New Hard Rock Song

Author
Black_Haus
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 125
2011/02/08 21:04:41 (permalink)

New Hard Rock Song

Hey guys,

Got another new tune for ya.  This is just a basic hard rock guitar riff with Josh Whiteside on vocals.  Have a listen and tell me what you think.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10255614

Thanks.

26 Replies Related Threads

radio
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:New Hard Rock Song 2011/02/08 23:29:45 (permalink)

Hey Mark I like the guitar in this song , nice playing . The vocals fit right in too , overall nice rock song .

Radio

danbob
    • Total Posts : 143
    Re:New Hard Rock Song 2011/02/09 00:48:47 (permalink)
    Hey, nice work.  I like the sound.  When the vox came in I thought they were a little 'lo-fi' - and I thought that was probably on purpose.  I wonder if the song would develop and grow a bit if after the first verse the vox didn't have so much of the lo-mids rolled off?  Just a personal taste thing, really.  Nice guitaring!

RockingChair
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 803
    Re:New Hard Rock Song 2011/02/09 05:15:18 (permalink)

I'm a fan of your music. I read a little bit of the comments before listening, not sure if you changed anything. It sounds balanced for the most part on my speakers to me. I love the riff you've got going on there, COOL!!!!!

Vocals sound great also, and BTW I'm listening while I'm typing this.

You Missed a NOTE!!!!!   I'm just kidding man.

This is @#$*ing great dude!!!!

Excellent, that freaking lead is AWESOME!!!!! Randy Rhodes like in part with the up and down.

Bobby

mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:New Hard Rock Song 2011/02/09 05:42:37 (permalink)
    excellent Mark, you're really on a roll at the moment!
    very cool tune, some great riffs and leads. vocals initially sound a bit boxy but once they get going they fit in fine.
    obviously working with this vocalist is really inspirational for you, so let's hope it continues!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:New Hard Rock Song 2011/02/09 07:04:57 (permalink)
    Fantastic! The drums kick azz, as do the guitars. I like the effect on the vox. Great mix!

String Jammer
    ruralrocker2010
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 616
    Re:New Hard Rock Song 2011/02/09 09:00:55 (permalink)
    I'm getting my monitors today...that should make this more fun.

I love the music. The vocal is too effected, I think. Need to take that low pass off or whatever is taking the meat out of it. The vocal is thin and far away.

Drums sound great. Great guitar licks, though I felt that the melody on the vocal was a bit repetitive and lacked creativity, but not passion. So, it's one of those things where if you listen to it more than once or twice you'd probably find an appreciation for where it sits.

All in all, I'd say the song is probably doing what it's supposed to be doing because it caused me and others to comment. All I have is generic advice since I don't know the vision of the song, but I like the lyrics.

Good work, I love hard rock stuff. I got some I'm going to post later this month.

Joshua Barnes
    Sonar Platinum / RME UCX / i5 3.2 8 GB Memory (Dell Inspiron) / Komplete 10 / Win 7 Home 64 Bit
    patm300e
    • Total Posts : 845
    Re:New Hard Rock Song 2011/02/09 14:16:43 (permalink)
    Guitars are GREAT. 

I think the lead vox could be bumped up a bit.  The kick sounds a little "boxy" to me and maybe a touch too loud...But these are really MINOR comments.  This is a fine sounding mix.

How do you get that guitar sound?  It ROCKS!

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
    ruralrocker2010
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 616
    Re:New Hard Rock Song 2011/02/09 16:42:25 (permalink)
    Ok re-listened with my new mackie MR5's...

Rythm is tight and full.

Vocal needs a de-esser for certain.

Also, it's empty. Anemic. The vocal delivery is good in the mix, maybe a little bump in volume but however your effecting it and eq'ing it, it's too thin. Sounds like paper compared to wood in terms of thickness, vox to music...

anyhow. Hope that helps.

Joshua Barnes
    Sonar Platinum / RME UCX / i5 3.2 8 GB Memory (Dell Inspiron) / Komplete 10 / Win 7 Home 64 Bit
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:New Hard Rock Song 2011/02/09 17:06:51 (permalink)
    Vox could come up in the mix.

The mix overall is very good. Crisp and clean, IMO.
    Black_Haus
    Re:New Hard Rock Song 2011/02/09 20:01:47 (permalink)
    As always, thanks for listening!

This has got to be the best forum on the net for getting good feedback & tips on this recording art.

James:  Thanks man.  Glad you can dig it.

Daniel:  This was an older track that I had pretty much finished.  It just needed vocals.  Josh & I wrote the lyrics & added the Vox Monday.  I found it rather difficult to get the Vox to sound like they where in the same room as the rest of the music.  I guess it could still use a little work.  This one was done in Guitar Tracks Pro 3 so I don't have as many tools to work with for the vocals.  I've got two vocals tracks going here. One with a compressor, EQ & Verb.  Which is the main one you hear & another that is a little lower in volume thats running through Amplitube on a fairly clean setting but still adds a little grit to the Vox.  Maybe thats what makes them sound thin?

