Keyboard that's a computer too !

Author
kev11111111111111
Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1772
2011/02/15 16:33:32 (permalink)

Keyboard that's a computer too !

Hey,
I've been looking into replacing my old (dinosaur even) Triton.I found this http://www.musiccomputing.com/studioblade What I like about it,is its a computer and a keyboard workstation.So you use libraries like vienna,eastwest etc actually in the keyboard !! Its using windows 7.What do you think of this ? The thing I'm worried about is that it may wear like a computer too (eg five years and it will become junk) Anyone already bought this keyboard ? I'd love to hear your feedback on it ! Its called a studioblade,
Cheers
Kev

17 Replies Related Threads

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Keyboard that's a computer too ! 2011/02/15 16:45:56 (permalink)
    The size of that thing seems huge in the video (or the guy is really small). What if one part fails - keys, screen, some button??
    You have to carry your whole studio away for three weeks to be fixed .(?) The size of the screen...hmmmm.

Might be good, might not....

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    kev11111111111111
    Re:Keyboard that's a computer too ! 2011/02/15 17:05:58 (permalink)
    Yes the screen is small isn't it ? But they can be wired to a monitor apparently.What worries me most is how durable the parts are.I imagine you can do backups (just like on a computer) so maybe that wouldn't be a big deal if anything went wrong you could copy the harddrive onto another computer ? Its defo a big step on the keyboard market..I thought it was game over for these guys what with the prices of computers and software coming down so much over the last few years.Cool innovation anyway,I'll be keeping an eye on them I think ! THanks for your posyt
    Kev
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Keyboard that's a computer too ! 2011/02/15 18:55:00 (permalink)
    Kev I have been doing some research on this type of instrument for quite a while now and it started with OpenLabs. This is the same concept all be it more expensive. Victor is the brain child behind this and now has left and started up his own company Music Computing.

I think where this type instrument really works is if you are a keyboard player and you want an instrument that is reliable, robust and powerful. It represents a real alternative to a straight out hardware keyboard like MOTIF or FANTOM or NORD etc. But the thing with these hardware instruments is that they are limited to a certain extent. Once you option them up with everything there is not much more you can do. Firmware updates happen for a time but then usually stop. Wheras with StudioBlade you can have anything you want in there such as Kontakt, Wusik, Native stuff etc etc And install and run Sonar and now even Pro Tools 9 as well or any software of your choice. But it does represent good value for money because it comes standard with Presonus S1 and an army of synths and sound libraries too. You dont need to spend anything more on it as it has everything to start with. I think he has kept the price sensible too.

StudioBlade on the other hand would allow you to constantly update and change your virtual instruments etc...and software etc. The small touch screen is fine as you would only be using it live for simpler tasks etc. And you can connect a larger monitor back in the studio etc. Apparently there is an upgrade path so you may be able to even change the mother board over at some point and keep up with the latest computers etc, not sure on that.

I would not see it as a complete alternative to a recording setup. It is portable so that is good but then a laptop with the appropriate attachments can do that job too. The IDock is an interesting concept at Music Computing though where you attach your laptop and turn it into a hardware synth concept when needed.

I do wonder about the possibility of these things also becoming obsolete in a few years and you will find them on ebay for $200!

But anyway good to bring it up as overall I think the concept is an interesting one. Check out the touch screen at Music Computing too and watch the videos of Victor using Presonus S1 with his hands and fingers. That seems very cool to me.

BTW I have seen some reviews for StudioBlade already and they gave it a big thumbs up in terms of build quailty and reliability. There is another very good built in software program that links all the controllers to your software etc. Making it very easy to setup. S1 also does that too.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Keyboard that's a computer too ! 2011/02/16 11:23:51 (permalink)
    Jeff about nails it.  It is a computer in a keyboard and controller.  And yes, they come w/ two monitor outputs, so the built-in touchscreen is just that, for control mostly (or on stage).  You can add a bigger main screen.

There is some obsolescence, although the OpenLabs stuff was supposed to be CPU and motherboard upgradable.  I'm not sure how far in the future that would take you.  But it should be fast enough that even if you get a new double-terrabit solid state computer in a few years, you could still run your older, pre VST5 synths on it.

As far as controller stuff in it - I guess you could add whatever you need to it (fader, etc.).  The only downside is the built-in PreSonus sound.  Not that Presonus is bad, still that is a marketing problem for higher end users.  I think you can get it w/o the interface built in.

I imagine it is almost as durable as a synth workstation for live work, and probably hardier than most laptops.  It is expensive, but when you consider buy not just a workstation and high-end computer, it is probably a good deal.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    kev11111111111111
    Re:Keyboard that's a computer too ! 2011/02/16 18:36:46 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans

Kev I have been doing some research on this type of instrument for quite a while now and it started with OpenLabs. This is the same concept all be it more expensive. Victor is the brain child behind this and now has left and started up his own company Music Computing.

