Need advice on hard drive use

Author
barrychap
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2011/02/13 20:26:46 (permalink)

Need advice on hard drive use

I am building a quiet PC (around 26 Db) to run Sonar X1, with the following config:

Asus P7P55D Mobo (needed to run two Delta 1010s via PCI), 6GB RAM
Intel i7-860 CPU, Zalman cooler, Coolermaster Sileo 500 case, Seasonic X-750 PS
Asus EAH 5770 graphics, Pioneer DVR-710 DVD-RW, SB X-FI, 9 Db case fans
2 Delta 1010 audio cards (20 in, 20 out)

I have three drives:
1. WD VelociRaptor 10000 RPM 320 GB for Windows 7 Pro OS
2. Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 1 TB
3. OCZ RevoDrive 120 GB SSD (PCIe interface, 540 MBps, 75000 IOPS)

I have installed the Win 7 64 bit OS on the WD.
I was planning to use the Seagate for data storage and samples.
I was planning to use the OCZ SSD for installing the Sonar X1 program and use it to record tracks.

Any suggestions on whether this is the best use of my drives, and other ways of splitting up OS, samples, programs, data?

Thanks!

23 Replies Related Threads

Thornbird
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re:Need advice on hard drive use 2011/02/13 20:40:10 (permalink)
    I am also building a PC just for Sonar, but I am doing almost the opposite!  I am using the SSD for the operating system and all root program files (Windows), a WD 500 GB HDD for Sonar X1, all application files, permanent audio folders, and all engines for VST and DXI instruments.  Then I am going to set up the WD 1TB HDD for libraries, soundbanks, and temporary audio folders.

craigb
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re:Need advice on hard drive use 2011/02/14 04:14:49 (permalink)
    I'm curious to hear Scott from ADK chime in, but I'm thinking closer to what Thornbird is doing with small changes.  Since the SSD is dead quiet, as fast as possible and doesn't need to be defragmented, I would have that as my OS drive (for fast boot up and program launching), but I would also have my temporary files there (unless these were too big for the drive).

In my case, I'd consider two 1 TB drives or two 2 TB drives RAID'ed for safety for all of my work files, libraries and samples.

At least that's the current idea.  If I had the same two other drives as barrychap, I'd use the smaller for my work files and put the libraries and samples on the larger.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    Thornbird
    Re:Need advice on hard drive use 2011/02/14 20:28:29 (permalink)
    Craig, I might lean toward your set-up configuration except that the SSD is only 80 GB.  The one concern I have about the SSD is that I am a relentless de-fragger.  I don't know how I am going to contain myself!  Right now, I am waiting on Intel to fix the SATA chip problem on my motherboard (Sandy Bridge).  I will have to let you know how it works out after I get this new system up and running.  I am also going to be testing a multiple input configuration (a pen/tablet for editing, and a touch pad w/slow tracking for Console View.  Let me know what you think!

Tom

craigb
    Re:Need advice on hard drive use 2011/02/15 00:13:13 (permalink)
    Haha!  I'm so glad you mentioned about the pen/tablet!  I've been needing one to use with PhotoShop for our startup business, but forgot to add it to my IT budget - thanks for the reminder!

Looks like the money I'll need for all new computers won't be coming in for at least three months (thanks to renegotiating a project and having to front-load the cost of other things)...  Guess that helps me wait for the return of Sandy Bridge anyway (or whatever I hear is coming later in the year?).

Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Need advice on hard drive use 2011/02/15 07:12:48 (permalink)
    Thornbird

Craig, I might lean toward your set-up configuration except that the SSD is only 80 GB.  The one concern I have about the SSD is that I am a relentless de-fragger.  I don't know how I am going to contain myself!  Right now, I am waiting on Intel to fix the SATA chip problem on my motherboard (Sandy Bridge).  I will have to let you know how it works out after I get this new system up and running.  I am also going to be testing a multiple input configuration (a pen/tablet for editing, and a touch pad w/slow tracking for Console View.  Let me know what you think!

Tom

Tom, it's interesting that you want to install the OS on the bigger drive because you feel that the SSD is too small, yet you want to use it for your Cakewalk projects?

In my opinion, you'll fill that SSD up pretty darned quick if your projects are anything like mine.

You'll be much better off using the SSD for the OS ( remember, you don't have to install any of the Cake libraries there (Dim Pro etc), you get the option to specify where they go).

Just my thoughts.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Need advice on hard drive use 2011/02/15 08:20:39 (permalink)
    I have that very same Asus P7P55D Mobo in my new build. I like it.

