This is a re-mix of one of my songs "waste of time"
Having a hard time getting guitars fuller lol fuller

http://www.soundclick.com/benzofog
post edited by BENZOFOG - 2011/02/11 02:19:44

8 Replies Related Threads

57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Could I get an opinion or two 2011/02/11 11:29:46 (permalink)
    Pretty good song. The bass guitar kinda dominates the mix on my speakers, though, muddying it up a bit.
    The guitars are pretty full already. I suppose you could fatten them up further with another rhythm guitar track, but they sound fine here.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    bayoubill
    • Total Posts : 10899
    Re:Could I get an opinion or two 2011/02/11 12:20:58 (permalink)
    Hi Dan,
    the rhythm guitar is way to muddy here. You might try to double track and pan left right a little. Record and rerecord till you have the sound you want. Also, IMO the lead is too harsh sounding. This is a good song so keep at it!
    Hope I helped.

SWAMP MUSIC
    Sonar PLATINUM        
    Studio Cat DAW

bshehan
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 53
    Re:Could I get an opinion or two 2011/02/11 13:18:49 (permalink)
    I'm not very good at this, but I saw an instruction video by a professional recording engineer, I forget his name.  He said to fatten a guitar part he sometimes clones a guitar track, pans one hard left and one hard right, and then offsets one by a few miliseconds ( I think he said about 9 to 28 ms).  I recently tried this on a song I'm working on and it sounds pretty good to my ears.  YMMV.
    Liked the song. 
    Brad

http://reverbnation.com/bradshehan

Sonar X1a (well, I'm trying anyway)
    Sonar 8.5.1 PE
    Vista X64  SP1
    Q9400 quad core
    8GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce GT230 1.5gb
    M Audio Fast Track Ultra
    mojque
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 47
    Re:Could I get an opinion or two 2011/02/11 13:35:00 (permalink)
    It sounds like the mix is clipping all over the place. Back off all the tracks about 5 db. It'll give you some headroom to operate with on EQ.

The backing vocals are panned hard on the chorus and are too prominent. I don't need to hear the backing vocals, I need to feel them. I'd drop those tracks 3 db, and bring them in 50%.

Not sure what you're referring to in that the guitars don't sound full. The clean track is twangy, but I assume that is your preference. The distorted track on the chorus only appears muddy because 1) the vocals are too loud, so it's really just a comparative shortcoming, and 2) you're running everything up the middle.

Panning is extremely important when trying to achieve clarity. You have two speakers, so think of each speaker as a separate frequency spectrum to populate. When you have a lot of tracks with the same frequencies up the middle, you run out of headroom quickly, because the same sound is coming out of both speakers. The harder you pan different-sounding tracks, the more space you create for all the tracks.

The drums are panned nicely, and the bass and lead vocal have to go up the middle, so the guitars need to be opened up. You might consider a track doubler effect on the clean guitar track, as it will add presence to the track, and you'll be able to drop the volume a few db. Like bayoubill, I would recommend double tracking the distorted guitars and panning each track between 50-80% either side.

The lead isn't near loud enough, needs another 3 db. Bass is not too loud to me for this type of music, maybe a 1db drop or 2, just watch the levels during the chorus when the distorted guitars come in.

Also, if you think the guitars are still muddy after double tracking, try  low/high pass filters below 100hz and above 12k on the guitar tracks/bus. Same goes for all tracks on the low end-- the more sound you can eliminate below 60hz, the tighter the mix will be.
    post edited by mojque - 2011/02/11 13:48:38
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Could I get an opinion or two 2011/02/11 14:37:09 (permalink)
    I agree with above comments. That fat guitar sound is totaly missing here and I believe its what you were going for,
    My method is simply , tubes, turn it to 11, lots of bottom end , of course a guitar with a humbucker is required.
    Play the same part 2x and pan hard left and right. Do not use any reverb on these tracks.
    The clean guitar sounds fine, bass is a little loud, could not understand lyrics in first part.
    Harmony part seemed off.
    Drums some rolls seemed off , I guess they are samples in the wrong tempo.

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

7-string_guy
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 430
    Re:Could I get an opinion or two 2011/02/11 14:52:42 (permalink)
    I hear a little crackle also....unwanted distortion...agree about the bass. the low end needs cut down in the eq section....not overall volume, just around 60-100hz

I7 2600k 3.4g on a ASUS MB with 16 gb of ram
    FireFace 400 AI / Sonar 8.5 Producer / ToonTrack Superior Drummer 2
    Alesis M1 Active MKII / Ibanez 7 string / Fender Super-Sonic
    Schecter studio 5 bass / Boss Dr. Rhythm 880 , also Yamaha DTX full rack drum pad trigger system
    ChuckC
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1488
    Re:Could I get an opinion or two 2011/02/12 03:06:58 (permalink)
    I hear what I think is the kick drum peaking/distorting, bass is a little hot, I agree the back vocals need to come in & down & the guitars need to be panned out. 

ADK Built DAW, W7, Sonar Platinum, Studio One Pro,Yamaha HS8's & HS8S  Presonus Studio/Live 24.4.2, A few decent mic pre's,  lots of mics, 57's,58 betas, Sm7b, LD Condensors, Small condensors, Senn 421's,  DI's,  Sans Amp, A few guitar amps etc. Guitars : Gib. LP, Epi. Lp, Dillion Tele, Ibanez beater, Ibanez Ergodyne 4 String bass, Mapex Mars series 6 pc. studio kit, cymbals and other sh*t.
    http://www.everythingiam.net/
    http://www.stormroomstudios.com
    Some of my productions: http://soundcloud.com/stormroomstudios
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Could I get an opinion or two 2011/02/14 08:20:47 (permalink)
    a good tune, you have had a lot of good advice above. mixing you can get better at, talent you can't buy, so keep at it!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1