woman at the door

Author
giankap
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 387
2011/02/15 09:14:52 (permalink)

woman at the door

so guys what do you think? I have to re-record the vocals beacuse I've recorded with a dynamic mic with this black wind-shield on it, but I'm so lazy lately. So just some thoughts before I re-edit this track?

http://soundcloud.com/ioa...stis/woman-at-the-door

sincerely,

Ioannis

Windows - some Dual Core CPU - a little bit of RAM - not so bad soundcard - i think it's called Sonar - a silver mixer with colorful knobs - black speaker monitors - my ears

some work

19 Replies Related Threads

rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:woman at the door 2011/02/15 09:22:50 (permalink)
    smooth!

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:woman at the door 2011/02/15 09:37:22 (permalink)
    This is great I think. However, the sonic quality is so bad it's hard to listen to.
    I'm guessing it's the Soundcloud resampling that did it. Not sure. I listen on a laptop.
    See what others have to say cause maybe it's just my tired old ears.
    I don't hear a problem with the vocal though.

The metronome sounding  'stick'  is really obnoxious.
    And, there is a piercing female or octavized voc near the end that is really piercy.

All that said, I really like the song. Something I thought of was to use the idea of 'push, pull, open, close' (lyrically) when speaking of the "door". just a thought.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

giankap
    Re:woman at the door 2011/02/15 09:43:37 (permalink)
    All that said, I really like the song. Something I thought of was to use the idea of 'push, pull, open, close' (lyrically) when speaking of the "door". just a thought.

that's a great idea, i was discussing it with a friend of mine the other day (something similar), but i would like first to have a decent vocal recording. because the vocals now have a lot of proccessing in order to come around. I want to have a very clear and "close to the mic" vocal first and then experiment a little bit.

sincerely,

Ioannis

Windows - some Dual Core CPU - a little bit of RAM - not so bad soundcard - i think it's called Sonar - a silver mixer with colorful knobs - black speaker monitors - my ears

some work
    morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:woman at the door 2011/02/15 13:08:03 (permalink)
    Hi Ioannis, nice song, well sung. Just thought the guitar solo could be a bit more up tempo, maybe some short burst of fast notes followed by a long one, just an idea.

Greetings, Rik
    giankap
    Re:woman at the door 2011/02/15 20:08:38 (permalink)
    i had a total different solo when i first made the song. it was more live but IMO it killed the mood i wanted for the whole track. I'm generally big fan of Portishead kind of guitars. not a lot of notes, just the ones that count!

sincerely,

Ioannis

some work
    markno999
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1450
    Re:woman at the door 2011/02/15 20:34:29 (permalink)
    Ioannis,

What a great song.   Sounds to me like a song from a James Bond or Tarantino movie.   Very interesting progression, it really pulls you in.    The only suggestion I would even venture out with is the guitar solo patch.   The solo itself is good but it seems like the distortion seems out of context with the rest of the song.   I would use that nice clean sound you use at the intro for solo part.  Like The Last Race by Jack Nitzche guitar sound.  The organ solo is cool.   Really outstanding work.  Love it..

Regards

post edited by markno999 - 2011/02/15 20:36:33
    giankap
    Re:woman at the door 2011/02/15 20:41:30 (permalink)
    thanks a lot Mark. I'll consider your tip. i'm using this guitar sound to add a little dirt, i was not thinking so much in a context of the sound, but more with relation with the lyrics. the dirty guitar represents the despair of the woman and the cold distance between her lover. Maybe a silly idea. Plus, I'm a big fan of fuzz/spaghetti guitars!

sincerely,

Ioannis

some work
    markno999
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1450
    Re:woman at the door 2011/02/16 11:35:09 (permalink)
    Ioannis,

Perhaps I misspoke with the "nice, clean, guitar sound" comment above.   To me, nice and clean in the context of a song like this, would still be a little dirty.    I think you are absolutely right about the correlation you made about the link between distortion and despair (I get it). What I should have said was a little less distortion on the current solo.  I think it needs some to to be a little more than the distortion tone at the beginning, but a little less than where it is.  Ventures sound with and attitude or like that song I mentioned from Deathproof, the movie, "The Last Race" by Jack Nitscke.   Just my opinion so feel free to throw it out.  It is actually a fairly trivial thing as the song is quite riveting as is.

Perhaps that greatest compliment I could give you is that when I was listening to your song my wife came by my office and asked what it was.   This is the woman that runs away and hides whenever I go near my office because she knows I will ask her to come listen to something.   Well, in her defense, I suppose that gets old after 23 years.  
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:woman at the door 2011/02/16 12:12:44 (permalink)
    Nice playing, and good vibe. I also did not like that metronomic percussion sound. You sing well and confidently.
    I would go a bit farther with the tremelo. Either do it or don't do it, since this sounds kinda halfway.
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:woman at the door 2011/02/16 13:46:58 (permalink)
    I found this quite pleasant to listen to.