My question is on the SSD (solid state drives)...... I seem to recall hearing that these are not recommended for music application like we use. Something about the data transfer speeds.... or something.... I can't recall the specifics just that there is a question about how efficient they are in  DAW. Maybe they would work well as a back up/storage drive, but not as the main drive where you keep your software and projects that need to stream. 

I have avoided SSD's in favor of the 7200rpm hard drives.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Re:Need advice on hard drive use 2011/02/15 10:59:04 (permalink)
    +1 Herb

SSD's were simply made for Operating Systems to run on.

As of today, the price/size ratio isn't conducive for using them as your main audio drive, or streaming samples.

All IMHO of course

Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    craigb
    Re:Need advice on hard drive use 2011/02/15 12:22:43 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey

Thornbird

Tom

Tom, it's interesting that you want to install the OS on the bigger drive because you feel that the SSD is too small, yet you want to use it for your Cakewalk projects?

In my opinion, you'll fill that SSD up pretty darned quick if your projects are anything like mine.

You'll be much better off using the SSD for the OS ( remember, you don't have to install any of the Cake libraries there (Dim Pro etc), you get the option to specify where they go).

Just my thoughts.

Actually, it's barrychap that wanted to do that.  Tom (and myself) want the OS on the SSD.

n0rd
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 237
    Re:Need advice on hard drive use 2011/02/15 13:18:47 (permalink)
    SSD for OS, Sonar & VST (.dlls) for sure...

@Guitarhacker: The only thing stopping you using an SSD for music / video production is their size (thus cost). They are out perform mechanical drives in every way.

Thornbird
    Re:Need advice on hard drive use 2011/02/15 19:12:08 (permalink)

...... I seem to recall hearing that these are not recommended for music application like we use. Something about the data transfer speeds.... or something..... 

I think what you are thinking of is what is referred to as the "SATA bottle neck". The transfer rates on the SATA II ports (3gb/s) are less than the SSD.  That is why I went for the Intel Sandy Bridge (before the recall).  It has 2 SATA III ports at 6gb/s.  They can keep up with the SSD data rate.

Tom  

Thornbird
    Re:Need advice on hard drive use 2011/02/15 19:21:48 (permalink)

I think it was Craig that mentioned the OS on the other drive.   I mentioned the 1TB drive for temporary audio folders because of their size.  Once a project is finalized, and the audio has been pared down I suggested putting the permanent audio folders on the 500GB drive.  Still, the OS and the Sonar root directories are the only thing on the 80GB SSD.  I have to stop now, I'm confusing myself!

Tom 

n0rd
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 237
    Re:Need advice on hard drive use 2011/02/15 20:21:23 (permalink)
    Thornbird

I think what you are thinking of is what is referred to as the "SATA bottle neck". The transfer rates on the SATA II ports (3gb/s) are less than the SSD.  That is why I went for the Intel Sandy Bridge (before the recall).  It has 2 SATA III ports at 6gb/s.  They can keep up with the SSD data rate.

You can only make use of SATA3 if the SSD is capable of SATA3 as well. (Only Crucial Real SSD is SATA3 that I know of - more will soon come).

SATA2 SSDs will not bottle neck the bus unless you RAID them.

Thornbird
    Re:Need advice on hard drive use 2011/02/15 20:31:28 (permalink)

... (Only Crucial Real SSD is SATA3 that I know of - more will soon come).

The reason I settled on Intel's Sandy Bridge (1155) was for that very reason.  I'm 90% sure it is SATA III ready.  You'll have to slap me if I am wrong!

Tom

Thornbird
    Re:Need advice on hard drive use 2011/02/15 21:37:56 (permalink)
    Sorry n0rd, ignore my last post.  We were talking about the SSD, not the motherboard.  I guess I'm so upset about the Sandy Bridge recall (because of the SATA port problem) that it's all I can think about when the subject comes up!  I'll talk to you soon.

Tom

Bristol_Jonesey
    Re:Need advice on hard drive use 2011/02/16 04:59:03 (permalink)
    Sorry for the confusion, of course, it was barrychap that wanted to use the SSD in that way.

Thornbird
    Re:Need advice on hard drive use 2011/02/16 08:45:10 (permalink)

Sorry for the confusion, of course, it was barrychap that wanted to use the SSD in that way.

You're right B_J, I kinda got away from the original question!  As you can see, I am new to this whole thing.  I will get the hang of it with time.......Maybe!

