is just a fun tune!

That's Stylus RMX for the drums and on the second remix I used all the separate outputs instead of one stereo.  I added just a little EQ to the kick around 55 hz and rolled off the lows on the bass guitar a little, so that should have separated those two more.  I also rolled off the lows on the toms and compressed and gated them.  The toms and the little guitar part have the only compression mixed in, other than the stereo bus, and the vocals were tracked with just a little compression on them, but none added in the mix.  Hi shelf was added to each vocal for presence.  Thanks very much for the listen and feedback.
    post edited by doncolga - 2011/02/09 14:49:57

doncolga
    Re:First Since Spring 2011/02/10 12:28:32 (permalink)
    acoustigod

doncolga

acoustigod

No problem!

When it comes to limiting, GR is not the best way to measure. I typically try and make it so that the peaks get 3.5-4db gain reduction tops. I don't want everywhere in the track to get GR. Honestly, I'd be pretty happy with 1.5-2db GR in most areas.

But a better measure is the heard volume in comparison to tracks it will sit beside. -10db RMS is a good average to shoot for (this factors in the +3). Going past -10db RMS will make it louder, but will probably add artifacts, distortions and will kill the dynamics. Greenday is -5 or -6db RMS for example.

A lot of albums though are too loud for their own good, and I would say are totally out of line. -10db RMS is probably the loudest I would ever go. I will try my hardest to convince clients that going anymore will absolutely destroy their music.

Green Day can pull it off because they do several amazing tricks at every stage of production. They record their tracks with mixing and mastering in mind. The whole production is meant to make it as loud as possible. This is not in everyone's grasp.

Use a program like Wavelab to get your average RMS. A plugin like Voxengo Elephant - the best limiter I know if - will give you an accurate readout in Sonar anywhere in the song. Make sure to set it to Pure+3.
    When I run Elephant, I can see the RMS, and it's around -15 to -12.  What should I be doing to make that number change?  This is Elephant 2.7 and looks alot different than the latest version.

Thanks!

Donny

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1