FM Airplay killed my mix. Help!

Author
moffdnb
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1332
2011/02/17 08:42:13 (permalink)

FM Airplay killed my mix. Help!

Hi folks,

Got some airplay the other day on a Radio station and noticed some volume dips when the low end of my tracks kicks in.  I'm sure this is due to heavy compression on the broadcast output.  I need to get to the bottom of this though as all the other commercial tracks featured on the show sounded fine and did not suffer from this issue.  Leads me to thinking that my own "Home mastering" is a contributing factor in this case.

I don't have the right setup at home to do a pro mastering job and only run the final mix through T-Racks to get overall levels up mostly.  The tracks in question are getting pro mastered now and am trying to suggest to the engineer that the low end may need some more control but am worried the the dynamics might suffer. 

Is this a mix issue or a mastering issue and has anyone had something similar with DEMOS being played on air and then finding that pro mastering has improved things?

13 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:FM Airplay killed my mix. Help! 2011/02/17 09:05:47 (permalink)
    I would look "closer to home" for the source of the mix irregularities.

It's been a long time since I have spoken with a radio station engineer to see how the industry sets their compression these days. I would suspect that they are not compressing as heavily as they did in the past since many bands and artists these days are doing the compression on the product. 

I've had a few tunes receive airplay and they sounded very close to the sound I was hearing in the studio. No major surprises, aside from the initial surprise of hearing my tune coming out of the car speakers. Nothing like the first time that happens.

Since you mentioned the gear in your studio "I don't have the right setup at home to do a pro mastering job..." I would suspect that to be the reason.  You need to be able to monitor the sound accurately to get a mix that translates well on most other commercial players.

A pro mastering job might help.... assuming that the tracking and mixing is spot on.  The mix and the tracking has to be done right or you are simply wasting money on the pro mastering.  No amount of professional mastering can make up for a poor tracking and/or mixing job. they are limited to what they can do if the bass track is poorly recorded.

My suggestion is, if you are at the point where you are getting airplay, spend the money on some good studio monitors so you can hear the mix accurately.  You don't get too many chances to get it right on the radio. If the mix is sub-par, you can believe the DJ and station programmer know that. If you get a second chance for airplay and that mix is sub-par also, chances are good, that it will be the last one they ever play from you.  There's too much good  music out there for them to be wasting valuable airtime on a mix that sounds bad, amateurish, or has level issues.

that's just the facts of life in the radio/music biz.

post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/02/17 09:09:51

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:FM Airplay killed my mix. Help! 2011/02/17 09:34:32 (permalink)
    A lot of people end up with all kinds of energy below 40hz that they can't hear in a studio with smaller monitors.

You can use a RTA like Span or Visualizer to see the stuff you may not hear.

I place a global low cut below 20-30Hz on all my final mixes... I also use a M/S process to center all the energy below 40-50Hz so that it's not washing back and forth like a big tub of dirty bathwater.

I also make sure that my monitor and room are capable of accurate reproduction down below 200Hz so that I do not mix that region too hot to compensate for monitoring problems.

So, you migh want to use a RTA to look at the lower mids as well.

Then I mix and master as best I can and things seem to work out OK.

Good Luck and congrats on the radio play.

Have Fun!!!

best regards,
    mike

Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:FM Airplay killed my mix. Help! 2011/02/17 09:50:29 (permalink)
    I also use a M/S process to center all the energy below 40-50Hz

Hey Mike, fancy elaborating on that?

Sounds like an extremely worthwhile process seeing as you start to lose L/R information the lower you get.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    moffdnb
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1332
    Re:FM Airplay killed my mix. Help! 2011/02/17 09:52:51 (permalink)
    KRK Rp5 monitors and some bass traps in room.  Its not the my gear is below par but moreso I'm not too skilled at mastering end of things and can't really crank it like a pro mastering facility can do. 

I'm sure I can always improve mixes but they do translate well on most systems i've tried.  Its just this airplay thing that has knocked me a little.  I may have slightly exaggerated the issue but there was defo some dips in volume.
    codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re:FM Airplay killed my mix. Help! 2011/02/17 10:15:41 (permalink)

It's been a long time since I have spoken with a radio station engineer to see how the industry sets their compression these days. I would suspect that they are not compressing as heavily as they did in the past since many bands and artists these days are doing the compression on the product.

Most commercial recording are mastered differently these days for the market they go to. The CD will be mastered louder, while a mix going to the radio stations have a lot less compression because the radio stations still squash it to death in a fight to be the loudest. If a squashed mix/master is sent to the station it only get's worse. (The mix itself is the same - it is the master that is different)

This is a practise I am aware of in my geographical area with the genre I work with most of the time (Canada, Country/Country Rock stations), and I fully understand this may not hold true everywhere and in every genre. Please accept my opinion with that in mind.