I think where this type instrument really works is if you are a keyboard player and you want an instrument that is reliable, robust and powerful. It represents a real alternative to a straight out hardware keyboard like MOTIF or FANTOM or NORD etc. But the thing with these hardware instruments is that they are limited to a certain extent. Once you option them up with everything there is not much more you can do. Firmware updates happen for a time but then usually stop. Wheras with StudioBlade you can have anything you want in there such as Kontakt, Wusik, Native stuff etc etc And install and run Sonar and now even Pro Tools 9 as well or any software of your choice. But it does represent good value for money because it comes standard with Presonus S1 and an army of synths and sound libraries too. You dont need to spend anything more on it as it has everything to start with. I think he has kept the price sensible too.

StudioBlade on the other hand would allow you to constantly update and change your virtual instruments etc...and software etc. The small touch screen is fine as you would only be using it live for simpler tasks etc. And you can connect a larger monitor back in the studio etc. Apparently there is an upgrade path so you may be able to even change the mother board over at some point and keep up with the latest computers etc, not sure on that.

I would not see it as a complete alternative to a recording setup. It is portable so that is good but then a laptop with the appropriate attachments can do that job too. The IDock is an interesting concept at Music Computing though where you attach your laptop and turn it into a hardware synth concept when needed.

I do wonder about the possibility of these things also becoming obsolete in a few years and you will find them on ebay for $200!

But anyway good to bring it up as overall I think the concept is an interesting one. Check out the touch screen at Music Computing too and watch the videos of Victor using Presonus S1 with his hands and fingers. That seems very cool to me.

BTW I have seen some reviews for StudioBlade already and they gave it a big thumbs up in terms of build quailty and reliability. There is another very good built in software program that links all the controllers to your software etc. Making it very easy to setup. S1 also does that too.

Hey Jeff
    I'll have to look into openlabs ! Yes I agree in someway they are much better than the likes of the Nord,Motif etc,in the sense you can upgrade them.I would be using sonar in it,and just using the same VSTs as I already own.I used to write a lot just using a triton and then recording the master onto a computer-the triton never crashed (unlike computers can do) and being limited in terms of FX and tracks made the creative process much easier in some ways - you knew where the limits were so to speak and you had to be resourceful to overcome these limits.This is why I'm excited about this machine,its combining the best of both worlds-the computer and the keyboard workstation.My triton is nearly dead now lol,so this might be a good step to take !
    Thanks for your post,sorry mine is pretty short in comparision....I'm tired and I need my bed !!
    Kev

kev11111111111111
    Re:Keyboard that's a computer too ! 2011/02/16 18:39:53 (permalink)
    AT

Jeff about nails it.  It is a computer in a keyboard and controller.  And yes, they come w/ two monitor outputs, so the built-in touchscreen is just that, for control mostly (or on stage).  You can add a bigger main screen.

There is some obsolescence, although the OpenLabs stuff was supposed to be CPU and motherboard upgradable.  I'm not sure how far in the future that would take you.  But it should be fast enough that even if you get a new double-terrabit solid state computer in a few years, you could still run your older, pre VST5 synths on it.

As far as controller stuff in it - I guess you could add whatever you need to it (fader, etc.).  The only downside is the built-in PreSonus sound.  Not that Presonus is bad, still that is a marketing problem for higher end users.  I think you can get it w/o the interface built in.

I imagine it is almost as durable as a synth workstation for live work, and probably hardier than most laptops.  It is expensive, but when you consider buy not just a workstation and high-end computer, it is probably a good deal.

@

thanks for your input AT !
    Kev

AT
    Re:Keyboard that's a computer too ! 2011/02/16 18:41:26 (permalink)
    Kev,

I dont' think that OpenLabs is open for business anymore.  They went kaput, and musiccomputing bought them out.  Either that or the lead developer opened his own company (I know OL was in bankruptcy, but didn't follow the story).

But unless you buy used, Musiccomputing is the only game in town.  I'm actually surprized more people haven't put together their own systems.

@

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    7-string_guy
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 430
    Re:Keyboard that's a computer too ! 2011/02/17 19:51:14 (permalink)
    that's 3000.00 i could spend on mics....lol  looks cool though.

lets add it up

even if it had a better core and ram , say an i7 with 16gb
    that's - 1500-2000 bucks for the tower

500 - 800 for a good keyboard

300 - 400 will get you a 32 inch lcd instead of a 'what is that a 12 inch' lol

I think I'd still buy the components separately.

but it looks awesome

I7 2600k 3.4g on a ASUS MB with 16 gb of ram
    FireFace 400 AI / Sonar 8.5 Producer / ToonTrack Superior Drummer 2
    Alesis M1 Active MKII / Ibanez 7 string / Fender Super-Sonic
    Schecter studio 5 bass / Boss Dr. Rhythm 880 , also Yamaha DTX full rack drum pad trigger system
    Jeff Evans
    Re:Keyboard that's a computer too ! 2011/02/17 20:27:07 (permalink)
    Firstly OpenLabs have not gone out of business. Victor has simply left and started up his own company. Some of the Open Labs stuff might be worth looking into as well but the only model would be the top of the line Neko and it is quite expensive now. (nearly $7000)

I still would consider StudioBlade as an alternative to a hardware synth rather than a portable recording system although it can fulfill that role as well. It is going to be much more powerful in the end than any hardware synth.

