Computer optimzed for DAW

Author
rsbkeys
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 27
2011/02/10 12:25:37 (permalink)

Computer optimzed for DAW

I'm looking for advise on how best to prepare my computer for DAW use.  I have a Dell XPS 420 intel Core2 Quad, 4 gigs RAM.  I intend to install Sonar X1 Producer and run an Allen& Heath zed R16 as both fireiwre interface and control surface.  What do I need to do to optimize this PC?

8 Replies Related Threads

Bonzos Ghost
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    Re:Computer optimzed for DAW 2011/02/11 15:23:24 (permalink)
    Only one real way to go if you ask me....Wipe it clean, and re-install Windows...(hopefully not a modified Dell version.) Turn off any wireless features...if it's not going to be hooked up to the net, turn off everything net related. Don't run any virus protection software in the background. (Shouldn't need it anyway if you keep it off the net.) Don't use it for anything other than a daw. Nothing like a squeaky clean pc dedicated for daw use only. Starting "clean" gives you the best shot at a rock solid daw next to good hardware compatability.

syntheticpop
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 688
    Re:Computer optimzed for DAW 2011/02/11 15:26:48 (permalink)
    Open Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs and remove all of the bloatware that was included with your XPS.  Then tweak your Startup programs to disable the ones that aren't needed to load when you login into Windows.  You can use CCleaner, very popular cleaning utility that also allows you to customize your Startup.  If you're not sure which programs to diable, use TuneUp Utilities.  Update and download the drivers to your XPS and your firewire interface.  Finally, disable any programs that may be running in the background or are scheduled to run.  You may also find this link helpful, http://support.presonus.com/entries/119099-optimizing-your-computer-for-audio-windows-vista-windows-7
    rsbkeys
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 27
    Re:Computer optimzed for DAW 2011/02/14 08:25:22 (permalink)
    Thanks to both, seems a clean start is by far the most useful advise.  Any thoughts on using the built in firewire or adding a PCI board formthat function?
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Computer optimzed for DAW 2011/02/14 13:06:38 (permalink)
    I have a Dell lappy that I used for a long time. I shut off certain programs from the startup menu..... and pretty much ran it stock other than that.

It ran pretty good.

I built a tower DAW.... and I must say, wiping the computer clean and only installing the clean full OS and essential recording programs IS the way to go.

You do have to be careful with the factory OS backup disks..... they quite often will reinstall ALL the crapware you are trying to get rid of.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Computer optimzed for DAW 2011/02/14 13:32:59 (permalink)
    Bonzos Ghost

Only one real way to go if you ask me....Wipe it clean, and re-install Windows...(hopefully not a modified Dell version.) Turn off any wireless features...if it's not going to be hooked up to the net, turn off everything net related. Don't run any virus protection software in the background. (Shouldn't need it anyway if you keep it off the net.) Don't use it for anything other than a daw. Nothing like a squeaky clean pc dedicated for daw use only. Starting "clean" gives you the best shot at a rock solid daw next to good hardware compatability.

What is modified in the OS in a Dell version?

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Bonzos Ghost
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    Re:Computer optimzed for DAW 2011/02/14 16:58:23 (permalink)

One thing they do is tie the installed Windows OS to the pc it was shipped with, (some internal code) meaning if you upgrade / replace your pc and wish to install your Dell supplied Windows disk on your new / upgraded pc, it won't work. This means you'll end up having to buy Windows again. Also means they won't support you if it wasn't an upgrade from Dell.

Some may argue that you have to buy Windows for each and every pc, but that's not the case as a mobo / cpu replacement does not require a new Windows purchase. If you have a Dell supplied version of Windows, then you'll have to as it won't install as far as I know.

This could be old info, possibly even wrong, but I thought they locked the user out of certain "under the hood" system tweeks. (Certain BIAS tweeks maybe?) Keeps people from screwing up their PCs and tying up their customer service. (Never owned a Dell, so don't know if that's even true.)

post edited by Bonzos Ghost - 2011/02/14 16:59:46
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Computer optimzed for DAW 2011/02/14 20:19:22 (permalink)
    Bonzos Ghost

One thing they do is tie the installed Windows OS to the pc it was shipped with, (some internal code) meaning if you upgrade / replace your pc and wish to install your Dell supplied Windows disk on your new / upgraded pc, it won't work. This means you'll end up having to buy Windows again. Also means they won't support you if it wasn't an upgrade from Dell.

Some may argue that you have to buy Windows for each and every pc, but that's not the case as a mobo / cpu replacement does not require a new Windows purchase. If you have a Dell supplied version of Windows, then you'll have to as it won't install as far as I know.

This could be old info, possibly even wrong, but I thought they locked the user out of certain "under the hood" system tweeks. (Certain BIAS tweeks maybe?) Keeps people from screwing up their PCs and tying up their customer service. (Never owned a Dell, so don't know if that's even true.)

YEP agree 100%. I have a number of Dells and you gotta keep the proper disks for the machine.... I bought 2 exact computers for my daughters one christmas..... they both came with OS recovery disks...... those disks are NOT interchangable.   Loose the disk... you can not install from any other Dell OS disk.... you need the original OR a new MS OS disk.

AND ..... you can not use a Dell OS disk (OEM) to install the OS on a non Dell machine..... I tried this too.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/02/14 20:21:10

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Computer optimzed for DAW 2011/02/14 20:29:19 (permalink)
    Ok, well, that doesn't seem like a deal breaker to me. Same thing with HP's. However, with HP you burned your own discs. The way I look at it, once you get rid of all the bloatware and everything deleted and set up right, you do one of those disc imaging things like Acronis or something. Then, the Acronis disks become your "win disks" Never used one though. Does that sound reasonable?

BTW, you can't use HP discs to load on another HP.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1