Exact sounds of the Electric Drum Set to my computer

Author
Sideburns
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2011/02/08 09:35:16 (permalink)

Exact sounds of the Electric Drum Set to my computer

Hi I'm new to Cakewalk, and I've bought Cakewalk's Music Creator 5. I have underestimated its user-friendliness with my problem.

What I want to do is simply record music from my Yamaha DTXplorer (electric drum set) to my computer as clean as possible. One problem I found was that whatever I play on the drums, it just corresponds to the standard kit on Music Creator.

Example: Using a cowbell sound over my snare pad. When played and heard on Music Creator, it makes a stick sound (which is the standard set).

I'm just asking how to record whatever sound I play on the electric drums to Music Creator 5, within the easiest way as possible.

Here's what I have:
-Yamaha DTXplorer drum set / module
-Cakewalk USB MIDI Interface UM-2G
-MIDI wire
-Music Creator 5
-Not sure if this is my sound card but, SigmaTel C-Major Audio?

Thank you 

8 Replies Related Threads

RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Exact sounds of the Electric Drum Set to my computer 2011/02/08 10:23:18 (permalink)
    To record the actual sound of your DTXplorer, you will need to connect the audio line out to the line in of your sound card.
    You can record this to a normal audio track.
    The sound is not transmitted via MIDI, only data. The data triggers sound in a different sound module (in this case, the drums in MC5).

hth

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Sideburns
    Re:Exact sounds of the Electric Drum Set to my computer 2011/02/09 06:33:12 (permalink)
    ohh... So there's no "translator" I can make or find to have the exact sounds from my electric set? Does the drum map manager do anything to help me out? I thought there was a possible way to edit a map from my data to the computer...

And there's no Audio line output on my module. There's only Aux In. Unless the headphones socket would do? I'm sorry I'm pretty bad at technology being a complete beginner to the recording path.

Thank You RobertB 
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Exact sounds of the Electric Drum Set to my computer 2011/02/09 13:45:53 (permalink)
    According to Yamahas site your kit has Left/Mono and Right output. That should do.

The drum maps have nothing to do with the actual sounds of synths. They just include info like " the snare of this synth is located where the tom1 of that synth is", but they include no audio data..

If your kit had MIDI in, you could record MIDI in MC, and then play the MIDI through your kit and record the audio output .

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Exact sounds of the Electric Drum Set to my computer 2011/02/10 11:53:33 (permalink)
    side.. as already mentioned previous.. setup both the audio / midi for it..

ALSO the base octave for that might be wrong, so you can adjust that in options perhaps.. or Yamaha's mapping is different.

I use an MU128 , but to get it to change from the standard kit you need to send it 2 midi messages.. 1 a bank change.. 2 the patch number change..

you might be able to find an instrument definition to make that task straight forward / transparent.

Sideburns
    Re:Exact sounds of the Electric Drum Set to my computer 2011/02/11 09:54:44 (permalink)
    @Kalle I see, well my drum module has no MIDI in it. So I don't really think I can record in MIDI unless someone shows it to me. About the Left/Right stereo outputs, I remember there was a device that acts as an interface from the stereo outputs to the computer. I wonder if I can get such a thing.

@Fog If I can simplify what you're saying, you're telling me to send MIDI messages to get my kit to change my kit or the standard kit? Unfortunately, Idk if my drum module can send midi messages... I have no idea how either... sorry
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Exact sounds of the Electric Drum Set to my computer 2011/02/11 10:26:58 (permalink)
    So I don't really think I can record in MIDI unless someone shows it to me

You have MIDI out, which is what you need to record MIDI, and play the drums with the sounds offered by Music Creators Studio Instruments.

Don't fall in despair and keep repeating "I don't know how" as long as you haven't done the tutorials nor read the help files about soft synths and drum-maps. I'm sure there's a map for Yamaha that gives you cowbell for cowbell instead of the sticks.

And, as said, you can record the actual sounds of your drum kit through its audio outputs. The editability of MIDI is'nt available then, unfortunately.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Sideburns
    Re:Exact sounds of the Electric Drum Set to my computer 2011/02/11 11:48:12 (permalink)
    I read the manual, skimmed through the help section as well as some forums. I think I was really close into changing the sounds. First, I inserted Cakewalk TTS-1 from soft synths. Then I hit the top button of channel 10 (which is the drum midi). Although when I try to change different sounds when hitting my pads, it just goes back to the original standard sound...
    Sideburns
    Re:Exact sounds of the Electric Drum Set to my computer 2011/02/11 11:59:31 (permalink)
    @Fog I found the section on Instrument definitions, gonna read it right now
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1