Bobby:  Glad you dig it.  Telling me that any of my licks sound reminiscent of Randy Rhoads is the highest compliment in my book.  Thanks.

MGH:  Thanks allot mate!  As mentioned the Vox where a little difficult to get sounding right with this one.  Josh is a great singer in my book.  He should only better too.  He's only 21.  He blows me away with some his lyrics.  We've got some other stuff we're working on.  So hopefully we can keep this going.

Scotty:  Thanks!  Seems like some people like the vocal effects & some don't.   I would like to beef up the Vox a bit but not sure exactly how to do it.

Joshua: Thanks for checking it out.  I take it you like this one better than the Southern Twang we did last.  I think if there where a few different guitar lines we could have added some different Vocal melodies.  If you or anybody could suggest a could de-esser plug in it would be much appreciated. Preferably one that's Free!

Patm300e:  Appreciate your listening.  The rhythm guitars are just my trusty old ADA MP1 preamp, Marshall 9005 Power Amp & Marshall JCM 900 4x12 Cab with an SM57 Shoved right up to the speaker grill at about a 45 deg. angle. The leads where done through Amplitube amp sim. 

Bapu: Thanks man!  I guess the Vox could be bumped up a bit.

post edited by Black_Haus - 2011/02/09 20:03:59
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:New Hard Rock Song 2011/02/09 21:10:30 (permalink)
    I'll have to agree about the vox, but have no idea how to change it.  I love the energy of this and the performances are great!  :)
    Black_Haus
    Re:New Hard Rock Song 2011/02/09 21:23:45 (permalink)
    Thank Janet,

Glad this link worked for you.  I think I'll work on the vocals some more and see if I can beef them up some.  They sounded really good while he was singing them.
    BENZOFOG
    • Total Posts : 108
    Re:New Hard Rock Song 2011/02/09 22:59:33 (permalink)
    We need more music on here JUST LIKE THIS!!!!! ROCK ON MAN!!!!
    RockingChair
    • Total Posts : 803
    Re:New Hard Rock Song 2011/02/10 01:24:35 (permalink)
    Gosh dang it! I'm Bumpin' this thread, because it's worth a second/third/4th etc.... Listen!!!!!!

Bobby

geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:New Hard Rock Song 2011/02/10 10:31:35 (permalink)
    Hi Mark,

Cool song and riffage.  Great playing!

I suppose the vox could come up a little but, overall, it sounds fine to me.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    Black_Haus
    Re:New Hard Rock Song 2011/02/10 20:37:36 (permalink)
    BENZOFOG,  Your enthusiasm for this song is much appreciated.  I hope I can come up with some more stuff along the lines of this tune. 

Bobby,  Appreciate the bump & again glad you liked it.

geeare1,  Thanks for the compliments.  Glad you like it as it is.  I think I may have Josh take another stab at this using my "other" DAW and see if we can't fatten up his vocal track.   It sounded much fuller, live in the room.  It just didn't translate that way to the recording for some reason.
    7-string_guy
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 430
    Re:New Hard Rock Song 2011/02/10 20:42:38 (permalink)
    nice and spaced out..full guitars. wish mine sounded like that...you seem to stick to that same riff through out the song...which isnt bad, but needs a little change up somewhere. you did at 2:45 maybe bring that back a minute or so...just an idea. is that a full pan on guitars? when i do that, they seem to get thin, but not yours.

I7 2600k 3.4g on a ASUS MB with 16 gb of ram
    FireFace 400 AI / Sonar 8.5 Producer / ToonTrack Superior Drummer 2
    Alesis M1 Active MKII / Ibanez 7 string / Fender Super-Sonic
    Schecter studio 5 bass / Boss Dr. Rhythm 880 , also Yamaha DTX full rack drum pad trigger system
    Black_Haus
    Re:New Hard Rock Song 2011/02/10 22:05:28 (permalink)
    7 string guy,

Thanks man.  Allot of peeps seem to disagree on the guitar panning,  but I tend to like it myself.  The Rhythm guitars are panned 100% L/R. 

Yea, the song is mainly based around two basic riffs (one single notes, the other chords) which are different but similar in phrasing I guess.

I usually have the bass turned up quite a bit on my amp and I added some more mids to the rhythm guitars as well.

