Where Has All The Love Gone (New Mix)

Author
Paul G
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2334
2011/02/16 21:04:42 (permalink)

Where Has All The Love Gone (New Mix)

Hi guys.  Here's that song with the trumpets and banjo! All comments are welcome.  In particular, I'd like to know what you all would do with the percussion in this mix?  Also, what would you call this?  I don't know how to list this one on SoundClick.  Thanks to all!

Paul

http://www.soundclick.com...05&songID=10289089

Thanks for all the great suggestions!  I've put up a new mix, (2/20).

post edited by Paul G - 2011/02/20 00:53:04

Intel i7-4790K, Win7 Pro, 16GB Ram
1TB OS, 2TB Audio, 1TB Samples
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
Cakewalk by Bandlab
Paul Robert Glaser
The Brothers Glaser
SoundClick

9 Replies Related Threads

danbob
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 143
    Re:Where Has All The Love Gone 2011/02/16 21:59:27 (permalink)
    Gidday Paul.  We surely get all kinds of music here, don't we!

Re percussion: The shaker in the right speaker is a little distracting.  Perhaps move it so it's not hard-panned, and bring it back a bit? The snare has that 80s glam rock reverb feel to it, and I'm not sure if it suits the song or not.  Feels ssquashed into the mix too, is it over-comressed a bit?  I've a feeling that some EQ carves might be needed to make some room for us to hear each of the percussion instruments - they're important in a song with this feel, so we should be able to hear them and not have to look for them.

Otherwise, the vox seem a little too up front, especially with some cool trumpeting competing.  Here on my PC speakers, I can't pick a banjo?

I don't know what to call it either.  But well done!

Paul G
    Re:Where Has All The Love Gone 2011/02/17 11:40:40 (permalink)
    danbob

Gidday Paul.  We surely get all kinds of music here, don't we!

Re percussion: The shaker in the right speaker is a little distracting.  Perhaps move it so it's not hard-panned, and bring it back a bit? The snare has that 80s glam rock reverb feel to it, and I'm not sure if it suits the song or not.  Feels ssquashed into the mix too, is it over-comressed a bit?  I've a feeling that some EQ carves might be needed to make some room for us to hear each of the percussion instruments - they're important in a song with this feel, so we should be able to hear them and not have to look for them.

Otherwise, the vox seem a little too up front, especially with some cool trumpeting competing.  Here on my PC speakers, I can't pick a banjo?

I don't know what to call it either.  But well done!

Thanks Danial. 

I did some surgical EQ on the percussion instruments so some carving of the kit may also be in order.  I'm concerned that the kit might be too full overall and that's what's masking the percussion. 

You're right about the snare.  It's what I like but it may not be appropriate for this style.  I'd appreciate some song/artist references to the dance genre that I'm trying to emulate here. 

Yeah, the vox are probably a bit too up front but we're a vocal group, it's what we do, LOL.  Once the mix is ironed out, we'll see where they are. 

The trumpets were done by Scotty Huff.  Great player!  Are you saying you can't hear the banjo or you can't play one?

Thanks for the comments.

Paul

Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
    Cakewalk by Bandlab
    Paul Robert Glaser
    The Brothers Glaser
    SoundClick
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:Where Has All The Love Gone 2011/02/17 12:51:42 (permalink)
    Hey Paul- I only had time for one listen on the pc speakers, but overall it sounded pretty good to me.  I do have to say that I couldn't pull out the banjo.  The track sounded fine to me, and, of course, the Glaser Bros harmonies are just incredible.  I really like where it started cooking into the end.
    Paul G
    Re:Where Has All The Love Gone 2011/02/18 10:10:55 (permalink)
    philz

Hey Paul- I only had time for one listen on the pc speakers, but overall it sounded pretty good to me.  I do have to say that I couldn't pull out the banjo.  The track sounded fine to me, and, of course, the Glaser Bros harmonies are just incredible.  I really like where it started cooking into the end.

Thanks Phil.

Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
    Cakewalk by Bandlab
    Paul Robert Glaser
    The Brothers Glaser
    SoundClick
    patm300e
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 845
    Re:Where Has All The Love Gone 2011/02/18 13:06:52 (permalink)
    Nice Vox! Recorded very well and harmonies shine.  Trumpet player is very talented.
    PersonallyI don't mind the drums, but  +1 on what danbob says on the shaker.  It seems panned opposite the banjo?  I would prefer a little less shaker (but maybe more cowbell :)  JK...) I keep straining to hear the banjo.  From what I can hear it is well played.

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
    vechung
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 818
    Re:Where Has All The Love Gone 2011/02/18 14:58:18 (permalink)
    Very nice song!  Great singing and production.  It is more like on-the-border-mexican than country.  Are the horns synth?  I need them for one of my songs.

http://www.soundclick.com/vicentechung
    https://soundcloud.com/thefoundandthelost

Vicente 

Sonar Platinum, Live 10, Motu 828, Ozone 7
    Paul G
    Re:Where Has All The Love Gone 2011/02/18 15:42:58 (permalink)
    patm300e

Nice Vox! Recorded very well and harmonies shine.  Trumpet player is very talented.
    PersonallyI don't mind the drums, but  +1 on what danbob says on the shaker.  It seems panned opposite the banjo?  I would prefer a little less shaker (but maybe more cowbell :)  JK...) I keep straining to hear the banjo.  From what I can hear it is well played.

Thanks Pat.  Yeah, Scotty is great.  We're going to use him on some other tunes as well.  I've done some serious Hi-Z additive EQ on that shaker to get it to stand out.  Apparently it's not working.  I'm going back and revisit it. 

The banjo was played by Keith Sewell.  It's supposed to be supporting with the string pad during the second verse.  I'll rework that as well when I get the rhythm section and percussion ironed out.

Thanks again!

Paul

Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
    Cakewalk by Bandlab
    Paul Robert Glaser
    The Brothers Glaser
    SoundClick
    Paul G
    Re:Where Has All The Love Gone 2011/02/18 15:51:08 (permalink)
    vechung

Very nice song!  Great singing and production.  It is more like on-the-border-mexican than country.  Are the horns synth?  I need them for one of my songs.

Hey Vicente.  Thanks.  Yeah, I was wondering where to put it on SC.  Horns are Scotty Huff out of Nashville. 

BTW, nice guitar playing!

Paul

Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
    Cakewalk by Bandlab
    Paul Robert Glaser
    The Brothers Glaser
    SoundClick
    Paul G
    Re:Where Has All The Love Gone 2011/02/20 00:54:32 (permalink)
    I've put up a new mix on this one.  All comments are welcome.  How's the percussion and banjo now?  Thanks.

Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
    Cakewalk by Bandlab
    Paul Robert Glaser
    The Brothers Glaser
    SoundClick
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1