Expecting Revisions

Author
doncolga
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1519
2011/02/09 09:48:10 (permalink)

Expecting Revisions

I used to have the *insane* idea that my first version of a song would be stellar.  Same thing for a mix.  

I'm not ruling that out, but now I know better and I've happily to have come to terms with that.  I look forward to that process now, and since I'm on no deadlines, it's reduced the frustration level.

Thanks to suggestions on my last post over in Songs, I felt the third mix for that tune was a good jump in quality, but not necessarily "finished".  There's always a possibility of improvement and I'd be happy to go through as many revisions as needed until I'm happy.  How many revisions are common for you all to go through before you begin to settle into your mix and reveal it to the world?  I'm sure glad I didn't put that first mix out on Facebook, even through part of me wanted to.

Thanks!

Donny

HP Z220 Workstation I7 3770, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, Sonar Platinum, RME Multiface II via PCIe, JBL 4326 w/sub, AvanTone MixCubes

4 Replies Related Threads

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Expecting Revisions 2011/02/09 14:44:32 (permalink)
    To me 15-20 exported versions or more is normal, but I really am an amateur.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Expecting Revisions 2011/02/09 14:51:40 (permalink)
    I very often will tweek a mix after it is supposedly finished, and maybe even after it is submitted to a project listing. Some times many times.

I will put it on my MP3 player and listen through out my day..... and it's by listening in that environment, that I hear things..... a guitar lick that is wrong, a piano note out of place by a few milliseconds, a vocal nit that needs to be fixed, or maybe just an EQ issue.

I am getting better, but it still amazes me how that first "final" mix needs fixing way to often...still.... but I'm also learning.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re:Expecting Revisions 2011/02/09 15:10:04 (permalink)
    Most of the projects I work on will end up with 5 - 10 revisions. After the first three revisions the changes start getting pretty subtle, but they all make a big difference.

Once I'm done my mixes they head to master. If I'm also mastering,  I'll have three - five versions. An outside Mastering company usually only provides one or two (depends on the budget of the client).

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    7-string_guy
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 430
    Re:Expecting Revisions 2011/02/10 20:22:42 (permalink)
    I think when you first hear your new freshly recorded part for the first time,you are so in love with it, that you become biased....wait a week, listen again and you hear what you should have the first time.

Its hard to be an artist and the engineer at the same time. oil and water don't mix.

hey that should be my signature, hehe

I7 2600k 3.4g on a ASUS MB with 16 gb of ram
    FireFace 400 AI / Sonar 8.5 Producer / ToonTrack Superior Drummer 2
    Alesis M1 Active MKII / Ibanez 7 string / Fender Super-Sonic
    Schecter studio 5 bass / Boss Dr. Rhythm 880 , also Yamaha DTX full rack drum pad trigger system
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1