I keep mixing the darn vocals too LOUD!!

Author
ChuckC
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1488
2011/02/12 19:42:19 (permalink)

I keep mixing the darn vocals too LOUD!!

I am finally starting to get the hang of getting a good mix, getting the instruments to be distinctive & yet gel together using eq & panning the stereo field...  I while I can't remember the name of the effect that causes it, I know what it is & it's bitting me in the arse on every mix lately!   Maybe it's a room mode (though it is all treated with Auralex products), or my monitors being deficient in certain frequencies & I am over compensating for it?  Maybe I just suck, but either way it's driving me crazy!!   arrrrrgggh!   I get the mix into my truck (or any other system) & it sounds good musically but the vocals keep ending up too far out front.

ADK Built DAW, W7, Sonar Platinum, Studio One Pro,Yamaha HS8's & HS8S  Presonus Studio/Live 24.4.2, A few decent mic pre's,  lots of mics, 57's,58 betas, Sm7b, LD Condensors, Small condensors, Senn 421's,  DI's,  Sans Amp, A few guitar amps etc. Guitars : Gib. LP, Epi. Lp, Dillion Tele, Ibanez beater, Ibanez Ergodyne 4 String bass, Mapex Mars series 6 pc. studio kit, cymbals and other sh*t.
http://www.everythingiam.net/
http://www.stormroomstudios.com
Some of my productions: http://soundcloud.com/stormroomstudios

21 Replies Related Threads

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:I keep mixing the darn vocals too LOUD!! 2011/02/12 19:45:58 (permalink)
    A common problem but easily solved. Vocal balances are best done thorugh a small Auratone type mono speaker down at low volume eg 70 db SPL or less. Then you will really hear how silly your vocal levels are.

Do this and drop them down so they sound balanced against the instruments in this mode and when you go back up to bigger speakers you will be amazed.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    ChuckC
    Re:I keep mixing the darn vocals too LOUD!! 2011/02/12 19:55:38 (permalink)
    Jeff,
       I must really need one of those damn Auratone speakers!   I am not at all doubting that every word you stated is correct so don't mistake me....  But I have read a number of your posts & I find them informative great.  But I am sure I have seen ya recommend those as a fix for everything from mono compatability to eq problems.   Will that speaker also keep sonar from crashing too?  That would be great!   How much are they? (roughly)

ADK Built DAW, W7, Sonar Platinum, Studio One Pro,Yamaha HS8's & HS8S  Presonus Studio/Live 24.4.2, A few decent mic pre's,  lots of mics, 57's,58 betas, Sm7b, LD Condensors, Small condensors, Senn 421's,  DI's,  Sans Amp, A few guitar amps etc. Guitars : Gib. LP, Epi. Lp, Dillion Tele, Ibanez beater, Ibanez Ergodyne 4 String bass, Mapex Mars series 6 pc. studio kit, cymbals and other sh*t.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:I keep mixing the darn vocals too LOUD!! 2011/02/12 20:09:52 (permalink)
    Most people do the opposite. But when you mix it down, write the level setting on the vox in a note book or something. Then after listening, if it's too loud... if you had it at -6db.... go ahead and pull the level down to -12 and try again..... adjust up or down as needed... keeping track of the numbers will help you zero in on the right level.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    ChuckC
    Re:I keep mixing the darn vocals too LOUD!! 2011/02/12 20:13:25 (permalink)
    We it doesn't suprise me that I would be Bass Ackwords from the norm!

Jeff Evans
    Re:I keep mixing the darn vocals too LOUD!! 2011/02/12 21:52:32 (permalink)
    I think a small speaker is great for solving many mix issues not just vocal levels. This is the type of thing I am thinking:

http://www.avantelectroni.../AVANTONE_mixcubes.htm

You can get away with one and if you have a spare poweramp lying around you can get the cheaper passive model for about $240 or so. But the actives solve the amp requirements.
    If you use one only you just have to passively sum L and R signals for the mono input signal. I do it from a spare headphone out on my Yamaha digital mixer.

The speaker reveals a lot as far as I am concerned. What I like to call the critical mix. It's good when you have got many things you are trying to balance. It helps you get them all in perspective. Snares and vocals will leap out if they are out of balance. Great for getting bass levels right too, Just enough gain to hear rhe bass line and you arer awa. of course listening on your mains up loud will reveal kick and reverbs and a ferw other things. But it is always nice opnce you get the small speaker sounding good, your mix up loud on your regular speakers will just sound excellent, everything in its place almost.

