Rough mix

Author
acoustigod
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 104
2011/02/13 13:45:50 (permalink)

Rough mix

Here's a rough mix of a song I'm doing. Something is wrong with my headphones, so I have to get some new ones. I can't check the stereo image as well as I usually would.

http://soundcloud.com/fec...erguide/blue-matches-x

Need a song, demo or album mixed to sound great? Why waste weeks or months learning how to mix when I'm sure you'd rather spend your time writing songs and performing gigs? I can mix your tracks so that they sound fantastic. My rates are very affordable. Send me a PM to find out more.

8 Replies Related Threads

mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Rough mix 2011/02/14 08:30:46 (permalink)
    nice tune initially, but the middle is completely out of whack with the first part of the tune! almost like you have shoehorned 3 different tracks together here! i mean i like to add different dynamics in my stuff, but not as 180 degrees as this!
    mix as currently is is nicely spaced and balanced, but i feel it's too toppy at the mo, can't really feel the bass, and there's almost a hole in the low-mids. Of course, i don't know what else is to be added, and i'm guessing you have a lot of mix and master plugs to slap on.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Rough mix 2011/02/14 08:42:49 (permalink)
    I agree ...the middle is totally out of character with the song.... around 1:40 several vocals are in it and they are not together. Sounds very amateurish the way they are all singing something different right there. It sounds like the same singer just different takes not in sync.

I'd cut the middle thrash and loose every vocal except the main singer.... adding harmonies would be OK but be sure they're singing in a coordinated manner.

Just my 2 cents worth.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    acoustigod
    Re:Rough mix 2011/02/14 10:24:14 (permalink)
    Thanks for the comments.

I didn't record/arrange the song - I'm just mixing.

Yeah, I have to raise the volume and compress/limit/eq the side instruments a lot more. I can't at the moment because I am getting blue screens of death every time I open the file :( Otherwise, these things would have already been fixed :(((

I am getting a new computer tomorrow and I'm going to reinstall everything. I made a post about my computer going slower and slower and I thought maybe it was because I was running too many plugins. Nope. Turns out, my ram/harddrive have slowly been dying this week. Now I get blue screens every time I do anything sophisticated. Makes mixing kind of hard :(

Need a song, demo or album mixed to sound great? Why waste weeks or months learning how to mix when I'm sure you'd rather spend your time writing songs and performing gigs? I can mix your tracks so that they sound fantastic. My rates are very affordable. Send me a PM to find out more.
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Rough mix 2011/02/14 16:51:05 (permalink)
    The majority of the song is good, but man, they must have had a crack dream when they came up with that middle part.

String Jammer
    ruralrocker2010
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 616
    Re:Rough mix 2011/02/14 16:55:20 (permalink)
    I see what I think they are "trying" to do. But they are missing the tight drummer who can make slow grooves become a psychadelic punk thrash....so they just do a **** and then start fast....

Mix seems find to me, but I would definitely counsel them to drop the vocal over-dubs. They are just bad.

Joshua Barnes
    Sonar Platinum / RME UCX / i5 3.2 8 GB Memory (Dell Inspiron) / Komplete 10 / Win 7 Home 64 Bit
    rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Rough mix 2011/02/14 17:01:08 (permalink)
    Sounds sweeter than the girl in the middle in my icon...

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    acoustigod
    Re:Rough mix 2011/02/22 06:36:02 (permalink)
    Now that I have new monitors, I finally got a chance to make all the changes I wanted to make. The link at the top of the page goes to the newer version.

giankap
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 387
    Re:Rough mix 2011/02/22 08:33:37 (permalink)
    It's alternative music guys! Wo says that in music everything must follow the rules? I'm no fun of the middle part either but I can show you thousands of tunes with "out of the blue" parts like that!

Nice mix Ken. I just listened to the newer version so I don't know how the old one sounded.

sincerely,

Ioannis

Windows - some Dual Core CPU - a little bit of RAM - not so bad soundcard - i think it's called Sonar - a silver mixer with colorful knobs - black speaker monitors - my ears

some work
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1