If I was to offer any observations, I agree the click is wrong but..., and I found the ride a little unfocused perhaps a little to much verb just my subjective opinion.

Nice, thanks for sharing.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    malcolmb
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 713
    Re:woman at the door 2011/02/16 14:52:47 (permalink)
    I really like this song. The lyrics and music work together perfectly and at least to my ears, the mix works fine (OK, my ears have not been the same since I watched Cream and Pink Floyd live!). I am not sure I would have picked that instrument for the solo but it does work and suits the mood exactly - so no doubt your judgement is much better than mine!

Best Regards
    Malcolm

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory
    GPO, VSL, Music Lab Real Guitar/LPC, EWQLSC, Vocaloid Miriam/Avanna 
    Soundcard - Marian Marc 4 Midi

www.soundclick.com/malcolmbrown
    www.soundclick.com/lylemusic
    www.youtube.com/user/LyleMusic
    ruralrocker2010
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 616
    Re:woman at the door 2011/02/16 15:50:47 (permalink)
    I liked it. It started slow for me, but ultimately ended pleasantly. The harmony is just a tad too close. If you're going to use it, I suggest making it barely audible, just barely. Since it's so high in pitch, people will hear it, but they likely won't be able to pick it out of the mix, which is what I think you were going for anyways.

Good work.

Joshua Barnes
    Sonar Platinum / RME UCX / i5 3.2 8 GB Memory (Dell Inspiron) / Komplete 10 / Win 7 Home 64 Bit
    giankap
    Re:woman at the door 2011/02/16 18:24:01 (permalink)
    thanks a lot guys for your nice words. I'm already experimenting with some changes.

the 1st one which was inevitable would be the drums. I'm also annoyed by the drums but it was a result of me being lazy. I've made the patterns using session drummer with one stereo output  because it's very CPU light, with the thought that i'll actually use superrior drummer with multiple outputs. But I was lazy and tired so I just mixed fast and left it this way. The snare side stick of session drummer is terrible.

now I'll see about the guitars later. one step at a time.

sincerely,

Ioannis

some work
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:woman at the door 2011/02/16 18:37:31 (permalink)
    very much enjoyed the tune...I think the B3 was a bit up front...but I really enjoyed the tune. Loved the vox both front and rear...very nice job putting that together...love the lil "i need you" repeating in the rear b4 the lead...I like weird lil leads too...I'd try to tame the edgyness to this one...use the saem efx but deepen the tone a tad as it kinda rakes on the nerves and was a tade distracting to the nice dark/warm mood...keep the weirdness....but tame the beast so to speak.

Great job...loved it
    BIABDude
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 676
    Re:woman at the door 2011/02/16 19:12:41 (permalink)
    song and performance + + +  1

suggestions - - - bass drum thump kills the song
    rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:woman at the door 2011/02/16 19:33:15 (permalink)
    Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to soundcloud.com Suggestions:
  • Try reloading: soundcloud.­com/­ioanniskapnistis­/­woman-­at-­the-­door
  • Search on Google:

• http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    Re:woman at the door 2011/02/16 19:34:18 (permalink)
    Hey Ioannis
    EXCELLENT tune! Love the arrangement of the guitar riffs. The hollow body guitar tone is perfect for the vibe of this tune.  But,what really makes the song for me are the vocals. Your delivery and  harmonies are killer. Just the right amount of effects used and they are sitting perfect in the mix on my end.  I have to agree with others on the bass drum thump. I would give it a deeper thud sound and lower it in the mix. I also didn't care for the B3 solo.   I would lose it and stick with that crunchy guitar solo only. You have a great style/nitch that fits your vox/performance and is original. From the very first guitar riff to the catchy hook this song had me going back for a second/third listen.  Looking forward to hear more of your music. KUDOS, my friend!

Kev
    post edited by drumstixkev - 2011/02/16 19:47:46

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

Paul G
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2334
    Re:woman at the door 2011/02/16 21:29:24 (permalink)
    Nice job, Ioannis.  Great voice.  I know that you probably don't want to hear this but I can hear you singing country. 

Intel i7-4790K, Win7 Pro, 16GB Ram
    1TB OS, 2TB Audio, 1TB Samples
    Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
    Cakewalk by Bandlab
    Paul Robert Glaser
    The Brothers Glaser
    SoundClick
    giankap
    Re:woman at the door 2011/02/17 07:38:39 (permalink)
    Paul G

Nice job, Ioannis.  Great voice.  I know that you probably don't want to hear this but I can hear you singing country. 

I don't know about that..... but I'm a huuuuuuuge fan of the Eagles (their harmonies are divine), and of course I love our boy Johnny Cash!
    post edited by giankap - 2011/02/17 07:40:15

sincerely,

Ioannis

some work
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1