When I am sitting in front of the small mono speaker I pretend I am standing outside the door of a gig and I am hearing the music from on stage playing etc. or listening to them from down the hall.

Use you main monitors to listen to great commercial mixes and you will get to know how your main speakers sound with a good mix.  And use the small speaker as a second backup ie completely different monitoring mode. Put the two together and you can get mixes that translate very well over heaps of different playback systems.

I am mixing a very acoustic thing right now with two acoustic guitars, voice, very simple acoustic bass and a string quartet. The small speaker gets the guitars and bass sitting nicely and gets the vocals nicely eased into that. Then the rest is easy with the strings. The small speaker keeps the lead violins down to where they should be etc.. same as the vocals etc.. I even walk around the room and go outside and linger around listening to the small speaker from afar. It shows up a few things too.  But it's also great to sit 6 inches from it at low volume and hear all the detail in there.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    giankap
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 387
    Re:I keep mixing the darn vocals too LOUD!! 2011/02/12 22:27:24 (permalink)
    it's not about the size of monitors. i believe that thos little guys can help in some level, but to generelize is also a bad thing to do.

I'd suggest always checking you mixes using the mono button on your master bus. if it sounds good in mono it will sound good in stereo. don't forget that many car audio systems are specially build in order to narrow the stereo field, in order for no matter where you sit, you'll always listen well. if your room is acousticall treated as you said it is, and if your monitors are decent, then try to double check your mix in mono!

sincerely,

Ioannis

Windows - some Dual Core CPU - a little bit of RAM - not so bad soundcard - i think it's called Sonar - a silver mixer with colorful knobs - black speaker monitors - my ears

some work
    ChuckC
    Re:I keep mixing the darn vocals too LOUD!! 2011/02/13 09:02:48 (permalink)
    I have done this before, though I don't ' think I did it last prior to mixdown & may have changed the levels since my last mono check (not as in the disease... as in not stereo) lol.   I will make a conscious effort to do so.

feedback50
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    Re:I keep mixing the darn vocals too LOUD!! 2011/02/13 21:14:05 (permalink)
    I often take the playback so low that I can just barely hear it. I listen to see if the vocal and snare are the last things to disappear.  Bringing the fader up slowly, I start to hear the other instruments appear. Using this method to compare my mix to other mixes can reveal balance issues. Sometimes I find it necessary to subtlety ride the vocal on each phrase while mixing, bringing up guitar fills between phrases. One analogy is to use your mix like a spotlight. Guide the listener’s attention to each important detail. On some of my most problematic mixes, I’ve gone so far as to send all busses except the vocal bus to its own bus feeding the main output. This way I can adjust all the backing tracks as needed via one fader, if they start to overtake the vocal.
    Jeff Evans
    Re:I keep mixing the darn vocals too LOUD!! 2011/02/13 21:36:46 (permalink)
    Listening to music on a small speaker like the Avantones and at low volume is like forcing your music through a narrow bottleneck and making sure you can still hear everything OK.

One good point that feedback50 has brought up is that if for any reason a track eg vocal or lead instrument is wandering a little level wise, you wont hear that too much up loud because even when the signal drops a bit you can still hear it OK. But on a small speaker down at low volume any slight variation in level eg 2 or 3 db down will make it disappear so the level variation problem stands out more so.

Another good trick is to have some sort of soft fan or aircon noise sound going on in the background all the time while you mix either on large or small speakers. That stops you from letting things drop down too low. You can feed pink noise into your mix buss at low level while you mix too. This has been done as well. Take it out before you print obviously! I like the fan approach. By just adding a little external noise it means you don't allow things to drop below a certain threshold.

giankap
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 387
    Re:I keep mixing the darn vocals too LOUD!! 2011/02/13 21:37:41 (permalink)
    I often take the playback so low that I can just barely hear it. I listen to see if the vocal and snare are the last things to disappear. Bringing the fader up slowly, I start to hear the other instruments appear. Using this method to compare my mix to other mixes can reveal balance issues. Sometimes I find it necessary to subtlety ride the vocal on each phrase while mixing, bringing up guitar fills between phrases. One analogy is to use your mix like a spotlight. Guide the listener’s attention to each important detail. On some of my most problematic mixes, I’ve gone so far as to send all busses except the vocal bus to its own bus feeding the main output. This way I can adjust all the backing tracks as needed via one fader, if they start to overtake the vocal.

