FX sends

Author
Drummerboyle
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
2011/02/12 06:46:48 (permalink)

FX sends

This is probably  a dumb question but im not understanding why use fx send rather than putting the effect right in the the fx box in the track. What is the difference?

Soundcraft FX16ii, Creation Station 400, Multi M-Audio 1010lt, sonar X2

2 Replies Related Threads

giankap
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 387
    Re:FX sends 2011/02/12 07:02:05 (permalink)
    ok, I'll try to make it simple for you.

You have a track with 3 different vocals. One is your lead, two and three are backing vocals. Now if you insert a reverb effect in each of this tracks you are wasting CPU power but it will work. For most users that want to save their CPU, they can just route all those vocals in a BUS and insert the reverb there. The problem now is that all vocals will have the same reverb. If you want each vocal track to have its own amount of reverb but still save up some CPU then here is where fx send comes in. You create a bus where you insert the reverb and in this bus you set the wet output of the effect to 100%. Now when you use the fx send from the tracks to the BUS, you can actually choose the amount of reverb in each track individually but still you save your CPU power!!!

EDITS=spelling corrections
    post edited by giankap - 2011/02/12 07:03:53

sincerely,

Ioannis

Windows - some Dual Core CPU - a little bit of RAM - not so bad soundcard - i think it's called Sonar - a silver mixer with colorful knobs - black speaker monitors - my ears

some work
    Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:FX sends 2011/02/12 07:09:03 (permalink)
    In addition to what giankap posted there are other advantages. Let's say you have a vocal and you want the reverb you apply to it to have an effect, but not the vocal. You could insert a send to a bus with chorus and reverb in it so that the reverb was chorused. There are many scenarios where sends could come in handy.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1