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    Re:FM Airplay killed my mix. Help! 2011/02/17 11:00:39 (permalink)
    Codamedia's right.  There are lots of articles in the ether that you can read about mastering for radio .vs mastering for hardcopy release.

Everyone here has covered it pretty well.  Your problem is very probably that there is simply too much low end in your mix in certain areas.

Another problem could be that the squashed areas of your mix are getting squashed again when they get air play.

AND...it could be that you are just too sensitive to the changes that happen over the air....and it sounds just fine.

In my opinion, you're better off just simply NORMALIZING a track that is going on air than you are doing a hack-mastering job.

Even if your mix isn't perfect, a good mastering engineer will be able to fix it up for air play.  Good move on your part.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:FM Airplay killed my mix. Help! 2011/02/17 11:32:32 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey

Sounds like an extremely worthwhile process seeing as you start to lose L/R information the lower you get.

You can set up your own M/S matrix or use one of many new dsp EQ's that offer M/S internal routing.

Basically you pull down the energy below 40Hz in the sides and boost just a little bit in the mid as "make up" gain for the energy reduced in the sides.

It's a common mastering procedure that is trickling down to end user mixers that "master" in house.

best regards,
    mike

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:FM Airplay killed my mix. Help! 2011/02/17 11:54:11 (permalink)
    Nice explanation of the mastering trick, Mike.

Mono listening can also help, too.

To the OP, be aware that your 5 inch woofers aren't going down far enough to hear any problems.  Mike's advice to high pass is a good one, and doing it per track during mixing is a good and subtle way (rather than having to filter harder during mastering).   I usually high pass and raise the filter frequency until I can hear it cut, then back off.

If you can, take your mix to a nice studio with a full range system.  If you are getting airplay you probably know local band members.  They probably have used such a studio.  make contact - many studios will let you take a quick listen early or late for nothing (hoping for your future business/contacts) or a nominal fee.  Be honest - you can be surprised how well that works.  If you can't swing a listen there, find a friend with a big woofer system - even a bad home system can reveal low end problems that you can't hear on your system.  these are probably kicking off the radio's compressor, causing the dip in higher frequencies.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    ba_midi
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:FM Airplay killed my mix. Help! 2011/02/17 12:50:10 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey

Get Brainworx bx_Control2 -- it will do the trick easily on any mix.

I can't live without it anymore (though it's not the only thing I do to get the mix right).

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    ba_midi
    Re:FM Airplay killed my mix. Help! 2011/02/17 12:53:25 (permalink)
    It's not just the energy/freqs below 40Hz that can cause problems.

Too much mud in the 200-350 range can do that too.

Also - a lot of mixing engineers/mastering engineers use side-chain filtering to get rid of the gunk in the extreme lows so that they are not pushing the compressors/limiters.   This is a wel-known, often-used approach along with M/S techniques.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

feedback50
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    Re:FM Airplay killed my mix. Help! 2011/02/17 15:29:41 (permalink)
    First read the document at this link.

http://www.orban.com/support/orban/techtopics/Appdx_Radio_Ready_The_Truth_1.3.pdf

It gives you an idea of what your mix will go through before it gets to someone's radio. Many M.E.'s will do a radio mix and a CD mix with different limiting to avoid the problems.

It's really the vicious circle of the volume-wars. Producers/Musicians wanted their record to sound like the songs on the radio (which were being Orban-processed to make the station's average volume louder than the next station down the dial). So mastering engineers started doing some of the same things before the CD went off for pressing. This made things even more compressed on the radio, so bands now wanted their CDs to sound like the now twice-compressed/limited sounds they heard. It never seems to end, except that the wonderful effects of MP3 compression make it that much worse. Sadly we have a medium with close to 96db dynamic range, of which we use less than 10 db (all at the top end).
    ba_midi
    Re:FM Airplay killed my mix. Help! 2011/02/17 16:52:50 (permalink)
    feedback50

http://www.orban.com/support/orban/techtopics/Appdx_Radio_Ready_The_Truth_1.3.pdf

It gives you an idea of what your mix will go through before it gets to someone's radio. Many M.E.'s will do a radio mix and a CD mix with different limiting to avoid the problems.

It's really the vicious circle of the volume-wars. Producers/Musicians wanted their record to sound like the songs on the radio (which were being Orban-processed to make the station's average volume louder than the next station down the dial). So mastering engineers started doing some of the same things before the CD went off for pressing. This made things even more compressed on the radio, so bands now wanted their CDs to sound like the now twice-compressed/limited sounds they heard. It never seems to end, except that the wonderful effects of MP3 compression make it that much worse. Sadly we have a medium with close to 96db dynamic range, of which we use less than 10 db (all at the top end).

This somewhat adds an interesting aspect to the term -- often touted in marketing and elsewhere for DAWs -- "Radio Ready" 

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re:FM Airplay killed my mix. Help! 2011/02/17 18:05:16 (permalink)
    feedback50

Thanks for this link! A quick glance indicates this is going to be a great read!

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1