useful method. I've never tried it myself but i'll sure do in the future.

sincerely,

Ioannis

Windows - some Dual Core CPU - a little bit of RAM - not so bad soundcard - i think it's called Sonar - a silver mixer with colorful knobs - black speaker monitors - my ears

some work
    ChuckC
    Re:I keep mixing the darn vocals too LOUD!! 2011/02/14 16:13:21 (permalink)
    This ay sound like be a dumb question....  but if I were to run my master bus in mono, & turn off one of my current monitors  so I a listening to a mono mix on one 5 inch speaker (& the tweater) would thi accomplish similar results?   Just a thought..  I'd like a 2nd set of drastically different monitors that color the sound differently, maybe the yamaha HS series (I remember the 80's sounded nice & full, but the 50's sounded harsh in the highs & upper mids) to cross refference my mixes.  When I have the money I'd rather buy another set, rather than a single speaker.

Jeff Evans
    Re:I keep mixing the darn vocals too LOUD!! 2011/02/14 17:01:08 (permalink)
    I think you should leave your main mix in stereo and listen to it that way and sum to mono for the purposes of driving a single small speaker. Switching to mono and only listening on one speaker is not the same thing.

This is only my opinion of course but I believe a single mono speaker such as the Avantone will offer much more than a second pair of monitors. It takes you to whole different place monitoring wise and really shows up things no normal monitors can do. I used to have Yamaha NS10's here as well as my main Mackie HR824's and yes they were handy but nothing like switching to the small speaker though.

You could have three or four sets of main near fields and they will all tell you much the same thing but none of them is the same as listening through the mono small speaker. I honestly could not mix without it. I spend hours on it and only listen up on the main speakers here and there for some bass and reverb reality checks.

If you want to improve your mixes especially setting lead and vocal sounds the little speaker is the way to go.

But the next best thing is simply turn your main speakers down quite low (70 db SPL and under eg 65 db SPL) and listen to your mixes that way. That is also very revealing. Also stand away from your monitors while you are doing this too. eg across the room. You will hear all sorts of imbalances. This won't cost you anything!

steve@psbnoe.wanadoo
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 256
    Re:I keep mixing the darn vocals too LOUD!! 2011/02/15 06:20:05 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans

I think you should leave your main mix in stereo and listen to it that way and sum to mono for the purposes of driving a single small speaker. Switching to mono and only listening on one speaker is not the same thing.

This is only my opinion of course but I believe a single mono speaker such as the Avantone will offer much more than a second pair of monitors. It takes you to whole different place monitoring wise and really shows up things no normal monitors can do. I used to have Yamaha NS10's here as well as my main Mackie HR824's and yes they were handy but nothing like switching to the small speaker though.

You could have three or four sets of main near fields and they will all tell you much the same thing but none of them is the same as listening through the mono small speaker. I honestly could not mix without it. I spend hours on it and only listen up on the main speakers here and there for some bass and reverb reality checks.

If you want to improve your mixes especially setting lead and vocal sounds the little speaker is the way to go.

But the next best thing is simply turn your main speakers down quite low (70 db SPL and under eg 65 db SPL) and listen to your mixes that way. That is also very revealing. Also stand away from your monitors while you are doing this too. eg across the room. You will hear all sorts of imbalances. This won't cost you anything!

Hi Jeff, it may seem like a daft question but exactly how do you sum to mono, is it simply connecting both stereo outs to one speaker?

Cheers
    Steve.

I was faced with a choice at a difficult age
    Would I write a book? Or should I take to the stage?
    But in the back of my head I heard distant feet
    Che Guevara and Debussy to a disco beat
    Jeff Evans
    Re:I keep mixing the darn vocals too LOUD!! 2011/02/15 06:58:15 (permalink)
    Hi Steve definately do not connect the outputs of a stereo amp into one speaker. The output impedance of one amplifer will act as a short circuit on the other and will probably cause damage.