Buying the components separately is not the way to look at it so much either because you will never be able to build a chasis like that with all those buttons and controllers on it, a nice keyboard controller as well as a motherboard that is horizontally placed etc, built in audio interface etc.. What people don't realise either is there in the case of Open Labs another special software program that runs over Windows called the Shell which brings everything together and integrates everything so well. The Shell was 6 years in the making. StudioBlade also has special software that runs on top of everything making everything work and also making the job of linking all those controllers to your software fast and painless. (Although Studio One does that too) This software does not interfere with any of your programs in any way.

In terms of value it is excellent because you get everything and don't forget all the software that comes with it so you wont need anything else. Of course you can install Sonar and other stuff too which only adds to the power of it all. So for around $3000 I see it as excellent value. You wont get too many really great hardware synths for that money and they are still limited compared to StudioBlade. In the one review I did read they said the build quality was excellent.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    AT
    Re:Keyboard that's a computer too ! 2011/02/17 21:15:20 (permalink)
    Ah, Jeff, I just knew they were in bankruptcy.  Doesn't mean much these days, since you can pop out.

Yea, buying componets.  First, the screen is a touch screen.  There is the controller aspect, too, which looks a little more high class and robust than slapping a behringer beside the computer.  There is software too, tho I can't remember what exactly, some kind of sampler or searchable thing.  Finally, as Jeff says, the whole thing looks substantial.  So if you are gigging, that is important.

$3000 ain't chickenfeed, but it does seem about right considering you get a soft synth player, controller surface and recording studio.

@

Positively Charged
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 744
    Re:Keyboard that's a computer too ! 2011/02/24 00:36:11 (permalink)
    Guys, I'm not too keen on the idea of these things:

• Defragging my synth's hard drive.
    • Applying Windows updates to my synth.
    • Installing and running an antivirus package on my synth.
    • Backing up my synth's hard drive.  Okay, I do back up my Triton from time to time, but still...a hard drive?
    • Rebooting my synth after a BSOD.  Okay, now that's REALLY NOT RIGHT!   
    • Booting my synth and receiving "No Disk", "No Keyboard", "No Memory", "No fill-in-the-blank".
    • Seeing "Copyright, Microsoft Corporation" displayed on my Synth's splash screen.
    And I have some questions:

What do you do when your MusicComputing machine needs to have the HSF blown out with compressed air?  Or when the hard drive crashes?  Or if a memory stick fails?  Or if (OMG!) you have some bad capacitors begin to burst on the motherboard?  Will it house a standard form factor motherboard?

Are these things easy to disassemble and service, or does it need to go back to the factory for a simple power supply changeout?  Can I quickly swap out major components?   Can you reinstall Win7 64 bit from a "real" install DVD if you need to rebuild with a new motherboard and CPU?

I think most hardware synths are pretty tough.  I have a Korg and a Roland and they're both holding up fine.  They're basically little computers, I know that.  But they have small processors that don't do a lot of work compared to a processor running Windows 7 and a bunch of VSTs.  Synths don't generally have heat problems and don't usually need water coolers or loud fans.  Even their floppy disk drives still work fine for backups.  But by contrast, full-blown Windows computers have many more points of possible failure, from hard drives, to graphic cards, motherboards, CPUs, memory sticks, and chipsets, down to the monitors and I/O controllers.

Even laptops have "somewhat" swappable components.
    AT
    Re:Keyboard that's a computer too ! 2011/02/24 00:52:44 (permalink)
    "Even paranoids have enemies."

I don't know about the new ones, but the old Open computers were built for everything to be swapped out as newer boards, etc. became available.  Or failed, in your case.

@

Positively Charged
    Re:Keyboard that's a computer too ! 2011/02/24 00:58:22 (permalink)
    AT

Wow, this IS a rough neighborhood.  Should I have witheld my opinion?
    Jeff Evans
    Re:Keyboard that's a computer too ! 2011/02/24 02:22:39 (permalink)
    I think that the idea of an instrument like the Music Computing StudioBLADE is a good idea. Powerwise they are still streets in front of even the best hardware synths.