Tom

DeeringAmps
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2614
    Re:Need advice on hard drive use 2011/02/16 09:10:01 (permalink)
    Do it like this:
    1.  OS/Apps (SSD if that's your fancy) this includes your vst's (the program, not the samples)
    2.  Audio
    3.  Samples
    4.  Studio data / Sonar picture cache
    5.  Storage;  this could be an external drive

4 drives will be handling "tasks" during any given session. 3 really, if you're not using "streaming" vst's

Tom

post edited by DeeringAmps - 2011/02/16 09:11:50

Tom Deering
    Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
    Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
    StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
    Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
    craigb
    Re:Need advice on hard drive use 2011/02/16 15:29:35 (permalink)
    I like the "point to point" wiring of Deering's drive solution.

kamrald
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re:Need advice on hard drive use 2011/02/18 02:38:10 (permalink)
    Hard drives can fail at any time. There is no guarantee they will not fail in a week, month, year or five years. The best thing you can do is get one with a long warranty. Some drives come with one year warranty, some with three and some even five. All pre-assembled external drives I've seen come with a year.If length of the warranty is important to you, I recommend you have an external enclosure and a hard drive sold separately. This way, you can select the disk that has a security that satisfies you.
    kamrald
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re:Need advice on hard drive use 2011/02/18 02:39:42 (permalink)
    Hard drives can fail at any time. There is no guarantee they will not fail in a week, month, year or five years. The best thing you can do is get one with a long warranty. Some drives come with one year warranty, some with three and some even five. All pre-assembled external drives I've seen come with a year.If length of the warranty is important to you, I recommend you have an external enclosure and a hard drive sold separately. This way, you can select the disk that has a security that satisfies you.
    barrychap
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Need advice on hard drive use 2011/02/23 21:29:25 (permalink)
    Thanks for all of your replies. I have decided to go with my original plan for the drive assignments. Here are the reasons:

1. OS Drive: This drive will be doing a lot of read/write for bootup, logging, loading, and saving application data. It needs to be fast, so I decided to use a 10,000 RPM drive in a smaller size. This VelociRaptor drive has great performance and only needs to hold the OS and a few applications, so 320 GB is plenty of room. The drive runs hot so it has a heat sink. It is also loud due to structure-borne vibrations, so I will suspend it using a special drive bay with O-ring suspension to get the noise within limits.

2. Data Storage Drive: This drive will be used to store files and some large applications. I decided to use a 7,200 RPM drive with 1 Terabyte size. This drive should easily hold all of my projects and files.

3. Production Drive: This drive will be used to hold the Sonar X1 application and current project files that I will be using. I decided to use an SSD with 120 GB to provide the best performance while recording or mixing. The OCZ SSD is a special SSD that plugs into the PCI-e slot on the PC to avoid the SATA bottleneck of 3Gb/sec. The PCI-e slot allows the SSD to operate in a RAID configuration (within the drive). It has a special controller that overcomes the problems with write speed (writing to 512 KB blocks). The result is a very fast read/write of 540 MB/sec (impossible to get with SATA) and 75,000 IOPS (I/O operations per second). I will be capturing 24 bit/96KHz audio in 16 simultaneous channels and writing to disk, so I will need all of the write speed I can get. The fast read speed will let me mix more tracks.

All of the 1st generation SSDs had horrible write speeds, which made them unsuitable for audio recording. The Windows 7 TRIM command helped with that, along with newer controllers and internal RAID configurations. The 2nd generation SSDs are much better. Be careful of bargain SSDs; they may be the older 1st gen models.

Why did I not use the SSD for the OS Drive? Because SSDs use Flash memory which has a service life of around 10,000 write cycles. This is why most SSDs have a write management system that spreads the write operation around the memory cells to maximize service life. The OS usually is writing to logs and other files a lot and that would shorten the drive life.

Again, thanks for the replies, and I welcome any comments on my thinking above. I would like to hear from Cakewalk on what they think of this setup and the best place for sample files.

kendricknds
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Need advice on hard drive use 2011/04/04 03:55:57 (permalink)
    Hard drives can abort at any time. There is no agreement they will not abort in a week, month, year or 5 years. The best affair you can do is get one with a continued warranty. Some drives appear with one year warranty, some with three and some even five. All pre-assembled alien drives I've apparent appear with a year.If breadth of the assurance is important to you, I acclaim you accept an alien asylum and a harder drive awash separately. This way, you can baddest the deejay that has a aegis that satisfies you.
    pcworld
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:Need advice on hard drive use 2011/04/10 07:55:38 (permalink)
    its seems like  pretty cool at all.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1