Another M-Audio Fast Track question....

Author
paulclaro
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 236
2011/02/07 19:06:52 (permalink)

Another M-Audio Fast Track question....

Hey I have an M-Audio Fast Track. It is the older model I've been told, even though I just bought it. It has the control knobs in the front. Anyway how would I go about recording and, basically balancing the sound coming from the mic and guitar at the same time.  There is a button on the back that says Guitar/Line. In is for guitar and out if for Line. What position is this button supposed to be in for recording both? Probably a dumb question, but I'm still a newbie. I'm thinking that I'd have to adjust the volume of the guitar on the guitar itself and adjust the mic volume with the knob in front that says "mic input". And I'm pretty sure that the button on the front that says Stereo/Mono should be on mono. Any suggestions would be great.

Win 7 Dell intel Core i3, 2.40 ghz, 6gb RAM, 64bit OS, Sonar X3-Producer, M-Audio Fast Track, Nady SMPS-1X Condensor Mic.

3 Replies Related Threads

RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Another M-Audio Fast Track question.... 2011/02/07 20:07:34 (permalink)
    paulclaro

Anyway how would I go about recording and, basically balancing the sound coming from the mic and guitar at the same time.  There is a button on the back that says Guitar/Line. In is for guitar and out if for Line. What position is this button supposed to be in for recording both? 

That button only affects the 1/4" input. It adjusts the impedance to match your source.
    Set it to the Guitar position.

To record both mic and guitar, you need to select the inputs in Sonar.
    First, go to Options>Audio>Drivers, and make sure all of the M-Audio inputs are checked.
    Then insert two audio tracks.
    In the first, select Fast Track Microphone as the Input.
    In the second, select Fast Track Guitar Input.
    This will allow you to record each source to its own track.
    Now arm both tracks.
    Speak into the mic. Only the meter on track one should move.
    Now strum your guitar. Only the meter on track two should move.
    The Fast Track is sending these signals to SHS as mono, so be sure the track interleave is set to mono as well.
    The MONO  button has no bearing on the signal sent to SHS. It is only for direct monitoring, and affects the signal sent directly to the Fast Track Audio outputs(connected to your speakers)
    hth

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    paulclaro
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 236
    Re:Another M-Audio Fast Track question.... 2011/02/07 21:45:34 (permalink)
    Only problem is I don't see Ft microphone or FT guitar. All I see for input options are M Audio FT 1 in 1 out and in the dropdown I see Left FT 1/2, Right FT 1/2 and Stereo FT 1/2. I have nothing pluggen to my FT at the moment, but I don't think that should make a difference. I began a new project "Normal" with two audio tracks that are labeled Audio 1 Left Channel and Audio 2 Right Channel.

Win 7 Dell intel Core i3, 2.40 ghz, 6gb RAM, 64bit OS, Sonar X3-Producer, M-Audio Fast Track, Nady SMPS-1X Condensor Mic.
    RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Another M-Audio Fast Track question.... 2011/02/07 22:03:47 (permalink)
    Reading from the Getting Started Guide, the mic should left, and the guitar should be right.
    Select those. The stereo input will most likely blend the two, and you won't be able to isolate your tracks.
    I don't have one, I'm just reading the manual.
    Plug your stuff in, and see what happens. You should be good to go.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1