FAULTY Cakewalk UA-25-EX ?

Author
Joel_
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2011/02/16 08:01:09 (permalink)

FAULTY Cakewalk UA-25-EX ?

Hi guys,

First time posting - as this may potentially be the first time I've had a problem with this unit. Bought in May last year from an Internet company, so still under warranty, but have been told a 3 week turnaround may result so I'm trying to establish with the more knowledgeable on here whether or not this UA-25-EX is actually faulty...

I'm trying to record DJ mixes (from a Behringer DJX750 mixer) through the Cakewalk, on to my PC.

Before explaining the problem I should mention my setup:

KRK Rokit 8 GP2 Monitors
Cakewalk UA-25-EX Audio Interface
Behringer DJX750 mixer (with two Denon DNHS5500 Decks)

Cables wise they are all top notch... I have RCA to XLR male leads going from the 'TAPE OUT' on the mixer into the inputs of the Cakewalk (Die hard Cables)

I've got Diehard XLR to Jack leads going from the Jack outputs of the Cakewalk into the Rokits.

The problem I am having is that when I play back a recorded piece of music it is heavily distorted - when playing, it's fine.

I have tried both Audacity and Soundforge - and get the problem in both - I've checked the recording input levels on the UA-25-EX on the computer and the slider is half way.

I have made sure the levels are not clipping in Audacity and Soundforge and they are not; both clearly in the green and no red lights.

I've made sure there are no red lights on the mixer on the Channel LEDS or Master LEDS.

Tried swapping over the Master Outs and the TAPE outs on the mixer and playing through my mixer to my monitors with the TAPE out function and get no distortion - so eliminated the mixer being at fault. I've tested the RCA to XLR cables going from the mixer to the inputs of the Cakewalk by putting the input XLR end into one of the monitors (taking out the existing RCA in) and playing it - no distortion  - so the cables and the mixer seem ok.

I've verified that the settings on the Cakewalk are fine:

Sens is right down on both knobs. 44.1 is the sample rate on the back. Phantom is off, advanced driver is On. I've alternated between NOR and LIFT with no luck and Comp is set to bypass.

The guy then said by process of elimination it must be the Cakewalk that has faulty XLR inputs...

Or is there something else he, or I are missing? Is this unit any good for recording DJ mixers?

Thanks for any help!!!!!

1 Reply Related Threads

Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:FAULTY Cakewalk UA-25-EX ? 2011/02/16 15:04:06 (permalink)
    What you're hearing when recording may not be what is being recorded because your device has input monitoring. Depending on how it is set you may be hearing audio that is going into the device. You might try turning the input monitoring down and enabling input echo on the software you are using so you can hear what is actually being recorded.

Would it be possible for you to post a screencap of a recorded stereo audio waveform?
    post edited by Chappel - 2011/02/16 15:38:10
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1