You need to get the stereo signal at line level and preferably a spare set of outputs or as in my case I use a spare headphone output on a digital mixing console. You need a different output so you can easily turn down your main speakers and turn up your mono speaker somehow. Headphone outs are good because they have a fair bit of gain behind them, they are low impedance and they often have some sort of separate volume control associated with them.

I have got a little passive Tascam mixer which sums two inputs but looses a little gain. Or with a headphone output you could feed the left and right hot outputs through say 1 K resistors and join the other side of them to form your mono signal. The resistors will isolate the outputs and sum as well. Any loss of gain can easily be made up in the power amp following.

You could also use a simple active mixer that you might have lying around and just feed the stereo signal into two line inputs and pan them centre and use either output to feed your amp for the speaker.

If you are using a passive mono speaker then you will need a small power amp to drive it. I have got a 300 watt poweramp driving mine which is very excessive but I never turn it up very far. It is overkill but does have a lot of headroom.  A simple 20 watt or so amp would suffice. If you use the Active Avantone then you don't need the power amp of course.

Some mixers provide a mono switch somewhere and you could use that and either the left or right of a spare output. You just have to make sure you use the mono switch when you do. But I prefer summing because then its one less thing you have to think about. By just turning up the headphone out and it is summed then it is automatically in mono. You could easily fit two small resistors inside a stereo plug and do the summing directly inside the plug. If you need musicians on phones then you can just pull out the summing plug and put the headphones back in. It's not often you need these two things at once.

Hope that helps.

Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:I keep mixing the darn vocals too LOUD!! 2011/02/15 07:07:47 (permalink)
    Hi Jeff..

I can easily route spare outputs from Sonar into my analog desk.

Would it suffice to pan both of these centrally to generate a mono signal?

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    steve@psbnoe.wanadoo
    Re:I keep mixing the darn vocals too LOUD!! 2011/02/15 08:04:11 (permalink)
    Thanks for your great advice Jeff.
    I'm waiting for delivery of the Samson C Control, http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1650

It has a mono button on which it says is for testing mono compatibility, would this do the same job?

Cheers
    Steve.

LJB
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1502
    Re:I keep mixing the darn vocals too LOUD!! 2011/02/15 08:41:34 (permalink)
    One can of course simply do this:

Set your master bus in Sonar to Mono, and then Pan the master bus to either left or right. You'll get the entire mix coming out of one monitor.

Ludwig Bouwer, One Big Room Studios.
    --------------------
    Cakewalk
    with all the trimmings / Win 10Pro 64 / Intel i7-7700 / Asus Prime Z270k / 16GB DDR4 / RME HDSP9652 / RME UFX / Black Lion Audio ADA8000 / ART MPA & ART Pro Channel / Focusrite Voicemaster Pro / Aphex 107

Check out my work at www.onebigroom.co.za

steve@psbnoe.wanadoo
    Re:I keep mixing the darn vocals too LOUD!! 2011/02/15 09:00:02 (permalink)
    LJB

One can of course simply do this:

Set your master bus in Sonar to Mono, and then Pan the master bus to either left or right. You'll get the entire mix coming out of one monitor.

Cheers, this is what i've been doing before and it seems to work fine.
    Which makes me wonder if Jeffs way is better for some reason?

Cheers
    Steve.

ChuckC
    Re:I keep mixing the darn vocals too LOUD!! 2011/02/15 17:14:01 (permalink)
    I did the same last night & it did help me lock down the levels much better.   Sounded nicer & much more balanced wen I brought the other monitor back in & went back to stereo.   Maybe someday I will get the avantones, but I think this is a good enough work around for now.
    THANKS JEFF!!

Jeff Evans
    Re:I keep mixing the darn vocals too LOUD!! 2011/02/15 17:20:20 (permalink)
    Hi ChuckC that is great. I can see this is a good workaround for sure. What is important is checking mixes at quite a low volume. It can be very revealing when you do this. Because any imbalances will generally stand out much more so at low levels.

ChuckC
    Re:I keep mixing the darn vocals too LOUD!! 2011/02/15 17:27:14 (permalink)
    Got it!   Yeah was listening in mono at as low a volume as I could....  ya know like so many life long musicians, I am goin' friggen deaf!   Damn snare drums are brutal on the ears!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1