Record entire band at once or do it by single tracks

Author
jvgiannini
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24
2011/02/08 20:59:33 (permalink)

Record entire band at once or do it by single tracks

Some members in my band want to record all of us at once and are toying with going to a facility that may provide us with that capability. I have to admit, when we play as a band, amazing things happen as we feed off of each other unlike what happens when we record individual tracks in a studio. Just not the same energy and I agree with them.

My question out there is, Is this typical? My response to the band is, most recordings are done as individual tracks and this is the typical, most common way of doing things as opposed to "live" recordings. As a person producing the recording, I'm biased because I have more control over each individual track. Am I right in saying this? I don't have a lot of industry experience.

I would really like your input

Thanks!

Jim Giannini
http://www.touchpointband.com

Sonar X1b
Roland Octa-Capture

Dell Studio XPS 9100
i7CPU 2.80 GHz
9.00 GB Ram
Windows 7 SP1 64Bit

15 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Record entire band at once or do it by single tracks 2011/02/08 21:40:45 (permalink)
    Bands do it either way.

One thing is for sure if the band is great at live recording it will be smoking hot.

If the band isn't great it will be humiliating and divisive to the membership.

I've come to realize that either way everyone should know how to play to a click track.

Often times the "we gotta play it live" bands have too many members that can't play to a click... which ends up meaning they aren't good at over dubbing either.

Playing music for recording is a specific skill that requires experience.

A great studio with a really good engineer and producer can set you up for a good experience but there is always a balance between the desire for separation and the unfamiliarity of being separated.

You really just have to see how it works out.

I've worked with live in one room bands that had it totally together... 1 or 2 takes per song and you are finished.

I've also worked with bands where everyone or their amp was in a seperate room because overdubs were anticipated as necessary... often times in those instances I wish we had just started with a multi track process... drums, then bass, then harmonic content approach because if the band already knows it's not gonna make it through the song... having a bunch of tracks of that stuff doesn't make it better or easier.

In any event, all you can do is try... basically your band has to get some experience specific to how it works for your band. It's going to take a few tries.

I once played in a hippy jam band that could do *amazing things*... improvise... turn the song around on a dime... change up without even giving each other a nod... drop another song into the middle and come back to the first... it was smoking hot. Well, we never could record that... it just wasn't in the stars.

Good luck! Keep it fun!

best regards,
    mike

post edited by mike_mccue - 2011/02/08 21:46:55

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Record entire band at once or do it by single tracks 2011/02/08 21:53:49 (permalink)
    There is no right answer.  Great recording have been made both ways - by the same band.  It depends upon the studio and how many musicians you are recording at once.  If you are going into a real studio that is set up for live recording I'd try that way first.  As Mike says, if it clicks it is great and fast (ie. cheap).  If nothing else, if you can get the rhyhtm tracks down you are far ahead in the game.

On the other hand, if you can't make it through a song w/o a mistake which crashes the whole process, might as well do it track at a time.  Saves a lot of frustration that way.  Before you go into the studio be sure and have someone in charge of making that call.  Nothing worse than spending half your budget and not getting a damn thing down except fragments of songs.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:Record entire band at once or do it by single tracks 2011/02/08 22:02:01 (permalink)
    Yeh, though I'm myself a one at a time guy, since I'm a one at time band, and you can do it eithe rway, I think that there's obviously going to be some sort of extra mojo that can come from people playing together.

What's often done in the pro world is that they use isolation so that they can record everyone playing together, or at least the basic tracks of the song, but only keep the really good bits from any given take since there's no leakage between them. So you can lay down drums, bass, guitars and keyboards, and vocals all together. Do it to a click track and you can do multiple takes and then pick the best performance from each of them for each player, as long as everyone is being pretty consistent.

Then you can do various other overdubs as required. And, even if you never get a good take from one of the folks, the other basic parts are there to go back and play to so that at least he's now overdubbing to an existing real performance.

