notes go out of tune

Author
Widetrack
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 310
2011/02/10 15:39:37 (permalink)

notes go out of tune

I'm totally stumped by this one.

I'm running Sonar 8.5, fully updated, and using a Kurzweil K2000 as a keyboard and sound source.

In the course of putting a project together, it became obvious that a Kurzweil string patch was playing out of tune. I started wondering if this wonderful workhorse may finally be wearing out and where I could find anyone who could repair it.

But then I realized that only one clip out of the four on the String track was off key. All the others were just right.

Hopefully, I looked at the clip in Event View and Piano Roll View, but there was not a single pitch wheel event in the track. I jiggled the K2000's pitch wheel.  Nothing helped.

So then I inserted a Dimension Pro track, loaded a string patch, and copied the K2 string clip into the dimPro track. It was still out of tune. Finally, I tried re-recording the clip, and bingo, the new performance was all in tune. 

Anyone got any idea what happened?

Another question, regarding the DimPro string patches: In trying a few different patches, I found the attack of all of them was slower than I wanted. I tried patches that indicated their attacks could be changed (shortened, I assume) by mod wheel or velocity, but couldn't make any of that work. I tried moving the K2 Mod Wheel, clicking in both high and low Mod values in the track, and using both high and low velocities. I could hear no perceptible change in the attacks.

Has anyone else experienced this?

5 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:notes go out of tune 2011/02/10 16:15:13 (permalink)
    some dim pro samples are out of pitch.  it's a known issue.  I think the latest version of dim pro is supposed to fix those.

I don't know for certain if the particular patches you're listening to are off pitch or not.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Widetrack
    Re:notes go out of tune 2011/02/10 18:48:56 (permalink)
    Not at all. As I mentioned, both the K200 and DimPro played that clip--and that clip only--off key. Re-recording was the solution.

I'm wondering what caused the problem.
    feedback50
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    Re:notes go out of tune 2011/02/10 19:12:42 (permalink)
    Maybe a controller send was inadvertantly recorded or directed to the Kurzweil effecting the tuning. This can happen from a synth, a control surface, or an errant cut and paste from a different track. I usually intentionally tweak tuning slightly with controller sends when sequencing string sections to make individual parts a bit more convincing.
    Widetrack
    Re:notes go out of tune 2011/02/11 12:31:17 (permalink)
    Wouldn't any controller that got recorded show up in the Event List? I pored over that sucker like an assiduous acountant, and there was nothing there but notes.

But since it was only that one clip that had problems, it had to be something in that clip.
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:notes go out of tune 2011/02/11 12:59:59 (permalink)
    Widetrack

Wouldn't any controller that got recorded show up in the Event List? I pored over that sucker like an assiduous acountant, and there was nothing there but notes.

But since it was only that one clip that had problems, it had to be something in that clip.

yes, all controller events should show up in the event list unless you have a filter on.  if you didn't see anything there then I have no idea what might have caused that.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1