Sonar X1 in a PT 9 world

Author
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
2011/02/11 14:10:54 (permalink)

Sonar X1 in a PT 9 world

I just spent an hour reading the posts elsewhere on this MB comparing PT 9 to Sonar X1. I am a small time guy with a home studio who primarily records for myself and friends. I have never made a penny recording any of my work but I do take my work seriously both from a musical and from a technical perspective. Even though I am probably considered small fry, I have a pretty decent investment in studio gear and furniture and I keep up on the latest recording news and I constantly read about what the big boys use and am always trying to better myself in all things recording.
  I am not given to the business side of music( or I guess I would have made buck or two by now)
but I am concerned about compatibility in  the event that some future project might have me working with another studio or with other studios on a project. I have heard repeatedly how PT is the  standard of the larger recording studios,however I am not really very motivated to learn a new set of skills or another software program when I could instead be using that time to make more music.
  So in reading all of those posts regarding PT9 .vs CW X1, I am only led to these conclusions about a small fish in the sea like myself. 1. Cakewalk does everything I need it to and I have been a long time CW customer(all the way back to the pre CW 6 era.) I know the ins and outs of the program pretty well and I know nothing about PT 9 which would be a whole new learning curve.2. PT really offers no advantage to me other than compatibility with someone else in the future(maybe)...3. CW X1 actually has many advantages over the more expensive PT9...

Whenever someone else on these boards mentions a new developement in say Cubase or Logic , there is usually always a counter argument that Sonar can do basically the same thing.....so why should things be any different this time around with PT 9??

IMO the answer to the above question is that PT 9 offers a better ability to work with others who are using a perceived standard. Not that the program itself knocks anyones socks off.

So given my set of circumstances, and I know I'm not alone here............actually I think we are a pretty large customer base that I believe  Avid would love to sink its teeth into. Why should we small guys buy PT 9?? Someone give me one good reason.

Lets just pretend that some day I end up with a mix that somehow makes it up to a studio running all the PT stuff. Maybe I have a client that wants to send my work to someone with a studio that makes my studio look like a knat on an elephant. What then? If the mix is good enough don't the big boys know how to use my OMF or wave files in their PT rigs????

Last time I checked wav files are compatable with every known DAW maker. So why should I spend 599$ for a program that doen't do what my present setup does do? Just so I can cooly walk in their door with a PT file??

4 Replies Related Threads

LANEY
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1350
    Re:Sonar X1 in a PT 9 world 2011/02/11 14:23:29 (permalink)
    I record several demos a week and constantly get asked, What are you using to record these? Are you using protools? I smile and say I did it all in Sonar.  So there is no reason to buy protools unless you want that name.
    I believe Sonar is one of the best pc daws!! 

i7/16GB ram
    Win 7 x64
    SONAR Platinum Producer x64
    VS-700 C&R

Octa-Capture and VS-100 for live recording
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re:Sonar X1 in a PT 9 world 2011/02/11 14:28:04 (permalink)
    Compatibility is all about how you back things up IMHO. You might find this article helpful:

http://www.keyboardmag.co...ad-backup/Jan-06/17454

With this approach, you can pretty much open anything in anything, at any time. The one thing you can't change is the way something was tracked, but that's going to be true regardless of what capture method you use.
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    Re:Sonar X1 in a PT 9 world 2011/02/11 15:06:14 (permalink)
    Anderton

Compatibility is all about how you back things up IMHO. You might find this article helpful:

http://www.keyboardmag.co...ad-backup/Jan-06/17454

With this approach, you can pretty much open anything in anything, at any time. The one thing you can't change is the way something was tracked, but that's going to be true regardless of what capture method you use.

However, using the same DAW for every step is way easier and the project sizes remain way smaller.
    Kroneborge
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1300
    Re:Sonar X1 in a PT 9 world 2011/02/11 15:07:13 (permalink)
    A lot of bigger studios still mix in analog anyway, and just use pro tools as a big tape recorder.  

So if you had bounced all your stuff down to wav, it shouldn't be but a moment to load it in.

Use the program you like.

Mathew

Hip Hop
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1