Let me address a few concerns from Positively Charged post. And if you are truely positively charged you would not be thinking about the negative aspets of an instrument like this but rather all the positive aspects instead.

Defragging my synth's hard drive.
    If you were using it as a synth a lot of the time you would not need to do this. The only time you do this if you install a big sound library for one of your VST's. And even then you are only adding more sounds, not re arranging the hardrive. You would still have a separate hardrive for the sound libraries.

Applying Windows updates to my synth. What's the problem there. It is not as if you are doing that everyday of the week.

Installing and running an antivirus package on my synth. You don't need to. You would only connect this machine to the net from time to time to update VST's and add to libraries etc.  All you need is Microsoft Security Essentials and keep it up to date and switched off most of the time. Just activate before going on line. It is free and does a great job.

Backing up my synth's hard drive.  Okay, I do back up my Triton from time to time, but still...a hard drive? Not a bad thing to do from time to time and all you need to do is make a clone of the synth libraries drive.

Rebooting my synth after a BSOD.  Okay, now that's REALLY NOT RIGHT!  You should not experience that often if at all. Open Labs users have sad they have done heavy tours and not had a single issue. Music Computing synth sounds like it is also well built and solid.
    (Take a Yamaha MOTIF or Kurzweil out with you if you are really worried!)

Booting my synth and receiving "No Disk", "No Keyboard", "No Memory", "No fill-in-the-blank".
    I would be more inclined to go with StudioBLADE as opposed to IKeyDock. There are more opportunities for these things maybe to happen with that. If you keep telling yourself that is going to happen, it will. Tell yourself the opposite instead. Look on the bright side. It could switch on everytime for years without a hitch as well.

Why I like this concept is the broad range of VST's you have at your disposal. Or a nice stable VST host program for which there are many. And if you need a sequencer you have got something way better than the internal sequencer of any hardware synth mainly Presonus Studio One Pro or Sonar if you want it. Playing back complex backing tracks would also be a breeze for a unit like this. And don't forget all the controllers you have available on the front panel of StudioBLADE for connecting to your sequencer or VST's. Soundwise we are seriously in the realms of amazing fat and incredible sounding VST's that are jaw dropping.

Motherboard is standard I am pretty sure and so is the powersupply. Computers are quite reliable devices actually. It has had a great thumbs up for build quality. I would still be treating it well anyway and transporting around in a nice roadcase. It could replace a whole raft of hardware synths that you might use in a larger tribute show or whatever. Just have one instrument. There is a 88 note version as well for better key splits etc..

Positively Charged
    Re:Keyboard that's a computer too ! 2011/02/24 10:24:44 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans

Let me address a few concerns from Positively Charged post. And if you are truely positively charged you would not be thinking about the negative aspets of an instrument like this but rather all the positive aspects instead.  
    Haha, I never said that "I" was positvely charged.  On some days I no doubt am.  Most of the time, I like to think of my forum name as not so much a claim, but more of a goal.  Something to aspire to.  But within reason of course.  "Overpositivity" is annoying and can come off as fake. 

Of course, asking the hard questions, though seemingly negative in nature, can actually provide an opportunity for something positive to happen in the final result.  I do not have to be the one to bring the positivity for positivity to be possible. Sharing is good.
    Jeff, you make a very good and well-considered case in favor of this type of instrument.  So I guess my work is done here. 
    post edited by Positively Charged - 2011/02/24 10:26:39
    AT
    Re:Keyboard that's a computer too ! 2011/02/24 10:43:25 (permalink)
    Positively Charged

AT

Wow, this IS a rough neighborhood.  Should I have withheld my opinion?
    Ah, Positively, I was just funning.  I guess I should have used a big ;-)  Forums don't have faces to read, and there are a lot of serious types here.  Some even belligerent.  Most of us ain't that way.

So, no, always state your opinion.  I just thought it was funny you imagining the worst possible things, which isn't a bad thing if you are going to spend $3000.  I'm curious, too, about how accessible the innards are.  I am going to try to see if I can try one  - it is an Austin (TX) venture.

@

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Keyboard that's a computer too ! 2011/02/24 11:03:48 (permalink)
    AT

Positively Charged

AT

Wow, this IS a rough neighborhood.  Should I have withheld my opinion?
    Ah, Positively, I was just funning.  I guess I should have used a big ;-)  Forums don't have faces to read, and there are a lot of serious types here.  Some even belligerent.  Most of us ain't that way.

So, no, always state your opinion.  I just thought it was funny you imagining the worst possible things, which isn't a bad thing if you are going to spend $3000.  I'm curious, too, about how accessible the innards are.  I am going to try to see if I can try one  - it is an Austin (TX) venture.

@

Hey, AT, let me know if you get one of these for a demo.  I'm not interested in buying one, but I'm really curious about how it's built and how versatile and upgradable it really is.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1