Actually, a lot of times what they are really trying to do during that initial phase is get a really good isolated drum track, and if there's anything else that comes out magical, all the better and keep that as well.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    EyjolfurG
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 103
    Re:Record entire band at once or do it by single tracks 2011/02/09 06:12:14 (permalink)
    We had this issue in a blues rock band I was in some years back.  Live recording where full of life and powerful but the vocals where not as good as they could have been.  
    And recording to click track one instrument after another was better sounding  but lacking a the energy.  We tried the third way to record live with the vocals in headphones and the singer stand away from other microphones.  The vocal track would not be used in the mix but recorded again plus backing vocals and perhaps some extra instruments.  I felt that this method captured most of the live spirit.

Eyjolfur G.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Record entire band at once or do it by single tracks 2011/02/09 07:54:10 (permalink)
    It's already been said... either way is good. I've heard some pretty amazing sounding "one track at a time" songs..... full of energy and life and soul.

Learning to play that way in a studio is a learned art form.

Remember, all the singers you hear on CD have done it that way.... 99% of the time it's them, alone in the studio with one mic and the tracks are playing in headphones, and they are belting out the performance of a lifetime.

Playing live is of course many times a case of the sum being greater then the individual parts.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Record entire band at once or do it by single tracks 2011/02/09 08:09:43 (permalink)
    Everything hinges on being able to play to a click track.

If you need to play live because you need the empathetic ebb and flow of your band mates then that makes perfects sense.

But when a member of the band has to overdub on top of the *ebb and flow* the reference track becomes a click track... no excuse me... the reference track becomes a inconsistent click track... and that can cause a serious meltdown if the players can't play to a click or reference.

It is totally different than playing with humans that can come to you or lead you back to the tempo.

So, when you hear about bands in a studio with instrument and singer separation and the plan to source from multiple performances and overdubs... those players have all learned to play to clicks and tracks at some point in the careers.

best regards,
    mike

Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re:Record entire band at once or do it by single tracks 2011/02/09 09:07:01 (permalink)
    My last band did a lot of recording.  Our rhythm section was REALLY tight, so we'd record the drums and bass live (with a click), and sometimes the rhythm guitar track with it.  To keep the energy together, the bassist played in the drum room (in his socks to not get stomping shoes in the mics) with his amp isolated.
    Vocals, keys, percussion, and other guitar tracks were overdubbed.

It was a good combination of live and track-by-track.  The drums/bass kept some energy in the foundation, while the rest had room to breath while recording the more prevalent parts.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Record entire band at once or do it by single tracks 2011/02/09 11:19:28 (permalink)
    compromise the situation.

do it half live, half overdubs.

this is what a lot of pro bands do.

for the live part, do the basic tracks only....
    drums, bass, rhythm guitar.

that gets the 'vibe'.

overdub all the rest.

you gotta have a good room sound for the drums, otherwise all the other bleed will kill it.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Record entire band at once or do it by single tracks 2011/02/09 11:58:00 (permalink)
    When I said live recording, I didn't mean the vocals or leads.  Well, maybe leads, but seldom vocals.  I don't know too many studios with enough isolated rooms for that.  Most of the situations I've been involved with is getting the rhythm section down in one take (hopefully to a click track, tho some just can't do it).  Scratch vocal so everyone can keep track of where it is in the song.  Doubles, leads, vocals and whatever else overdubbed.  Most of the time that is how it is done unless you have a reason not to, like lack of rooms or scheduling.

Personally, for rock and other more "acoustic" oriented styles room bleed helps with the organic sound.  Pop, electronica etc. not so much.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:Record entire band at once or do it by single tracks 2011/02/09 15:01:21 (permalink)
    If the folks doing the backing tracks are of sufficient caliber to nail one, you can just put them all in the same room. Have the singer in another room just to give them some inspiration while they do those backing tracks. But, if you really want isolated tracks for comping purposes and such, where there's a will there's often a way I guess.

If you DI the bass, which many people do, the bass is a freebie isolated track. So if you have one isolation room or bedroom, you can get a guitar amp in there and let the drums have the main room. The singer can sing in the control room or vocal booth or another bedroom if you have one, just for moral support during this phase, though if he happens to nail one, great. That would get you the ability to potentially get a drum, bass and guitar live backing track with complete or almost complete isolation. Or potentially instead of guitar a synth going directly in is another freebie isolated track.
    Once you get a tight backing track you can actually record the overdubs with the monitors playing back the backing track and overdubs done up to that point at some appropriate level that simulates some bleed into the mic.
    post edited by droddey - 2011/02/09 15:05:05

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    jvgiannini
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24
    Re:Record entire band at once or do it by single tracks 2011/02/09 15:15:37 (permalink)
    Wow, lots of great information. I see most of you do things pretty much the same way. Thanks for all the input. I'm going to share this with my band.