Thanks for listening

bshehan
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 53
    Re:New Hard Rock Song 2011/02/11 13:55:32 (permalink)
    Cool song.  Guitars sound great to me.    Maybe just a touch more volume on the vox to bring em up in the mix but I like em.
    Brad

http://reverbnation.com/bradshehan

Sonar X1a (well, I'm trying anyway)
    Sonar 8.5.1 PE
    Vista X64  SP1
    Q9400 quad core
    8GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce GT230 1.5gb
    M Audio Fast Track Ultra
    Black_Haus
    Re:New Hard Rock Song 2011/02/11 14:38:10 (permalink)
    Hey Brad,

Thanks man.  I'm glad you like the Guitars.  If I should be able to get anything right it should be the guitars since that's my main instrument.  But that's not always the case.

I struggled coming up with a good bass line for this one for the bridge & lead section.  Nobody has mentioned it so I guess it works.

Thanks for listening.
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:New Hard Rock Song 2011/02/11 16:11:08 (permalink)
    Lenny Kravitz called and wants his song back!

Seriously, some real good stuff here. Performances are tight and greasy.

There is something weird with the hihats that every few strikes it is a lot louder than others.  I understand this is used as an effect, but it doesn't quite pull it off here.

Overalls, while the drums sound terrific, I would think a slightly less processed, more organic kit would do wonders for the tune.

Guitars need to come up.
    mojque
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 47
    Re:New Hard Rock Song 2011/02/11 17:04:33 (permalink)
    Diggin the tune. I agree with most about the vocals low in the mix. It sounds like you maybe tried to blend in the vocals too much by setting a highpass at 250hz. Thus the vocals really have no resonance, no power. It's kind of stuck in a cave down the middle with such prominent guitars, which brings me to another point...

I think you have a predicament on your hands here, because the guitar tone is really great, but you have a lot of verb on your vocals and snare. I'm getting more of a small room vibe from the music, and I think the mix would benefit if you pulled back the verb on the vocals, and especially the snare. The snare sounds great in its own right, really huge, but I don't think this song calls for that.

Another critique, and this is certainly being nitpicky as there is little to complain about, but the tempo is a a bit sluggish. I think if it were 5 bpm faster, it would really have a good rolling groove to it. The drums sound like they're real, so you'd just need a timestretch plugin and apply it to all of the drum tracks. Unfortunately, you'd have to re-record everything else. So that's probably not an option, but...

After a third listen, I think I discovered the catalyst of the drag; the guitar riffs are a bit quick to the next beat. Assuming you played the guitar, I think you might have heard the song in your head at a faster tempo, but then you were forced to physically play the drummer's tempo. It's slightly distracting to the discerning ear.

P.S. It's pretty rare that anyone will compliment bass guitar. If no one comments on it, that means it's perfect. :)
    vechung
    • Total Posts : 818
    Re:New Hard Rock Song 2011/02/11 17:05:31 (permalink)
    Great song!  I am listening with my cx300 which is a bass heavy headphone, but I would bring more bass/kick drum to more kick power.

http://www.soundclick.com/vicentechung
    https://soundcloud.com/thefoundandthelost

Vicente 

Sonar Platinum, Live 10, Motu 828, Ozone 7
    Black_Haus
    Re:New Hard Rock Song 2011/02/11 20:21:15 (permalink)
    James,

Yea I hear the Hi-hat thing too.  Not sure whats going on with that.  The only thing I added to the drums (which are loops) was a compressor.  Maybe I should make some adjustments to compressor settings.

I love me some funky Lenny Kravitz!  I only wish I could touch that level.  I thought the guitars needed to come up a bit myself, but being a guitarist  I didn't want it to sound like a guitar player did the mixing. 

Mojque,

I think I agree with most of your comments. The vocals where difficult to get to blend in.  I really don't have a lot of experience with recoding vocals so I'm just kind of shooting in the dark.  I've already discussed redoing the vocals with Josh.  I think we can get a better sound if I re-do this in another DAW.

The drums I don't have a lot to work with since I'm using loops.  I love the snare sound but as you mentioned it does have quite a bit of reverb on it and I didn't add anything to it other than a compressor to the whole track.

I might try upping the temp but again that will require quite a bit of re-recording and it was I that did the guitar playing and your spot on about the tempo comment.  I came up with this riff outside of the DAW and then tried to find some loops that would fit it.

Thanks for the great advice!

Vincete,

Thanks for listening.  I'll look into more low end if & when we re-do the vocals.

thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:New Hard Rock Song 2011/02/11 21:15:55 (permalink)
    cool tune no question!
    Black_Haus
    Re:New Hard Rock Song 2011/02/12 14:55:41 (permalink)
    Hey,

Just wanted to thank everyone here for giving this new song so many plays.

It's at #1 in Hard Rock!  I know that being #1 on soundclick really isn't that big of a deal, but it's quite an accomplishment for me & my buddy Josh.

Now if only a 100 or so people would buy it I could go and get myself a dozen new purple guitar picks.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1