Jim Giannini
    http://www.touchpointband.com

Sonar X1b
    Roland Octa-Capture

Dell Studio XPS 9100
    i7CPU 2.80 GHz
    9.00 GB Ram
    Windows 7 SP1 64Bit
    feedback50
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    Re:Record entire band at once or do it by single tracks 2011/02/09 21:23:55 (permalink)
    When in a limited project studio, I ususally at least track the drums live while recording guitar and bass direct (usually 2 tracks each - one direct, and one via a POD or similar device which is the one the feeds the monitor mix). I try to get the vocalist on a stage mic' as far away from the drums as possible to avoid bleed. This gets me a scratch vocal track to keep the band together during inital tracking and overdubs. I usually get at least two versions of all the tracks before the tear-down. If the parts gel well I keep them all, and will likely re-amp the guitar(s) or use amp sim software. Otherwise nothing is sacred. We overdub and double instrument parts as needed, and come back at the end to get well isolated vocals and backing vocals via nice mic's and pre's. I usually do a rough mix before the final vocal tracking so the vocalist has an idea how everything fits. The final mix is usually an entirely new effort.
    7-string_guy
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 430
    Re:Record entire band at once or do it by single tracks 2011/02/10 20:15:04 (permalink)
    i do full band first. But shooting for a great drum performance only. (with limited bleeding) then we go back and overlay each person individually. so all band members have a full band mix in their ears when they re-record their part.

I7 2600k 3.4g on a ASUS MB with 16 gb of ram
    FireFace 400 AI / Sonar 8.5 Producer / ToonTrack Superior Drummer 2
    Alesis M1 Active MKII / Ibanez 7 string / Fender Super-Sonic
    Schecter studio 5 bass / Boss Dr. Rhythm 880 , also Yamaha DTX full rack drum pad trigger system
    digi2ns
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2694
    Re:Record entire band at once or do it by single tracks 2011/02/22 08:37:29 (permalink)
    I have been exploring these options also. Alot of good advise above. I just did a lengthy recording sessions stress testing my DAW. All instruments in the same space with minimal sound treatment. Used SM57s for all cabinets and drum kit, SM58s for vocals. The mics did better than expected with very little bleed which most was noticable on the SM58 (Singer faced band). Each had their own track in X1 making it very easy to work with the bleed as needed.
    I recently visited a site that Isolated all the cabinets in seperate rooms and mic'd them, the drum kit was inside a glass booth on stage with everything mic'd. All sound was mixed at the rear center of auditorium and played back through the PA. While not practicle for small spaces, the idea of good clean mics for recording purposes can be solved with this idea while allowing the band to really get into it and do their thing together. NEAT Idea.

MIKE

--Dell Studio XPS I7/870 2.93 Ghz, 8GB Mem, 2-2TB Barracuda HDs, 500 GB Ext.HDD, Win7/64
    --X1 64 Pro Expanded, Dual 21" Monitors 
    --PCR500  
    --MAUDIO FastTrack Ultra
    --Mackie 1604 VLZ PRO
    --Line6 X3 Live
    --Gibson, Fender, Takamine, Schecter, Washburn
    http://pogopoppa.wix.com/5thgear#
     http://soundcloud.com/digi2ns  

Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Record entire band at once or do it by single tracks 2011/02/22 13:11:50 (permalink)
    Thats quite interesting Digi,

I always wondered how they could record drums Live ... without putting the groove meister in solitary confinement.

On the music channels I can usually tell they're faking everything (not just the drums) (99% of the time?)

IOWs, it seems that most artists and producers do it by layers (if they want to survive) ... and this is the current paradigm.

But polished band-performances (though not my cup of tea) are a special breed (1%?) ... and as everyone here states ... recording live gigs in-toto can be a spectacular event for some producers and audiences.

Just don't expect the 'painter's canvas' to prevent excess distortion, bleed, ambience, and/or other stuff.  Wave's software (32-bit haha) has plugins to help with the noise, hiss, etc. ... that will plague your live recordings.  (JMO)

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1